Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“New guy”, could really use some input and advise on buying my first dozer!

JDDozerman ยท 2011-09-05 21:22

Hello, I'm getting ready to purchase my first "dozer" (although I have operated some, just never "owned" one), and I could really use some advise, and input, if anyone cares to give it! I prefer hydraulic rather than cable dozers, I'm hoping to stay in the $12 to $20,000.00 price range, and nothing smaller than a D5 or D6 (or comparable). I have looked at a 71 IH TD 15B, and 68 TD 20B (both seem in really good shape with 80% or better undercarriages and both run and operate good for their age), a larger 1980 IH TD 25C, "older" Case 750's, or 850's, Cat D6 or D7 D's and E's(I know some of the older ones were under powered), a 74 Fiat Allis 11B (I really liked this one, and it seems to be in great condition!), and others of the same comparable size. I'm HOPING to find one with a ripper on back, but they seem to be kind of scarce, in my price range. I would love to hear some input on what you all think of the Komatsu dozers! Also, I could really use some input on which type of transmissions (i.e. torque converter type, wet vs dry clutch, or ?), and steering "systems" (lever vs. foot pedal), are best, and what to stay away from, or watch out for. What about these ones that have a "decelerator"? I read some negative things about them, so any input would be greatly appreciated. The 68 IH TD 20B has this "decelerator", that's why I'm asking. Basically, any info regarding what is best to look for, what to avoid, etc. would really be appreciated, and I'm disabled, so I'm probably better off going with "lever steering", since my legs were crushed, and I have limited use of them. I guess I should add, I'm needing it to do some serious land clearing on my farm, such as removing Locust and cedar trees, doing some land leveling, and to build some smaller ponds (1/2 to 3 acres at most). The soil on my farm, here in north central Missouri, is not really bad as far as rocks go, even though I'm in a "hilly" area, but it does have some pretty hard clay in areas. Thank you in advance for your time, consideration, and kindness in helping me out! Sorry for the lengthy post, I was TRYING to keep it short, but failed miserably! ops Thank you, JDDozerman :Cowboy

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies71
  1. #1JMJ_D312011-09-05 22:59

    I was in the same boat your in a few months ago buying my first Dozer. It took me seven months to find what I wanted in my price range. I ended up buying a 1985 Kamatsu D31. Hang in there you will find what your looking for.

  2. #2monkey2011-09-06 00:00

    I also bought a used D31 Komotsu probably 12 yrs ago, other than finally redoing the undercarriage, the thing is bullet proof. Probably way to small for what you are looking for. For the price range you are looking at though, it's going to be tough to find something big that isn't going to need quite a bit of work on it to be reliable

  3. #3JDDozerman2011-09-06 00:04

    I know what you mean, I do have several in mind that I have been looking at, I was just hoping to get some "expertise" regarding what to look for, and what to avoid, and maybe what the best makes and models, in the size, and price range, I'm looking for, would be. For instance I know some of the older Cats were pretty underpowered compared to their competitors at that time (I think early 60's and older, if I remember correctly?). I also was hoping to get an idea of which type of transmissions hold up the best, as well as what type of steering system, etc.. I know each make and model can all have their "quirks", or shortcomings, I am just hoping to narrow the field as to what years, makes, and models, would be the "best bang for my buck"! Thanks for the reply, I will find something, I just want to try and get the best one I can for my money.

  4. #4wrwtexan2011-09-06 00:11

    I have a TD 20B which is a good machine but hard to get parts for. For your handicap, the steering controls would work well if it is in good working order as the operator pulls back part way the power assisted hand lever to release the steering "clutch" for drift steer and then all the way to release the clutch and apply brake for hard turns. The brake discs have to still be in good shape for everything to be adjusted together. I had to repack my left brake and if I had to get new parts, they were $50 apiece for 10 separators and $80 each for 8 lined discs. Luckily found some good used discs and had a friend laser cut new separators. This machine is 165 HP and is a good performer. The engine is a DT 429 and only used in the crawlers and one oddball tractor. On a powershift machine, the decelerator is a must. As the benefits of a powershift is quick forward to reverse shifting, it idles down the engine before engaging clutches for the opposite direction. Saves a lot of wear and shock on the transmission and clutches. Wouldn't hurt to have them on standard transmissions.

  5. #5Seabass2011-09-06 00:16

    Hey there JDDozerman, You brought up a fair amount of questions and I look forward to what answers will come up. I think a couple questions you have to ask yourself is what dealers are nearby that will be helpful in terms of parts. Also, I don't know how big your trees are so that may determine in size of your future Cat. You will have to evaluate your own time as it translates to money, so a smaller machine will get the job done if time is no factor but if not a bigger (more expensive machine) may be required. Something to consider is a Hydro-static machine if you have limited mobility in your legs, (simple joystick controls) would be easier on you compared to foot brakes, and a decelerator. Good luck.

  6. #6monkey2011-09-06 00:27

    I didn't read all through your post, sorry you might try looking for a smaller/newer machine. I say that because you could probably find something in a little better shape for the money I use my D31 strictly on my farm, for just what you described and it works fine. I would think something along a D4 would be plenty for what you need it for.....just my opinion though. And yeah, you'll definitely want hydrostat for the way you need to operate it

  7. #7JDDozerman2011-09-06 01:31

    I sure appreciate all the wonderful insight, input, and knowledge you all are sharing with me. I do feel like I'm in a bit of a "between a rock and a hard place" type situation here, because of my limited funds as well as my limited leg use (that's what happens when you get your legs crushed!, DON'T try this at home!). I have found MANY machines in my price range, and size, however, I'm trying look at ALL aspects, and make the wisest choice possible! Does anyone have any input regarding Case 1150B's, I have found 3 that all seem to be in good working order, and around $12,000.00 (I'm not sure if that's a good price or not?), are they a good machine? The other thing I'm wondering is, would it be better to get a smaller dozer PLUS a crawler loader, in other words, get a little smaller size, spend less for each, and use them both to get the job done, would that be a good way to go for building ponds? That's really my biggest task, I know I can get the trees removed, even with a smaller dozer, but the pond building is what I'm most concerned with, getting something that will do that the best (under my restrictions). I farm full-time, so I'm not concerned with how fast it gets done, more so, just doing it right! I have quite a bit of experience operating heavy equipment (at least to the size of a D8), and have built ponds before with other peoples equipment, and BEFORE I became disabled. So now I just have to adjust to buying the equipment myself, with limited funds, as well as getting equipment I can operate without a lot of problems because of my loss of leg power. I will keep researching, "brainstorming", and listening to what you all have to say, and thanks again for all your input and kindness! GREAT people here!

