Just wanted to share something I discovered while troubleshooting the four wheel drive on my New Holland 575E. My 4WD never worked since I got it and I was hoping it would be something simple. I finally had the mat out to replace the shifter boot and figured the time was now. I discovered a wire broken off of the four wheel drive solenoid coil. After I got it out I saw the coil was burnt up on one side. Checking the parts manual NH said the coil was no longer sold separately and they wanted $500+ for a new solenoid. Looking on the old coil I found it was a Delta 38400015. That is the number for the coil with the proprietary lead that plugs into the NH wiring. The actual coil would be available with that number through one of Delta’s dealers but they would have to order it from Delta then ship it to me. Further investigation revealed the Delta PDL12 was the same coil with two wires on it. I found several of those in stock at various dealers so I ordered one of those. Got it shipped to my door for less than $20. I cut the plug and leads off the old coil and spliced them on the new one. My four wheel drive now works for very little money and not a lot of time. There is an access panel under the front mat that is held down with two 8mm bolts with 13mm heads. The coil is held on the solenoid with a nut requiring a 19mm socket. My unit is caked with dirt so I had to chip away at that to get the area clean enough to get the part off and on. A burned up coil will swell and you may have to spray with penetrating fluid and pry it side to side to get it to come off. After that installation is easy and as long as the solenoid is still good you should be back in business. I will probably never need or use the 4WD but it is one less excuse I will have to make if I ever sell the tractor. One of my front tires is bald so I will need to replace that or the slick tire will just spin. I really want to clean all the crud off my transmission but I’m afraid of getting water somewhere it shouldn’t be. I know it would run much cooler if it was clean though.
Thank you so much you save my life mechanics here been charging me more than 1k for that job!
Glad it helped. Turns out I use the 4WD more than I expected now that it's working. I have been the beneficiary of many ideas shared on the internet. The idea of sharing successes as well as following up on problems is for the benefit of everyone. Nothing worse than reading through a thread about a problem you have only to find the OP never reported the fix. I try to post when I find solutions on my own as well as when I find the answer to something I asked for help on. Doesn't hurt to post your goofups and mistakes too.
Amen
Thanks a million. This is similar to a 2004 Jeep hydraulic solenoid that went out on me. Jeep told me no longer available, but they had a kit for $1100.00. I found a solenoid from a Lincoln continental that fit for $75.00 and posted the fix on the jeep forum. you just can't be-leave the dealers anymore. Thanks again for your post
Thanks NH575E. Some great info to put in the Rolodex...And if I forget a search will bring it back
Will definitly keep this post in mind NH575. Thanks for sharing. My tractor is pretty much the same as yours..my 4wd works but the switch on the dash needs to be in the middle for it to work. Up or down no four wheel drive..is yours the same way?
Yeah middle is on, down is off, and I think up turns it on when braking.
Ah that switch makes sence now.
Just curious if anyone had a part # of the shaft that the solenoid slides over? Unfortunately that got damaged and will have to be replaced. As I recall the dealer was real proud of that part, I believe it was $400 or so. I wish I saw this post before I bought the solenoid from them............. Thanks!
This post was referring to the solenoid coil. The post the coil slides over is part of the solenoid. Messick's wants $593.78 for the whole solenoid. https://www.messicks.com/part/9968351/VALVE-SOLENOID When I went looking for a coil it was no longer sold separate from the solenoid by New Holland. If you bought a coil from the dealer it must have been new old stock. You might can match it up or call Delta Power to see if they can help. https://www.delta-power.com/
I copied the solenoid image from the New Holland parts book and was able to determine that Delta Power does indeed make the solenoid for NH. The post that you have damaged is actually a valve. I couldn't see a part number on it.