Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New here—looking for my first backhoe. Advice welcome!

Haas · 2025-02-19 18:36

I’ve been following this forum for a while, and the knowledge shared here is incredible. I searched for existing posts on my questions but didn’t find exactly what I was looking for—so any tips on efficiently searching this forum would also be appreciated! I’m in the market for my first personal piece of equipment—a backhoe in the $15k-$25k range. I’ve operated small tractors and skid steers occasionally, but this will be my first time owning and maintaining a backhoe. I won’t be working on it myself right away until I learn the ropes, so I’m looking for a solid, reliable machine. Of course, I want all the great features, but I’m prioritizing them in this order: 1. Extendable hoe 2. 4x4 3. 4-in-1 bucket 4. Thumb I’ve noticed some brands demand a premium, so I’ve been focusing on New Holland, Deere 310, and possibly Case 580—though in my price range, Case machines tend to have much higher hours. Machines I’m considering: • New Holland – Older model but appears to have been stored indoors, has everything except a thumb, and looks to be in excellent condition. • Deere 310 – Newer, still pre-DEF, and priced lower. However, it lacks an extendable hoe and looks like it has been stored outside most of its life, which isn’t ideal. I’ve also been watching some auctions, but transport costs can add up quickly, so I’m factoring that into my decision. JCB 214? These seem to be priced lower, but I’ve heard mixed feedback. Some parts guys have warned me that parts availability is a nightmare and used parts are hard to find. Is this concern overblown, or should I steer clear? Looking for advice on: • Best brand/model for my budget and needs • Trade-offs between age, storage history, and features • Whether JCB’s reputation for parts issues is a dealbreaker • General tips for buying my first backhoe Would really appreciate any insight from those with experience—thanks in advance!

Replies26
  1. #1Simon C2025-02-19 19:00

    Go have a look at a JCB and tell me if you can see the starter. I have changed one. If you are 30 years of age, have long arms and can fit in tight spaces, then it is maybe a unit for you. They are horrible to work on in my opinion. The unit I worked on had 2 hours, was parked in cold(minus40) and someone blew up the starter with a big Battery booster. I fixed it in a warm shop, and not user friendly at all. How do you know when a used starter will blow. Get your crystal ball out and you will know as well as me. $25K is not much for a machine to be reliable. Just need to dead end a cylinder a couple times by accident and bang 1 hose to change out. Some will test every ounce of your brains. Just saying. Need to do oil samples and have comprehensive inspection done unless you are a gambler. Simon C

  2. #2Haas2025-02-19 21:10

    Sounds like a pain in the butt even with a shop, let alone doing it in the dirt! JCB is 99.9% out already but that cements it. In your experience, which machine is the easiest to work on?

  3. #3willie592025-02-19 22:01

    Advice I always offer, what dealers do you have in your area, you will need dealer support for parts. After that, Deere, Case, Cat, even NH are good machines, if you have good support for those brands in your area. And I agree with Simon C, not a big JCB fan. Yes, it's a British machine, and yes, they do have a US distribution center, Charleston SC or Savannah GA, can't recall for sure, but more than one I've ordered a part, and guess what, they don't have it at the DC, have to wait for it to be shipped from England, that's a deal breaker with me.

  4. #4Simon C2025-02-19 22:54

    Think what "willie59" said is accurate. You will need to do quality inspection and dealership service. That is where it is at. Simon C

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-02-20 07:57

    You more than likely will not get all four on your list, so as your buying used and not new with dealer options, you will have to be willing to compromise and be ready to act fast. It would help, if we knew more about what you are doing with said hoe. For example #1 on your list is an extendable-hoe. Why is that #1, are you going to be daily, digging trenches 1000’ feet a day? The 4 wheel drive I get and agree to but that excludes about 3/4‘s of the backhoes, in that range. To me, i would love a 4/1 bucket and would pick one up used for a couple of grand all day long but more than likely, that is never happening. What are you doing that you think a 4/1 is so important? I have gotten by, building my last house without one. Same thing with a thumb. I have a thumb and when I need it, it’s priceless but I could honestly say, I could do most of the same work, now that I’m accomplished at operating the machine without it. When I did the trench for utilities, at almost 1000k feet, I had taken the thumb off, for the 12” bucket and I had no problem, picking up rocks and logs and moving them out of the way, without a thumb. Just saying, we really need more information, to see where your needs really are. Good luck.