  8. #8RDG2011-09-06 05:36

    I would think a case in your situation would be the least attractive, they have four pedals on the floor and a tower with 5 levers on it up between your legs, just about need to be an octopus to handle them. IH would be the easiest as they were the first to bring out hands only steering in the 15 20 & 25 so only two pedals on the floor where as cat and most of the others had three or more, hydrostatic is probably the simplest, one lever usually does it all on them.Cheers RDG.

  9. #9monkey2011-09-06 20:10

    what type of ponds are you planning on? What is their intended use? Basically a flat piece of land and you need to remove a lot of the dirt or a natural depression/draw and will be damming it up and just basically removing trees and cleaning the area out ? If you are just damming up a natural basin, are you trucking in the dirt or planning to try and use what you already have? trying to get an idea on how much material you are wanting to move

  10. #10JDDozerman2011-09-07 03:09

    Thanks for the input on the Case, RDG, I realize they have 4 pedals, but I wasn't sure if they had pedal steering, if they aren't it still might work ok for me. I thought WITH all those hand levers that maybe they were a "lever steer"? The ones I'm looking at are 1977-85 Case 1150's, if anyone has more info on them, are they good machines, I'd love to hear about it?! Hey Monkey, I have SEVERAL, small to large size, tree filled draws on my farm that I both want/need to dam up, for both flood control, erosion, and a couple of the smaller ones I would be using for watering cattle. So ALL of them will be using what I already have, as far as dirt, and clay. I guess you could safely say I will be moving a LOT of "soil" around, for sure!PLUS having a LOT of trees, of various sizes, to knock down! Each day I find more and more dozers in my price range, and that seem in remarkable good shape, considering most of them are from the 70's, and early 80's. I just want to find one that has lever steering, is the most durable, easy to find parts for, and HOPEFULLY has a ripper on back for all the clay! Today I found a couple Deere 750's, are they any good? I can't find much in the Komatsu line but I also know the least about them, so maybe that's just as well. I sure appreciate all the help here, keep it coming if you would, I can sure use it, and I'm taking "note" of EVERYTHING you all say! Have a great day tomorrow, and you're a great bunch of people, thank you kindly! JDDozerman

  11. #11alrman2011-09-07 06:33

    Re Case 1150B's - they are supposed to be driven/steered using levers. 2 left pedals (L&R brake) push spools in on a control valve, so you could say they are "power assist" - not much leg strength required. The third pedal in from left, is a mechanical cable brake (emergency), hard on the legs - but, it is also connected to the park brake lever, so the pushing on pedal with foot can be assisted by pulling the hand brake lever at same time. I remember reading an article, some years back, of a guy who was a double amputee (both legs) & used to drive an 1150. He used to park his ute right next to the dozer & somehow, climb all over the machine to check oils etc , get up into the seat & operate like any other operator. 1150's can counter rotate as well - not many, if any, powershift dozers of that era can do that.

  12. #12RDG2011-09-07 07:14

    They can be hand steered but to do a pivot turn u still need to apply the foot brake to apply the brake to brake the required side to stop the track plus they have an accelerator pedal not a decelerator and after 10hrs of holding the pedal down the old leg really feels like its done a days work, decelerator any day u only use it to change direction or in tight quarter manourvering. A Case would be the last on my shopping list but thats just me, as for counter rotation JD 750/850 had it as well as EUC/TEREX TC12 / 82-80 and Komatsu D 455 were some that also had it. Cheers RDG.

  13. #13ILLICEMAN2011-09-07 07:49

    Try a D6 c they are bullet prof.So are the d6d.

  14. #14JDDozerman2011-09-07 12:38

    Thanks guys, ALL this information is VERY useful, and appreciated VERY much! I can see RDG's point about the "accelerator", but unless it's really tight (similar to a heavy duty clutch), I don't know that it would be too bad. I've been a drummer for over 35 yrs. and still can play. My main problem is my legs are a lot weaker since being crushed. When trying to walk they will just give out on me, and I hit the ground! They aren't as bad when sitting and just using them on pedals, EXCEPT, when the pedals are strong. I had a IH 1066 tractor I had to sell because it had a heavy duty clutch, and it was all I could do to try and push it in!!! Thank you alrman for the input on the Case 1150's, I do think I will keep them in mind, at least as an option! I have had people tell me I was "CRAZY" for continuing to farm after getting my legs and lower back crushed, but WHY should I quit if I can still figure out ways to do it?!! I love farming, and I would be MISERABLE doing anything else, and if a double amputee can do it, I sure as heck can!!! Hello ILLICEMAN, I have a lake house down by you, between Laurie and Gravois Mills! Anyhow, I'm keeping the D6 and D7 options open, I just haven't found a decent one anywhere close to me, and in my price range. I DID find a Fiat Allis 14C today, it's close to me pretty nice condition, U.C. is 85%, runs and operates good, does tend to over heat on "hot days" (may just be a thermostat), he's asking $12,000.00 for it! Anyone have any experience with these? I hear they are VERY hard to get track parts for!?!? If anyone could give me some input on this model I would sure appreciate it! I'm trying to compare this Fiat Allis 14C to a IH TD 15B or 15C, can anyone give me the "specs" for the 2 of them? Thanks again everyone, for helping out a crippled farmer! I hope I can reciprocate your kindness someday! You all have a great day!

