Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New guy needs some help / info

MATTG ยท 2011-07-14 16:23

Hi everyone, First off like most people have mentioned, I have got a ton of good information of this website. You guys are really knowledgeable. My question is I am looking at buying a trailer to pull my Case 580C CK backhoe. It weighs around the 10k mark, I am looking at a goosneck trailer either a 14k or a 16k, both 20+5ft. One concern I have is the dual axles, don't come with dual wheels until the 20k trailer. Do you feel it's needed, and do you think it will be long enough for the backhoe? Never had it on a trailer before, so feel free to point out something I might be missing. Thanks in advance, Matt.

Replies8
  1. #1monkey2011-07-14 17:20

    I'm no expert by any means, BUT I would definitely go with a tandem dually set up. Much more margin of saftey, it should stop in much shorter distances (you have twice as much rubber on the road). You will be putting a lot less load/stress on each tire. You have a blowout on one of the singles and you will probably lose the other one also. The 20k trailer is also going to built better and much heavier duty. Spend a little extra the first time, save ya from having to make the right purchase the second time Just my opinion

  2. #22stickbill2011-07-14 19:03

    Monkey is right the dual wheels are better.I think that 580C might be over 10,000.The 14K has very small axles really about 6K each.I bent a spindle on one by turning sharp with way less than 10K on.You will need to check the PA.laws.You might need CDL and all that DOT junk.

  3. #3MATTG2011-07-14 20:07

    As far as the weight goes the 10k was what the Case dealer told me from the books they had, I have never had it across the scales. Planning on doing it next week. I checked into the laws I don't need a CDL as long as I stay under the 26k CGWR and since the trailer weight would be rated above 10k, I'll have to have both the truck and trailer inspected and have the certified weight put on the owners card which means my yearly registration will be based on the CGWR and not just the truck alone. Thanks for the information, I also didn't like the idea of single wheeled axles.

  4. #4CM19952011-07-14 20:15

    I think your 580c will be closer to 14-15K pounds and I second the comments on you will need a heavier trailer. I have a 20+5 14K gooseneck trailer that I haul skids (T250-S250) and mini's (334) on and it's really all the trailer wants. Now it tows well and stops well but those machines are less than 10K lbs, give or take. The 20K lb dual tandem trailer would be the best choice. An important question is what will you be pulling it with? 2stickbill brought up the dreaded CDL requirements and he's right, with that kind of weight you will probably be in the CDL range to tow it.

  5. #5MATTG2011-07-14 22:41

    I will be pulling it with a F450 I should be ok there. I just want to make sure I'm under the 26k limit, I really don't want a CDL. This isn't for a business or anything just personal use, and although cheaper it's getting old driving it around from place to place. That's why I'm looking into the trailer. With the truck weight and average trailer weight, that leaves me with about 11k for the backhoe, I know it's going to be close. But on the other hand if it is on the heavier side I'll just continue driving it around. I'll find out for sure when I take the backhoe across the scales. I'm just pricing out trailers and getting some information to see what I'd be getting into.

  6. #62stickbill2011-07-14 22:45

    That is what I was thinking.20,000 GVWR Trailer and no less than 8,000 on Truck 3/4 ton.a 1 ton would be 10 or 12,000GVWR.Both would be over the 26,000 CGVWR.

  7. #7HONYOK2011-07-15 00:52

    Hello all, another newbie here, figured I would share my thoughts. I just bought a 580B CK and my buddy towed it home (only about 15 miles but through three pretty good canyons) with a 24' gooseneck deckover rated at 14,000lbs and a 2005 ram 2500 4x4. The truck could use some air bags but pulled it ok. I think the trailer was about maxed out with the weight of hoe and the extra buckets. If you are only moving it locally you should be ok but if going any distance you would be better off with the bigger trailer. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information available on the site.

  8. #8CM19952011-07-15 07:12

    Welcome to the Forums HONYOK, glad to have you.:drinkup