  6. #6Vetech632025-02-20 08:07

    OMG.........just don't.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-02-20 09:45

    Especially with some machines sent to auction around here. lol

  8. #8Haas2025-02-20 10:17

    I wanted to add, this mostly for personal I have land that needs a lot of work. Over the years I bought several plots of land and they can all benefit from improvements, hence the though I should buy equipment rather than rent so I can do the work as I’m able to make the time here and there. I’m planning to get all but one improved enough to make the sales desirable. I’ve done this before but always paid others. For these jobs there’s just not enough meat on the bones. But I’ll still do ok if I just buy a tractor, since I have several to work on and can squeeze a bit from each. On my main property the road coming in needs attention, to the point that professional operators declined the job unless the road got improved. That said, I drive a mini van in just fine but there are a few spots I definitely want to improve. With all the dirt to push, I’d like the push blade on the 4/1 and grabbing trees & brush seems like a huge time saver. Same goes for the thumb, a tobb Ne saver and it seems that it will be easier to place rocks with a thumb also (seems hard enough using a backhoe to place rocks, but I need a Swiss Army knife — I’ll manage) Since I’m a newbie I figure getting stuck one time and having to do a remote rescue will cost more than getting a 4x4 from the jump. Even if I don’t get stuck, just the time c and frustration saved is worth it. The ext hoe is for reaching out over and down a bluff as far as possible to clear trees and trail. It’s lake property but the future trail to waters edge isn’t a cake walk so any help could save me months of hand tool work. (I expect to have 2 years of working weekends to get the 300’ of winding trail done right. You can walk to the water as is, but it’s not safe) I’m not absol Deere and NH are the closest at about 65 miles. There’s a heavy equipment mechanic a few miles away, not sure how good he is, just met him once and know he’s around. As far as small stuff I can do myself would you say Deere or NH is easier to work on?

  9. #9Swetz2025-02-20 10:47

    I thought I wanted a 4 in 1 bucket when I was looking too. The thing is that they are not that common in the real world. A lot of municipalities spec them, otherwise they often are not purchased. That said, it could make your search more complex. I didn't get the 4 in one, and many on here have told me it wasn't all that anyhow. A grapple on the front bucket, after purchase, is doable as well, and I think very useful. As for the thumb...I wanted one as well. None of the machines in my price range were equipped with a thumb. So, I purchased a machine without and added it. I wouldn't have a machine without a thumb now that I have experienced one...awesome comes to mind. The one I added did not require hydraulics. It is called a hoe clamp. Not cheap, but a stout setup. I guess summing up my 2 cents, the 4x4 and extend a hoe are items not easily added, and are both very necessary. The thumb could be added, as well as a grapple, at a later point (once you resave ). As far a brand, I am not really brand loyal. I looked at several brands from major manufacturers prior to purchasing my NH. In my area the Deeres were waaaay over priced as they are in demand, so that could work in to the calculation too.

  10. #10Haas2025-02-20 12:20

    “Resave” I like that!

  11. #11Kevin Foust2025-02-20 12:50

    I bought a JCB 214S. 4x4 extendahoe. The price was so low I was willing to do it. One main drawback with them besides parts is getting hoses made. The use British style and not all shops have them. Even the shop here I use normally has to order them if I get a couple hoses made. Having a good/close dealer for normal parts should be a high priority on a brand you choose. To me, 4x4 is the biggest plus I like. If you have hills, working on angles or mud conditions, there is no comparison. Extendahoe is handy. A 4 in 1 would be the least needed for most stuff. More stuff to break and it's not as strong from what I've seen. I can see the benefits of a thumb but I've gotten by without. One thing I will mention is that with buying an older unit, you will be in the range of having cylinder seals go bad and start leaking. If you plan on keeping the backhoe and do your own work, the first time one goes bad, buy the complete kit for all of them if you can if it's cheaper. You'll need them as age kills them and from my experience, they go together. Also avoid units that have not been greased regularly or have the pins and bushings wore out. When you go to inspect, start the engine and let it run. Remove the oil fill and look for any smoke coming out. If you see any blowby, keep looking as you probably looking at an engine replacement/rebuild in the future.

  12. #12MarcusZ19672025-02-20 13:41

    Welcome to HEF fellow Missourian!!!

  13. #13Haas2025-02-20 15:43

    Solid advice, thank you. Would you say a low hour older machine is still in danger of seals? Shoot, while I’m asking, what’s the general rule of thumb that makes a lower machine vs high hours? Is 3000 low? Is 7000 high?

  14. #14HarleyHappy2025-02-20 16:08

    I have 7400 hours on my Case 580 SE mid 80s backhoe and have spent many dollars and many hours making it very dependable. You should be able to get Mid 90’s right on the edge of Emissions with 4x4 and a thumb for 20 to 25k. Thinking 3 to 5k hours. Thinking Cat 416 or 420, Case 580k, NH LB75, Ford triple nickel. The list is big but find a nice clean machine. If I find a cab full of trash, I run like hell.