  15. #15monkey2011-09-07 13:59

    you start getting into the bigger ponds, that's a lot of distance to be pushing dirt around with just a dozer. Dirt is funny stuff, seems like you are moving alot of it, but it doesn't go very far (volume wise) my little project pond I've been working on, right now I have moved probably at least 100 dump truck loads just for the dam so far, I'm guessing 150 more to finish it. Most of the clay/dirt I'm digging out is only 200' away from the dam. I just couldn't imagine trying to move it all with just a dozer. Well not mine So yeah you may want to get as big a one as you can. Having a hoe and dump truck really does help me and makes my 31 more than adequate for what i need it for

  16. #16PCSHAY2011-09-07 14:24

    I was hoping somebody else would bring this up; Safety. I admire your self-sufficiency and determination but you may end up aggravating your condition (especially your hips). A dozer is a pretty unforgiving machine when it comes to comfort. Unless you're pushing beach sand you can get jolted around pretty good. You say there aren't many rocks, but if you bounce over one, or are trying to pry one out, it can get pretty hard on the body. You can get slammed by logs or even going over a berm. The obvious question I hate to ask is; how will you get on and off the machine? Guys get hurt all the time slipping on tracks or losing balance. My dad hurt his hip jumping off a machine and it bothered him for 40 years. I'm not trying to discourage you, just give you some things to think about besides just the brand of machine. Maybe a custom seat (more padding) and lengthening the levers would help as well as extra grab-irons.

  17. #17JDDozerman2011-09-07 15:12

    Well, this is exactly why I started this thread! Because "multiple minds" (especially knowledgeable ones), are better than 1! You all are bringing up VERY valid points, and though I have some answers, I may not have them all. I totally agree with Monkey, regarding having multiple machines being a better way to go, however, I can at least get the smaller ponds, and some land clearing and leveling done for sure. I may just have to take my time on the larger ponds, or by that time I may be able to get a hoe, or track loader, to help out. I'm in the process of buying another farm up the road, and I just don't want to take out any other loans right now, because it could have ill effects on my financing. That's why I'm limited in price, to the cash I have on hand, to buy a dozer with, which is about $18,000.00 Also, PCSHAY has some good points on "safety", however, there too I have some things going for me, I work with a program called the "AgrAbility Project", which works with disabled farmers to help them keep farming. ONE of the things they do is to get adaptive equipment that allows, those of us with disabilities, to get on and off equipment in a safe manner (such as lifts, handles, and what have you), my "condition" is one that, my main concern is "falling down", once I'm in the seat I'm fine, and if it gets rough that's ok, I have been over some VERY rough ground with my Oliver 1850 diesel loader tractor, and it has not hindered my condition at all, I may be a little sore at times, but I have R.S.D. (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) which is a disease that for ONE thing, makes your nerves fire "pain signals" ALL the time, so I'm NEVER "out of pain" anyway! When the pain gets too much I just take a break for a bit. It won't make my condition any worse though, and that's the main thing! I know I may be stubborn, but I try to draw the line at "being stupid", and since I'm all ready "buggered up", the LAST thing I want to do is get "buggered up" even MORE! So I do take things slow and easy! As I said in my O.P., I have operated dozers, hoes, graders, and other machinery, so I do have a "base of knowledge" to work with. Now I'm just doing my best to work around my disability's, and be smart about it! Anyhow, I know there will be some "hurdles", but getting a decent sized dozer, to start with, will sure get me on my way towards getting some of the things done around here. It's a start anyway! Thanks again for all the great input! I'm really liking the Fiat Allis 14C, if anyone has any "seat time" in one of these, or knows them at all, I would sure like to hear about them, good, bad, ?

  18. #18PCSHAY2011-09-08 16:58

    You might want to read this. http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=crawlers&th=93606

  19. #19JDDozerman2011-09-09 10:35

    Interesting you brought that up PCSHAY, that's the same exact thing I read that made me a bit concerned about the dozer! It appears that people have other "remedies" for the tracks, such as retro-fitting them with Cat segments, or something to that degree, however, I'm not sure how realistic a proposition that really is. The one I'm looking at is in excellent condition, and the undercarriage (including the chains, pads, grousers, sprockets, rollers, pins, idlers, etc.) is in excellent condition, at about 90%, so theoretically it should be quite some time before I needed to change anything! I'm basically down to choosing between 4 dozers, the 71 IH TD 15B for $12,900.00 in excellent condition, the Fiat Allis 14C for $12,000.00 also in excellent condition, or there is a guy in K.C., MO. that has an 80 IH TD25C (the oil cooler leaks on), and a Cat D7E (that has a "leak on top front of motor), that he is asking $12,000.00 each for. They both look VERY nice in the pics so it makes me wonder WHY he's selling them so cheap??!! There ARE some others I could also look at such as a Case 1150,1450,and 1550, as well as some other IH's, but I'm not finding much of anything in the "Cat" line that's anywhere close to me, or in my price range, which seems a bit odd, I guess they must be selling for quite a bit more than their competitors?!?! Anyway, that's about where I'm at, this is turning out to be harder than I had anticipated, as there is SO much to consider! That's life though! I sure appreciate ALL the help, kindness, and expertise, you all have been showing and giving me, and I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

  20. #20JDDozerman2011-09-09 11:07

    I'm sure you all must be getting tired of me by now, but maybe I could run ONE last thing past you?! I COULD get a 78 IH TD 9B in GREAT condition for $7000.00, and a decent small to mid sized crawler loader, for another $10,000.00, would that be a better "solution" for what I'm needing to do (tree removal, land leveling, and earthen dam pond building in the draws)??? In other words, would this work better than just getting the biggest dozer I could afford, which would just be a "mid sized" dozer? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated! I need to make a decision soon, so I'm getting down to the wire, I just want to make the best choice I can with what I have to work with! Thanks again everyone!!!

  21. #21PCSHAY2011-09-09 17:18

    Here's another idea. Get the biggest dozer you can find and a towed scraper. It moves a lot of dirt and compacts it as well. And they're cheaper and less work than having two powered machines.

  22. #22D6Dave2011-09-10 16:28

    Just bought a old D6B dozer. Never operated a dozer before. Took about a day of playing on it to get used to the controls. I got a lot to learn for sure. My south forty looks like a military bombing range.....hahahhaa.

