We just received an overhaul on one of our D11 dozers. It came back with new glass on the cab. There is a piece that runs around the glass to protect the edge (I am assuming). Is anyone familiar with this product and what it is?
The piece around the edge is the seal that holds the glass in.
I know there is a urethane they are using now to install the glass. This is almost a decorative piece that runs around the edge and a 1/2" of the surface of the glass. It might be vinyl or plastic? Any ideas what I mean?
I don't think they glue any of the windows into the D11s yet. I know all of our Rs still have the rubber and I think the Ts do as well, but It's been quite a while, so I don't quite remember for sure.
"Windshield Gasket" or "Weatherstripping" in the automotive world. Alex.
They use the urethane on a lot of machines but not TTT as yet. The reason the glas has to be "isolated" from the frame by the weatherstrip is the relative movement of the cab structure. If the windows were installed with urethane they would crack in short order. We have just converted the cab door windows on our 16Ms from urethane-bonded to "zip-in" using weatherstrip like on your D11 because we were sick to death of windows cracking.
The molding a common part that Cat sells, or you can purchase it from most glass dealers that handle heavy equipment. Note: The molding sold by cat is more expensive. Also thicker and more durable.
May have got upgraded to what they call "40psi" set up, this is mainly for machines that have potential to fall down a hole, read coal plant feed hopper or the like and will stop the windows caving in when the machine is buried.