Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland 655E won’t throttle up

J8keJohnson77 · 2024-09-01 14:23

I have a 655E New Holland. It will start but will not throttle up. It is a Lucas type 1300 DES 8920A711W. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I need to rebuild the pump?

Replies22
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-09-01 23:19

    Did u try to run it BY HAND.?? I’ve seen the throttle rod/cable freeze up. Unhook the linkage and move the throttle on the inj pump by hand.. If it still won’t rev, it’s possible ur in for an o/h.. Does your machine use a supply pump that feeds fuel TO the inj pump.?? It might have failed..?? When was your last filter change.?? Just a few things to check before you condemn the inj pump.. Good luck

  2. #2cosmaar12024-09-01 23:20

    Can you define “throttle up”?

  3. #3J8keJohnson772024-09-02 08:25

    I have changed the filter cleaned the water separator bowl put a new pick up fuel pump put new fuel line from the tank to the water separator bowl. I have run the lever on the pump by hand. The machine will start but will not throttle up above the idle it starts at. I’m thinking something is broken inside the pump.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-09-02 08:58

    It sounds like your latch valve on the side of the pump is: A) the spring is broken. B) the piston is stuck. Find a breakdown of the pump and find which side the latch valve is on..

  5. #5NH575E2024-09-02 12:51

    One common problem a few of us with E series New Hollands have had is the banjo bolt going into the sediment bowl clogging. Pull that banjo fitting and look inside good. Not saying this is your problem but it's a good place to look for a fuel restriction.

  6. #6cosmaar12024-09-02 22:01

    For the sake of asking, moving the backhoe throttle or foot pedal does nothing? What about putting the backhoe lever in high rpm mode and then pressing on the foot pedal?

  7. #7J8keJohnson772024-09-03 19:01

    I have searched latch valve and I cannot find anything on it.

  8. #8J8keJohnson772024-09-03 19:02

    Yes I have tried this I cleaned this and no change

  9. #9thepumpguysc2024-09-03 19:05

    Snap a pic of the pump and send it to my home email.. My screen name at aoldotcom in your home email service. I’ll point it out and see if we can getcha going.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2024-09-03 19:08

    I just googled dp200 latch valve and 100 pictures popped up.. Have a look..

  11. #11J8keJohnson772024-09-03 19:11

    can I take the top off of this pump without messing thing up

  12. #12thepumpguysc2024-09-03 19:16

    NO.!!!

  13. #13J8keJohnson772024-09-03 19:22

    Ok I found the latch valve I can remove it and try to see what is wrong with it

  14. #14J8keJohnson772024-09-03 19:45

    Ok so I took the latch valve out nothing comes out of the end. Is there a trick or do I just replace it

  15. #15thepumpguysc2024-09-03 20:28

    Using a thin/small Allen wrench push it in thru the bottom.. It might have a small plastic filter in the bottom.. just pry it out..

  16. #16thepumpguysc2024-09-03 21:30

    Once u get a pick or Allen wrench into the bottom, there’s a piston and spring inside.. U should feel spring tension pushing the piston towards you..when you push on it.. But like I said, the piston is usually frozen in the bore due to water in the fuel AND/OR the spring is broken.. DO NOT TRY TO TAKE IT APART..

  17. #17J8keJohnson772024-09-03 21:44

    is it supposed to protrude out of the bottom of the unit. It feels pretty tight like it doesn’t want to move

  18. #18thepumpguysc2024-09-03 22:13

    Stop right there.!! Contact me at my screen name at aoldotcom

  19. #19Tinkerer2024-09-04 09:44

    pumpguy ; Can you posted the results of this dilemma ? It will probably help someone else wit the same problem.

  20. #20thepumpguysc2024-09-04 10:12

    I sure will Tinkerer.. if I can get my hands on it..

  21. #21Dave Neubert2024-09-05 06:51

    I have had this happen had to rebuild pump check your fuel tank to see if it is clean inside or you will do it again

  22. #22thepumpguysc2024-09-14 21:39

    Tinkerer, Jake sent me the latch valve and I checked it out. His checkball was real crusty moving in its bore..& smelled like bio-fuel.. I took it apart and lapped the bore and checkball and reassembled it, using new parts. I don’t think that was the complete problem tho. They’re usually stuck to the point that it takes a hammer and punch to remove them or the spring is broken.. With the smell of bio, I suspect the metering valve is stuck.. The bad part is, the cover can’t be removed like the DPA pump. We’ll find out, the valve is due to be delivered on Monday.. Hoping for the best..