  23. #23oldtanker2011-09-11 10:18

    I've been reading this with a great deal of interest. I too have leg problems with my knees and have to wear a brace on one to keep from hitting the ground when it goes out. All service connected and VA will not replace em for another 6 years, they say I'm too young. I got a crawler 2 years ago as a project. Track parts impossible to find. Sold it to a kid and his dad who wanted a show project and about broke even. We are restarting the family farm and right now a dozer would be nice but with buying things like tractors, haybines and balers it just isn't in the cards. We have not had to go see the banker for anything yet but all of our stuff is older and it will be anohter year and a half before I really start doing any serious field work. I'm on 3 years of doing a lot of research on dozers and have somewhat come up with a few ideas of my own for a farm dozer that the real operators and owners and maybe a few brand loyal folks will disagree with. Parts! If parts are not available in a timely manner don't buy it! With farming the dozer stuff comes after crops and livestock. So when you get the time to run it you may have a very long wait if it breaks, maybe the parts don't get there until you are in fall harvest whichis faloowed by fall tillage. Then you are prepping stuff for spring field work. By the time you get to where you can fix the dozer up here the ground is frozen so your earth project is on hold till after spring planting. Then you have to stop that for 1st cutting of hay, then again for small grain harvest. So having something in good shape with good parts availabilty is important! A smaller dozer along with an older in good condition 4X4 tractor may be a solution. Get a yard or yard and a half pan (scrapper) to use with the 4X4 for moving the dirt for the ponds and the doser with ripper to break the soil up before using the pan. Here in west Mn a 4x4 in the 150 to 225 HP range in decent condition runs 5k to 10k and are orphans. Too small for the big guys and too big for the small guys. Plus the samll guys all want MFA row crops. Plus the 4X4 on a farm is a tractor that you can also use for field work. They sold a 4586 IH 4X4 near me last year with about 85% tires and 2k on the engine for 6800 last year. Best of luck! Rick

  24. #24JDDozerman2011-09-11 12:26

    Hello Rick (Oldtanker), Thanks for the great info and input, I certainly see your points, and agree 100%, you also bring up some interesting alternatives that I will look into! I was raised on the family farm in southeastern Minnesota, however, when I was in high school my Mom got very sick (and passed a year later), unfortunately we had to sell the farm, in order for her to be closer to the medical facilities, or I would still be there, instead of Missouri. Anyway, I can't tell you how happy it makes me to FINALLY see some people "restarting the family farm", instead of just breaking it up and selling it off "piece meal", that is OUTSTANDING!!! Kudo's to you, and your family, for doing that, I only hope MORE people will follow your lead!!! It just upsets, and saddens, me to no end, seeing all the "family farms" being sold off by the heirs, because the "money" is more important than keeping a "family tradition", or "legacy" going! Thus, allowing the "mega farms" to grow even bigger, which just gives them extra leverage, and motivation, to put even MORE "family farms" out of business! It just makes me sick, but I digress, "my bad", I should NOT get started on that subject! Anyhow, you have some GREAT points, and "parts availability" is definitely one of my main concerns! I purchased my first farm in a state of "neglect", the fields, existing ponds, etc., were left to "nature", and thus a LOT of Locust trees, brush, etc., have grown up, in and around them, so I'm needing to do a LOT of tree clearing, leveling, and filling, to get them back in shape. Also, there are a lot of natural draws that I want to build ponds in for flood mngmt., erosion control, livestock and irrigation use. In other words, I'm not even starting to plant anything at the present time, so I don't have that concern. Instead, my HOPE is to at least have ALL of the clearing, leveling, and filling, done (and as much pond building as possible), in time for NEXT years planting! I'm considering a couple different "avenues" to take, and one of them is getting a "towed scraper", this would sure be a handy item to have! I'm getting down to the wire on making a decision, I'm just praying that I make the right one! I sure appreciate all the GREAT ideas, input, expertise, courtesy, and kindness, that I have received here, thank you ALL so much!!! Best of luck to you as well!, Jeff (JDDozerman)

  25. #25oldtanker2011-09-11 16:00

    Jeff, no big deal. My dad retired from the Army in 71 and bought the farm, this one 200 acres in 72. In 73 he started milking and was forced to retire due to his health in 83. I joined the Army in 74 and retired in 96 and came back to the farm. It became mine in 98 and I've been renting the crop land. Wife and I decided that it was time to take it over and do somthing with it. So I'm raising a few head of beef, some feeder pigs in the summer, the wife is doing 3 acres of garden and selling at a farmers market plus she is raising chickens for butcher and some eggs for sale. You I think are going about this the right way and asking questions here on HEF about heavy equipment. I joined here becasue last year I fell into a good deal on a TLB (really wanted a running dozer) and needed some info. I stayed because I love heavy equipment and enjoy reading some of the post. The TLB is the 2nd most used tractor on the place so far. I also have a Ford 8N (1st used), and 2 Farmalls, one M (last used) and a 1206 (3rd used). Just west of me is the Red River Valley area of west Mn and east ND. Pretty flat land and farmers have been using scrapers here for years that are designed to run behind a farm tractor to enhance drainage on some of thier fields. We are seeing some at construction sites too behind farm tractors. Thats what gave me the idea that I posted along with the nudge when someone else said something about a pull scraper behind a dozer. IMO a ripper would be better if you only have one dozer and if yer doing this so that you can farm one dozer and a farm tractor that is more versitile than a dozer just seemed to make sense! Rick

  26. #26PCSHAY2011-09-11 17:10

    I wasn't going to say anymore as I'm sure you're sick of me too. BUT..... there isn't any reason you can't tow a scraper behind a machine with a ripper. If there isn't a hitch still on the machine you can weld one up to the ripper beam. Just remove the shanks. Problem solved. In the old days guys did all kinds of this stuff to "make-do" with what they had.

