I have a 580b that I just bought and had a bad leak coming out of the radiator. the previous owner put some stop leak in it and the leak stopped but when I was driving it up the road to my driveway antifreeze started to come out of the overflow spout and the motor started to overheat. I suspect that the rad is severely plugged. At an idle the motor eventually gets hot enough and the rad starts to overflow. Oil pressure is around 75 when I start it but slowly drops to 40 when it gets to temperature at working rpm. The motor was just rebuilt so I don't suspect anything wrong internally I have decided to remove the rad and see what I can find. Does anyone know if the Radiator guard supports anything? Currently I have the bucket raised with safety bars on the rams to prevent them from coming down so I can loosen the bolts. I know essentially the engine block is part of the frame but when I remove the top bolts of the Rad support where the arms that attach to the front end loader is something going to fall or get damaged?
Here is a link to a website that does a good job of showing what you need to do. http://antiquetractorsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2152
Thank you. I decided since I don't have an overhead hoist like the link im going to drop the bucket to take the extra strain of the block and torque tube. not sure if its necessary but I don't think it will hurt. And I think I have a head gasket blown. Whats a good way to confirm?
The oil is clean.
Bubbles in the radiator with the engine running is usually the most common thing. Quite often there will be a lot of coolant going out the radiator overflow pipe when working the engine hard. Remove the exhaust manifold and look for a real clean exhaust port, caused by coolant going out. These are the most common symptoms if the oil is clean. But, to do a good check for coolant in the oil is to loosen the drain plug after the engine has not run for several hours and then look for coolant that has settled in the bottom of the oil pan.
Thankyou very much
you do not need to take the wrapper off to remove the radiator if needed, there are 2- 3/8 threaded bolts sticking down with nuts and washers on them, there are holes down under the botton to get to them , clean the holes so you can get a 3/8 extension and a good 9/16 swivel socket and take the nuts off, remove the hoses, take the bolts out of the fan and lay it in the radiator and lift it all out together. There isw nothing to be gainede by doing it any other way. The biggest challenge is getting the nuts and washers started upon reassembly. It's not fun but I've done many dozens.