Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland 555E Backhoe Boom Lock Slack

Scott1958 ยท 2026-05-13 13:40

I am wondering how much clearance that the Boom Lock should have between the hooks and the pin they lock on. I have started a new project that requires moving loader buckets full of clay across my land a pretty good distance to a washed out drive to build it back up. There is about a half inch travel between the boom pin and the hooks that lock on it when the boom is at full up position and the lock is in place. I am transporting these buckets of clay across raw land that has rough spots and no matter how slowly I crawl it sounds like the boom is going to break the hooks or destroy something else it bangs so hard. I have thought about welding some metal stock on the hooks contact points to take up some of the slack but thought that some of you guys with much more experience than me might be able to steer me in the right direction, should I leave it alone or should I try to repair the wear in some way? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1JBrady2026-05-13 15:07

    I'm not familiar with your NH, but on my Case, after I lock the boom I put a little pressure on the latch with the hydraulics to keep it from bouncing around when I am driving. There is at least 1/2" of play on mine.

  2. #2Scott19582026-05-13 15:14

    Thanks for the response, I was just fixing to get back at it when I got your response. I will give that a try in just a few minutes. Thanks again JB.

  3. #3eKretz2026-05-13 17:08

    Yeah, same here. I always let the boom down to take up the slack. A little pressure only if needed.

  4. #4Scott19582026-05-13 18:00

    Yep, it works! Thanks for the advice. It took about 85% of the bounce out, I suspect the tiny bit I feel every once in a while is probably pin wear on the boom sections. Was much more comfortable moving the dirt now. Thanks Guys.

  5. #5rrrr2026-05-16 09:54

    I have a 675, and just to echo what others have said, I put pressure on the lock. I sure do wish it had ride control though.

  6. #6cuttin edge2026-05-16 10:36

    If you are in an area where there is nothing to hit. Narrow gates or posts I used to swing the boom around till it made contact with the out rigger. Takes some of the bounce out of the front end. Especially when your bucket is empty