  27. #27JDDozerman2011-09-11 20:22

    I'm not sick of you at all PCSHAY, in fact I appreciate ALL of your input, and everyone elses! What you say makes complete sense, in fact don't some of the rippers come with hitches already attached to their "back sides", either welded, bolted, or ? The only things I can think of that a person would have to pay attention to, is how much weight, and/or "stress" the hitch on the ripper can pull, or withstand, as I'm sure that varies with size, maybe condition, and how it's mounted? If nothing else I'm sure size would at least matter, meaning the size of dozer, ripper, and the scraper. The only other thing I guess a person would at least want to keep in mind is what the density of the soil is, and adjusting their scraper depth and load size accordingly, since soil density and soil weight vary accordingly. Of course, as many, such as Oldtanker, have pointed out, that's where the ripper would come in extra handy for loosening the denser clay soils prior to scraping. I've run dozers with rippers behind, but never a "dozer-ripper-scraper" set up, however, I must admit I really find this to be an intriguing combination! Just sitting here, I'm already thinking of the multitude of things this could be used for, and I'm liking it a LOT!!! Makes me wonder why I have not heard of, or seen, this combination before??? Obviously it HAS been done, I just figured I would have known about it before now! Go figure? Well, I may not be able to get ALL of them right off the bat, but I can assure you at some point I will get all 3 items!!!

  28. #28oldtanker2011-09-11 22:34

    Jeff 1. The first scrapers were pull scrapers and lifted/lowered and unloaded with cables from the towing dozer/crawler. They went over to self propelled wheel scrapers becasue of sevearl factors like the high track wear moving dirt any distance, wheels were faster, after filling and dumping they could move from the fill/dump/fill site faster and were cheaper to run. 2. With the smaller farm scrapers a smaller dozer could pull one with ease with the only possible mods I can think of are the afore mentioned hicth on a ripper and maybe hydraulic remotes to contol the scraper. 3. If you can afford to do both the tractor and dozer the tractor will move more dirt faster than the dozed if any travel is involved. I just typed in small farm scrapers and found that you can get them small enough to use behind a 2 wheel trive farm tractor too from 85 HP and up in about 3-5 or much larger yard carry. There looks to be many companies making them. I'm not saying anyone is wrong.......it's your money and only you know how much you have to play with and want to spend. I guess I'm thinking about flexability and overall cost including wear and tear. Me I really wish I could have 2 dozers....er 3....er 4! Rick

  29. #29oldtanker2011-09-16 09:33

    Jeff I had the opportunity to talk with a factory rep from CaseIH yesterday. He informed me when I ask about Fiat Allis that any CaseIH or New Holland dealer should be able to at least get parts for them. Rick

  30. #30JDDozerman2011-09-16 10:15

    Hello Rick, Sorry I'm late replying to your posts, I've been having medical issue's with my disease for the past few days, and have just been feeling pretty poorly! Thanks for ALL the great information, I find it VERY useful, and appreciate it very much! Hope everything is going great for you up there in MN.! I really think I'm going to have to jump on this Fiat Allis 14C, it's just got too many things going for it, such as condition=Excellent! Price=$12,000.00 or less! Location=about 50 miles from me! as well as Size, rather low hours, etc.! So at least at this point I think this is the one I will be getting, only time will tell though, I still have a couple things I want to check out before I actually make the "plunge", but it's looking great! Thanks again Rick, and everyone, hope everyone is doing great! Jeff

  31. #31PCSHAY2011-09-16 17:32

    Jeff; In my younger naive days I bought a dozer based on trust and because I wanted the machine so bad. Turned out the block was cracked internally. In the meantime the guy had disappeared. I'm just telling this on myself so you'll be sure to have it thoroughly checked. I feel stupid to this day. Trust no one but an independent mechanic. Hope you're back-in-the-seat soon.

  32. #32lpnt652011-09-18 03:49

    Have you purchased the FA14c They are a good machine plenty of grunt and easy to operate and economical as well as far as parts go well there are place around where you can get thoise as far as track gear well therre are plenty of alternate supliers around do you have BERCO track gear in U S OF A

  33. #33JDDozerman2011-09-18 10:23

    PCSHAY, I certainly understand what you're saying and will thoroughly check out any machine, prior to purchasing it, since I cannot afford to buy a "lemon". lpnt65, I have not purchased the 14C as yet, however, my friend said it does have 2 "issues", one is it overheats ONLY on very hot days, but he also said it's being run with NO thermostat, so I suspect this could be the culprit! Second, he says it uses a little oil, but there again, the tractor is owned by an Amish person, and supposedly for some reason they say he puts "used" oil in it?!?!? I'm certainly going to have to find out more about this, as it sounds quite strange, and does not make a lot of sense to me. I'm also thinking if it's only using a little oil as he stated, if the overheating problem could be the cause of this, or "worst case senario" if both problems/symptoms are sign's of a larger "issue"?!?!?!? I'm still very interested in it, I just need to find out more precisely what's going on with it! Seeing the video of it running (considering it sounded great, and I saw no smoke), plus the pictures, I cannot imagine that this guy would take such great care of everything else and then "scrimp" on the oil, it just doesn't make any sense! I will keep you updated, and see how it goes, I really think the "lack" of a thermostat could sure cause the overheating problem though! I also read the post Animal has on their 14C, where there was a similar "overheating problem" in which one of the tubes was not plugged properly by/in the thermostat housing, so I am also looking at that with great interest as well! I'm also hoping to talk with "Queenslander", and hopefully get his take on it, as well as any "tips", and just his overall feelings about the tractor (like it's pro's and con's), since Animal told me he's owned/operated one for MANY years! The "saga" continues!!! Good day everyone, JDDozerman