  15. #15Kevin Foust2025-02-20 16:37

    From my experience, it's more of age. The teflon breaks down and gets hard and goes to pieces. Anything over 25 years and you can expect it if they haven't gone out all ready. Hours plays into it but a lot of the determining factor is how it was maintained and operated. Oil changes and greasing are worth their weight in gold. A hack operator overides it all though. LOL Older stuff that has Def on it is WAY less desirable than those without. Don't get blinded by a new paint job, look at the bones.

  16. #16DM&RDBulldog2025-02-20 16:48

    From what you've mentioned it sounds like you're into land development more than tractor/loader work? Are your properties far apart and the need for the backhoe to travel between them regularly? Are you carrying materials long distances in the loader bucket? I only ask because I do land clearing and housing lot development for a living and a backhoe is more cumbersome than anything in that environment. An excavator with blade and thumb can do so much more and a lot faster. For 25k you could get into a nice condition 6 ton excavator that has rubber tracks so can travel on road, will outwork any 2 series backhoe and will rival most 3 series backhoes.

  17. #17Swetz2025-02-20 17:30

    My machine required every cylinder to be rebuilt with less than 1000 hours. Not sure why, but would surely say it is a time thing being a 1999 machine. Incorrect oil would also do it, but at 1000 hours oil should be original. Rebuilding cylinders is not that bad money wise, especially with good aftermarket kits. Many things on the machine cost waaaay more.

  18. #18tylermckee2025-02-20 23:04

    I would look for a 580 or deere, maybe a cat. 4 in 1 will be hard to find, thumb as well. 4x4 and extenda hoe are fairly common. If it were me I would just fab/buy a pin on manual thumb if it's just for your own personal use. Like someone else mentioned, unless you need the loader bucket or tires to travel far a mini ex may be better suited and more user friendly.

  19. #19JBrady2025-02-21 09:49

    Case 580 K or L would be ones to look for. Solid engines and transmissions. As others have said, all cylinders eventually need rebuilding and hoses replaced. I was in your shoes maybe 6 years ago. Ended up buying a Case 590 Super L on the East Coast. I talked to the owner and the guy that usually operated it and got it shipped here. It was more or less just like it was described and has been a very good machine. I know I got kind of lucky. I was willing to have an open cab machine here in OK but an open cab machine on the East Coast was hated by all so the machine had pretty low house (4200). Mine is 4x4 and extendahoe, and I use both often. You can pretty quickly learn to pick things up without a thumb, though that would be nice. As far as grading roads with a 4in1, nah...get a tractor and a box blade and angle blade.

  20. #20KSSS2025-02-21 10:13

    I would try and find a CASE Super L that has some life left. Really solid machines. Not much electronics to worry about. I agree with thoughts on the 4-1. What I hate about them is the reduced capacity to move dirt. I would pass on the 4 N 1.

  21. #21Haas2025-02-24 08:39

    I’ve found a few 580k. (Hours pushing 6000) I heard there was one 580 model that was an odd ball, in between or something, had some parts that only worked for that letter designation. Does anyone know out which model it was? It seems like I read it was K or N

  22. #22HarleyHappy2025-02-24 09:14

    There were 3 different phases for the K model and there were transmission issues I believe on one of the phases but I am not sure what was what. Other than that, I believe all the Case machines were solid.

  23. #23Haas2025-02-24 09:28

    Can you explain that a little more? Being inexperienced I don’t understand why it has a reduced capacity to move dirt. Does the clam shell joint make the bucket weak?

  24. #24KSSS2025-02-24 10:04

    The cy capacity on 4-1 is less than a typical dirt bucket .

  25. #25JL Sargent2025-02-24 14:49

    Love my 4n1 bucket. Makes storm cleanup and road clearing a dream. Picking up and carrying logs and stumps are much easier than without it. I have both kinds of loaders. When you check out a backhoe, get it up to operating temperature. Might take 30 minutes of run time to do that. Hydraulic or transmission fluid might only misbehave when hot.

  26. #26HarleyHappy2025-02-24 21:12

    I personally believe that is the most important advice but often one of the hardest rules to enact. The best case scenario would be the backhoe or loader or most anything equipment related, sitting in a gravel pit and the seller lets the perspective buyer run it up to HYDRAULIC operating temp and then gets to push, pull, lift, dump, drive, back up. Everything needed to see if the DRIVETRAIN and HYDRAULIC pump has what it takes. Of the 45 or 55 machines and I think it might be more than that, that I have bought, I was able to do that less than 4 times. The last one, I told the seller what I wanted to do and he was accommodating on the phone and I showed up and it took 20 minutes before it got pretty warm as it was cold out. Great machine.