Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New holland 555E problem. Need help

Mike0011 ยท 2018-05-31 00:59

I was operating my back hoe when out off no where it cut right off, like I turned the key off. When trying to diagnosis the issue I checked the fuel shutoff solenoid fuse an it was blown. I replaced the fuse an they keep blowing, 3 to 4 times so far. I've cleaned the solenoid connection on the top of it. An Checked the grounds (the ones I could find.). Couldn't find any exposed wiring. Can a bad solenoid blow a fuse? The engine turns over but will not crank or sputter,does nothing but turn over. Trying not to buy something I don't need cause I'm also scared it could be the fuel lift pump above the fuel filter. It's a 1999 new holland 555e . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-05-31 05:43

    I've seen those solenoids do some strange things.. you would THINK that's its either good or bad, right?? WRONG.. I've seen them "break down" internally, shut down an engine & test fine..?? The solenoid is cheap enough to replace.. & just screws in..

  2. #2Delmer2018-05-31 14:55

    Not that hard to test, use an automotive fuse the same size as the one you're blowing, two pieces of scrap wire with female spade terminals on them, and run the solenoid directly off the battery. Probably safer way: disconnect the wire from the solenoid and replace the fuse, does it blow? hook the wire back to the solenoid, does it blow now? A solenoid is just a coil of wire, of course it can short out over time, with a little heat and vibration added in.

  3. #3Mike00112018-06-01 00:30

    Thanks for the advice. I tried the second option. An sure enough the fuse didn't blow when disconnected , an did when connected back.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2018-06-01 06:28

    Way to go on the diagnosis procedure!!! That means you have a chaffed hot wire going to the solenoid.

  5. #5Towrotor2020-06-15 12:29

    While I was troubleshooting my 555e fuel shutoff solenoid, I grounded out my hot wire and I can't locate the fuse for it. I found the fuse box inside the right fender well but I can't find the popped fuse.

  6. #6NH575E2020-06-15 13:12

    Should be F1B.

  7. #7Towrotor2020-06-15 14:38

    That's the one! Thank you very much!