  34. #34Randy882011-09-18 11:45

    Jddozerman, first off welcome to the forum, second, welcome to the saga of hunting up a machine that best fits you, I now own 5 and as of yet haven't decided exactly what best suits me, so if your planning on doing it with only one, good luck. I've skimmed over the post several times and I'd like to thank you for having as much spirit as you do, your an inspiration to many who have some form of disability. I've known many who have disabilities of some sort from legs lost to being paralized in some form or another again my hat is off to you for considering buying and operating a dozer and continuing farming. Next no matter what machine you buy or look at for the price range your in you'll either have to slow the engine down to shift from forward to reverse unless its a jd power shift like is in my 450c, all others if I'm not mistaken are required to slow the engine down to shift at least from forward to reverse. As for any brand you'll find those that like them and those that hate them find the one that YOU like and go for it. I'll agree 100 percent with the one that said parts are the biggest deal for any farmer, time is in the essence when it comes a farmer and if your doing this yourself its even more important or all you'll do is wait for parts and burn time or years to get anything done. I personally would opt to stay away from any AC dozer due to parts and time spent hunting for them, you mentioned buying two machines, first off I like that idea a lot for two reasons, first off if one is broke down you can finish the job your doing while waiting for parts on the broke down unit and then you have the best of both worlds, a dozer and a bucket machine. To set any machine up to be operated by someone with a handicap is not that hard, a neighbor has a leg lost and he made himself a lever that's bolted to the clutch pedal to use the clutch on any of his tractors instead of using his wooden leg. Any foot engine speed pedal can easily be converted to hand controls so all you need to use is your hands. Best of luck on your pursuit of a dozer to fit your needs and desires.

  35. #35DOZER HAND2011-09-18 12:31

    have been owner operater and now purlyely operater for over 50 years. your price range is a challenge but would highly recmend hd 11 ac if you are handywith tools or a d6c . you can buy d6c 76a pretty common in your range. both of these have heating problems in powershift models but if you keep an aircompressor handy you can work around that .i think heating problenm could be cured by modifying torq cooler to and air driven (radiator ) system.

  36. #36DOZER HAND2011-09-18 12:40

    considering your disability ........ have you thought of using a drag type scraper. easy to run and easy on your tractor.

  37. #37DOZER HAND2011-09-18 12:47

    i still love the older stuff. I know the newer machines are sweat to run but they just don't seem to have the feel i like maybe it's just me . but I must admit a d4hlpg is a pretty nice finish tractor.

  38. #38DOZER HAND2011-09-18 12:50

    I'm liking kamatsus . have limited experience with them but what i have run I like

  39. #39DOZER HAND2011-09-18 12:53

    Kamatsu d61lpg good finish machine too.

  40. #40JDDozerman2011-09-19 16:16

    Hello all, thank you Randy88, I really appreciate the "welcome", and support, I just try to get along as best I can, and unfortunately there is ALWAYS someone who is worse off then I am/we are so that helps to keep out of the "pitty party" mode! I am working with a new program called the "AgrAbility project", they can help me to get adaptive equipment for any machine, plus I am pretty handy with tools, and "Jeff-ro engineering" (that's my term for my own "home made" adaptive equipment), I can usually figure out some way to get the job done, and work around my disabilities! I'm also working with another program called the "Missouri Barn Builders", where us "disabled farmers" help each other to figure out ideas to help one another overcome obstacles, such as drawing up plans, or schematics, for adaptive equipment, or even building the adaptive equipment for, each other, I really like it a lot!!! Dozerhand, I appreciate your input as well, and I have been looking at the AC HD 11's, IN FACT, there is ONE for sale here in Missouri, that has rippers on the back, and a tree pusher attachment on the blade, HOWEVER, I'm going to have to find out more about it because it appears to have a LOT of "leaks" around the undercarriage area, like around the sprocket "hubs"(?), track adjusters, etc., and also a little around the engine as well. It is an older machine, but with some paint I'm sure it would look better, but I need to find out how "fit" it is mechanically before I even think about purchasing it! They are asking $15,000.00 for it as it sits, which is in my price range, and I would love to have the rippers and tree pushing attachment, but if it's needing a LOT of work it may not be worth it!?!?! Also, I saw a video on youtube.com, of a Case 1550 dozer working, and must admit I was VERY impressed!!! NOT with the driver, he is a complete "maniac" and beats the heck out of the dozer, BUT with the way the Case takes his "beating it", plus how fast it works, and how powerful it is, I was really shocked!!! He is doing some pretty heavy tree/brush clearing in a hilly wooded area, and it's pretty impressive how well the Case works, especially with this "demolition derby" driver operating it!!! Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRvzIUJ2bFo&feature=related Check him out trying to get up the hill!!! He's lucky this video didn't turn into "what NOT to do with a dozer"!!! Anyhow, this is really turning out to be more difficult than I had originally anticipated, that is for sure!!! Every time I think I have one "pegged", I find something else that may be a better deal, or suit my purpose more appropriately, so the "saga" continues! I do find myself leaning away from a "Cat" though, I just can't seem to find one that is my price range, is the right size, and in good condition, so I'm really thinking I will wind up with either an Allis Chalmers, Fiat Allis, International (Dresser), or Case, just because those are about the only "brands" I can find that have ALL the "factors" I'm looking for! I can't even find a Komatsu at all that would work for me, so that is really seems to be out of the question, same as the Cat's! Should be interesting to see what I finally wind up with! Have a great day everyone! Jeff

  41. #41PCSHAY2011-09-19 16:48

    Jeff, I watched that video and it reminded me of this "cowboy" operator I knew. They called him that because he was always going full bore. He worked for the gov't and did the impossible. He got fired from a gov't job! Not because he didn't do good work, but because he was too hard on the equipment. I remember once he backed a flat bed, going uphill, around a corner and spotted it perfectly between the lines, first time. All this while shifting thru all four gears in the brownie trans., flat out. There was a time I thought that 1550 was the wave of the future and I really liked that power angle feature.

  42. #42ACcrazy2011-09-20 10:29

    JD your video reminded me of this one. http://youtu.be/GDjWMcVBr5Y Poor old girl. I hope you end up with an Allis-Chalmers or Fiat-Allis but I'm a little biased. My uncle used to have a cable blade HD16 that was an absolute animal. We used it to log our property which is very steep. You wouldn't believe the size of the "turns" we'd pull out with that thing. It had a Buda 6 cylinder, non-turboed. She was a very impressive old machine. Sadly my uncle passed away at age 50 (cancer) in '99. It needed the right front idler bearings replaced is all. We had split the track and removed the idler when he got sick. It sat for a while before my cousin sold it for the pricely sum of $1000.00. That's right. One thousand dollars. I coulda killed him. :Banghead

  43. #43PCSHAY2011-09-20 12:08

    A CASE dealer loaned me a video comparing the CAT D6 to a 1550 back in the '90s. I don't remember the details other than the 1550 used less fuel, made power turns, could counter-rotate and was more productive. If somebody has that film could you post it to youtube for us?

