Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New here, hello

fastfred ยท 2014-06-04 12:50

Hello all. Just registered today. I have a ton of projects to do around my house, and business property , so I bought a 1977 ** 30 backhoe. I am a self employed auto mechanic, and mostly play with german cars, but am enjoying running this machine, and learning about maintaining it . Enjoy using, repairing, and learning about anything mechanical

Replies4
  1. #1fixou8122014-06-04 22:45

    Welcome aboard Fred nice introduction with Pic ! We like pics here and there's no extra charge. It only took me a month to figure out how to post one! But in my defense I was just figuring out how to use this phone at the same time. Met an operator last week had the inside of his machine painted real nice and pimped out a bit too! I asked him why he didn't paint the outside of the machine? He said "How often do I ride around on the outside of the machine? Hardly Ever!" See you on the Fun Way!

  2. #2kshansen2014-06-05 12:47

    I know that might only be a piece of plastic pipe but running slings over a cutting endge like in the picture is asking for one to get cut and then pipe goes boom! Maybe at a bad time if you are standing near it.

  3. #3fastfred2014-06-05 14:49

    Thanks. Getting hurt is not very productive. I had to twist the bucket up like that to get a little extra height out of it to go over a dirt pile . I am a novice at this stuff, but would never stand under a pipe, or load ,no matter how well it was rigged. I make it a habit to be aware of the dangers around me , and not put myself , or anyone else in it's way, I pull a lot of motors, and drop frame cradles and stuff like that at my day job, so I gotta keep on my toes all the time. I spent a bunch of time on this forum last night, looks like a pretty good bunch of guys here, and tons of good info. I'm guessing you will probably see me around for a while.

  4. #4fishfighter2014-06-05 16:07

    Welcome Fred. Invest into some good chains, you're going to need them in time. Oh, these old gals need a lot of TLC to get them back from the dead. Start checking around you to who makes Hydraulic hoses. Just a matter of time you will bust one. Of course tools. Everything is big. LOL