Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland C232 hydraulic oil type and operating temp

sbklf ยท 2023-10-01 14:38

While using our new Virnig brush cutter for the first time, after about an hour, it either blew a hose or we snagged it on something and tore it. The brush cutter attachment is new to us and we were surprised how hot the hydraulic lines were when we tried to disconnect them. Our machine flow is 24 and the cutter is rated for a max of 25. Pretty sure it blew all the oil out, it is not visible in the site glass. -Is it possible the fluid over heated and/or over pressured and blew the hose? -How hot should the hydraulic fluid get going to the brush cutter? -For our Texas temps, the book suggests Tutela Auto Supreme Engine Oil ASE 10W-30, is that correct, engine oil? -What are my options for an alternate oil if I can't get this Tutela? -Will I be able to just fill the reservoir and go or will I need to bleed air or perform any other procedure? Thanks, Kevin

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2023-10-01 15:31

    The hyd oil just gets hot. If it didn't activate an indicator on dash. It was not too hot. It will usually indicate around 230 degrees. Running it on low flow like you were assuming everything is working correctly, you will not over heat that machine on low flow. You would likely be around 200 degrees, but there are a lot of variables in that temp. guess. You don't need Tutela, I buy it when I am at the CASE dealer since that is what they sell, but any 10-30 will work just fine. Just refill it, there is nothing to bleed. On a two hundred series machine, I would set the console to scroll through the different temps. That will tell you exactly what the hyd temp is along with engine temp.

  2. #2sbklf2023-10-01 17:18

    Thank you KSSS. Any benefit to use synthetic or synthetic blend over conventional? Do you have an opinion on the Traveller brand at Tractor Supply? I will be at New Holland in the morning for something else but if their oil prices are too high I would consider Tractor Supply. Are you saying I can get my display to scroll continually thru the different temps while operating? Guessing it would display where the hours are now?

  3. #3KSSS2023-10-01 18:16

    I don't know if synthetic would matter or not. I never considered using it, a hyd. line break is expensive enough. Backfilling and finding synthetic just seems more hassle than its worth. You should have no trouble keeping cool running mineral 10-30. You can price the NH oil, and honestly I find the prices at my dealer pretty competetive. However, all that matters is the weight of the oil. Yes, where your hour meter is, you can program the display to scroll, your hours. engine water temp, hyd temp. I am trying to remember what buttons you have to hit and if I had my Alpha (same as your 200 series) here I would go out and do it. I just cant do it straight off memory, but I am sure its on You Tube somewhere. You can also change your speed settings on the operation of the machine if you would like to do that as well (assuming your Hand controls).

  4. #4sbklf2023-10-01 20:36

    Okay thanks again. I sort of have a manual and found the controller section for my machine. I do have the Advanced Instrument Cluster and found the instructions for setting up scrolling of those readings.

  5. #5sbklf2023-10-01 22:49

    One more question, how can I see the engine oil pressure?