  44. #44JDDozerman2011-09-23 22:25

    Thanks PCSHAY, that would be VERY cool to see!!! I have to admit I was VERY impressed with the machine, NOT the driver though, I don't think I would buy ANYTHING "used" from that guy!!! However, he DID show me what the dozer could do, even in the hands of a "demo driver", I have to thank him for that! Anyhow, I'm STILL looking and seeing what's out there, but I HAVE to make a decision sometime soon!!! I wish there was one that would just JUMP OUT at me and be a "hands down", "no brainer", of a buy, but NOT LIKELY! I sure appreciate all the help and info I've received here, it sure has educated me a lot more, and given me lots to take into consideration, and probably saved me from making a dumb mistake! Thank you, one and all!!! Best wishes, JD

  45. #45PCSHAY2011-09-24 02:22

    Jeff, You might try calling, writing or visiting the tractor dealers in your state and close by for videos. Tell them you're in the market to buy and what size you're looking for. They might have older videos in their libraries they'll loan you. Even the newer videos will let you compare features and construction. I once got a video on operating a D11 from a Cat dealer, and would've bought one but I was short about a million dollars!

  46. #46JDDozerman2011-09-25 01:43

    Well thanks again PCSHAY, once again you have given me some great info I was not aware of!!! I'm not even sure WHERE the nearest dealers are to me, but I can do some research and find out. I think that's a great idea, and will see what I can come up with, and let you know what I find. As always, I appreciate your time and knowledge, and suggestions! Best wishes, JD

  47. #47jayb2011-10-01 12:33

    Hey guys i just this forum you all have some good discussion going thats good, me an my brother is looking at buying a Dozer to do land clearing . we were looking at getting a D5h beings that it could be used to clear bush and do swamp work, where we live people want a lot of land reclaming done. I also heard that the D6d is a good tractor for land clearing am open to you guys for you alls imput.

  48. #48dhutch2011-10-02 00:09

    Jeff, I've been watching this thread as I'll be looking for a larger dozer, finances pending, after the first of the year. Have you checked out craigslists? Here's a site that will allow to search statewide, statewidelist.com I'm currently stationed at Ft. Cambpell Ky, currently living in Afghanistan. I have found several dozers around central Tn that might fit the bill for you. I did see a 1150B in western Ky for 13k?? Just wanted to throw that out there for ya. I've found a few D6C's in east Tn, I'd like to get something like that as I'm partial to Cats. I currently have a TD9B I inherited from my dad last year and a 955H loader I bought for nothing last year as well. Both need some work, but still get work done. Good luck and good information on the different dozers.

  49. #49shopguy2011-10-02 06:27

    If you do buy big and old, when you need parts and you WILL need parts you will pray for a CAT.

  50. #501970Cat162011-10-09 18:10

    Gees, just buy an old d6 c or d717a and quit even talking about an idiot dozer that a kook has put used oil!!!! Should be plenty of old faithfulls around you, forget about the other junker wannabees, you will stay broke down and will face high parts with other models, there is only cat and then the rest running behind since the view is always the same!!!!lol

  51. #51JDDozerman2011-10-15 13:13

    Hello dhutch, I hope you're staying safe over there, and thank you kindly for your input! I have been checking out Craigslist, as well as, many other sites, but oddly enough I'm not finding that much, especially in my area, and the "Cats" particularly seem to be very scarce around here, can't figure that one out!?!? Anyway, I have the option of getting a Cat D6-9U that's been converted to a hydraulic blade, a VERY nice IH TD 15 IF I can find someone to ship it from New York, a Fiat Allis 14C, and possibly a Case 1150B, that is a "one owner" machine with 2800 original hours. Now I'm just waiting to get the "full info" on the D6 and Case 1150B, before I sit down and make my decision. Take care over there, and hope you get back soon! Best wishes and regards, JD

  52. #52jalapeno jack2011-11-04 00:30

    I bought a '73 model Cat D6C in 2005 for $20K, from an outfit in Dallas, TX. It had new paint & decals, and ran good. We have used it on our ranch for 6 years, now, to do the things you want to do, i.e. clear land, build ponds, etc. It has served us well. But, it is an old machine and requires some repairs whenever we work it hard. I figure that comes with the territory when you buy an old machine. A friend once said, "Everyone I ever met who owns a bulldozer is a pretty good mechanic; because they always have something to work on."

  53. #53Rogerstar12011-11-05 22:52

    Could someone explain to me briefly the advantages and disadvantages of high track as opposed to conventional low track, 2 sprocket machines? Our landfill uses high track with a third sprocket on both sides mounted high up near the operator r and I've always been curious the reason for this. Seems like they are a more modern design/performance invention. Comments appreciated. THanks from Roger

  54. #54Lindsey972011-11-06 01:04

    used oil? really? go to caterpillar, buy an oil sample analysis kit for $15 and be done with it. i've been doing this for years and i'm only 33 years old. saved my butt a few times on dump trucks and dozers. as far as what brands to buy, if it isnt a deere or cat, then dont buy it. in my business downtime can cost you up to three times: 1) pay your payment 2) lost income 3) pay for repairs. so buy a caterpillar and have fun with it.

  55. #55Randy882011-11-06 04:02

    Rogerstar1, to help answer your question somewhat, its basically just cats design verses others, their selling points are several over the older designs, first for repair they are supposed to be faster if a final drive goes bad or something in the transmission is in need of repair, just a few bolts and the transmission slides out the back and you can easily replace it and have the machine back and running in no time, thats the selling point over other designs, but cat is the only one to use this, even almost a decade after the patents are up on the design nobody else has copied it, they also have downfalls some would say but its just someone's opinion verses another, the first being older designs have larger sprockets and idlers and undercarriage components last longer, some would also argue that the top drive design doesn't transmit power to the track as efficiently as the in line pull design does, is it true, thats about like arguing for verses chevy for some. If your a die hard cat man, anything they design and sell is and always will be gods gift to mankind and the greatest thing put on earth, if your not a die hard cat man, well then its just one companies selling point over another and its got it down sides like anything else ever made, it depends on which side of the fence your sitting on and who your talking to. You can do some researching old posts on the subject and read over them to form your own opinion. If your asking me, the industry never followed suit and built anything like it to compete and everyone else kept the old design which is tried and true and has been since the first tracked tractor rolled off any assembly line, way before cat was ever cat, they all push dirt and do the same job, some are just painted yellow and others not, take it for what its worth, nobody also ever built a slow speed engine like cat did either and over time they went away from them as well, also the smaller dozers are the old design like everyone else's are, but if your paying 250k for a newer cat I'm sure you'll claim they are better than anything on the market, but other companies have survived as well so take it for what its worth. Welcome to the forum and pull up a chair and read the commentary this comment will bring, mostly to tell me how wrong I am.

  56. #56Rogerstar12011-11-06 08:20

    Thank you for your informative reply Lindsey97.

  57. #57d5cat2011-11-06 23:54

    I have an old 73 D5B Caterpillar and love it. Does everything I need which is cleaning up neglected CRP and building a pond.

  58. #58aldaran2011-11-11 18:13

    I just got a D5H LGP Series II and the last gear light on the right side turns on then the fault light lights up. New to this type of equipment so what should I check?

  59. #59PurdueJim2012-05-28 14:59

    Do you still have the Oliver 1850 for sale? I'm interested.

  60. #60MOJOWY2012-05-31 23:26

    Hello can some one tell me if a deere 650j will do ok for a driveway build? It about 1800 ft long in not to heavy soil i know it wont be fast but the next step up i can rent close by is a 1650 case cost to much and frt is high. Half the driveway is soild rock where my thoght is to push or load fill to cover then put j base on top of it all. Thanks for the help. Jerry

  61. #61Frank Dozer2012-06-01 06:58

    Deciding which dozer to purchase can be tough for a home owner with some acreage. I have 26 acres in Maine. Over the past 7 years I've had 4 dozers. First was a John Deere 350C bucket loader, nice dozer but had trany problems so I sold it and got my cash back. Second was a Komatsu D21A-5 with a 6 way blade. Also a nice dozer, but kind of too small, sold it got my cash back. Third was a Magnatrac MH4800 with a bucket loader and a 6 way blade. I got a great deal on it, 3 years old and it was like brand new. But it was WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY to small, so I sold it and got my cash back. Earlier this month I purchased a 1984 John Deere 455D with a 4 in 1 bucket. I love it. I am building roads and I can now move dirt from one area to another. I highly recommend it!!!!!!!!! They are out there in the $10,000 to $17,000 price range. Buy one use it then sell it and get your cash back. Thanks, Frank

  62. #62sfchovis2012-06-04 12:28

    Great reading... Hovis

  63. #63nickkal1002012-08-17 16:09

    d6 all the way!.....................the d6c is what i would go with..............model years commonly ran throughout the 70s. im in the diamond drilling industry up in northern canada.........we use these things to pull our drill shacks around in the bush(of course our configuration includes wide pads and a winch)but this machine has no trouble at all pulling around our biggest drills and or knocking over large sized trees. in my opinion this is a beautiful machine and i think u would like it too. you should have no trouble finding one within ur price range(evan with a ripper)! hope i helped

  64. #64Mishkin2012-08-23 09:46

    hey all I just bought a dozer. '85 JD 450D. I was told the U/C sprockets are worn b/c they are sharp. I called the original owner I bought it from and he said it's because he didn't use it in rock and they have 80% life left. I took some pics can someone help me out? I can't post new posts for some reason. Pics: http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5123/dozertrack4.jpg http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7846/dozertrack3.jpg http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4184/dozertrack2.jpg http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9720/dozertrack1.jpg

  65. #65balls2go2012-08-23 11:19

    Looks to me like it's about 80% worn out. Time to turn the pins/bushings and put on new sprockets.

  66. #66norite2012-08-23 11:36

    Hi Mishkin, welcome. I think that u/c is pretty far gone, almost completely wore out. I would plan on repairing/replacing it in the very near future. If you were told it had 80% life left you were misled. I think balls2go's estimate of 20% is much closer and that may even be optomistic. Best get the Deere dealer or a local track shop to check it out and tell you what your options are.

  67. #67Mishkin2012-08-23 15:46

    yea thats exactly what I figured.. how much would replacing this stuff cost?? I had it shipped in yesterday and it wasn't near what he told me it was. Thanks guys.

  68. #68norite2012-08-24 13:05

    I don't know the exact cost, you will need to have the u/c inspected by an experienced heavy equipment mechanic and then get a quote from a JD dealer or a local track shop if there is one nearby. I do know the u/c is usually the most expensive system on a dozer to replace, and probably the biggest operating cost after fuel. Check around and see if you can find some good used u/c parts, the JD450 track loader has the same running gear except for a longer track frame and I believe an extra bottom roller. Loaders come with triple grouser pads which are different as are the chains (will need to be shortened), but rollers, idlers and sprockets should all be interchangeable and a used 450 loader can usually be bought relatively cheap compared to the dozer as they seem to be no longer very popular. Keep us informed as to the results.

  69. #69Mishkin2012-08-25 07:31

    thanks for the reply. I called the deere dealer and they want 900 to turn the pins and 237.00 a side for the sprocket and labor. They said the can only turn the pins if the rails are 75% worn or less. I know its hard to tell but do you guys think this is all it needs? I don't want to get it in there and they tell me its going to be 5k.

  70. #70Mishkin2012-08-25 14:09

    ok so a neighbor came over and just bought it off me.. so I guess that settles that..

  71. #71Digger321b2012-10-31 03:45

    you won't get anything good under about $60,000 - $70,000. you really need to buy a really good second hand dozer, because they can cost a lot to repair and cost you time! good luck with it all