Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland Hydraulic Sight Glass Replacement

NH575E · 2025-01-17 12:59

My hydraulic tank sight glass level indicator was leaking around the window. Looking it up in the old parts manual shows a part number of 85801249. Looking this number up at Messicks just says it's discontinued. The nearest dealer to me said they showed a alternate number of 48020699. Searching around on the intraweb I found a company in Columbus, MS that showed that number in stock. My daughter was going to be passing through that town yesterday so I called and had them hold one for me. He said both part numbers still showed as good so I asked him to verify it was a fit. He looked up my machine and said his system just showed the 48020699 number. I paid $46.17 for it after tax. I measured the diameter and thread pitch to see if I could source a generic for future reference. No such luck! It measured 33x2.0mm. It is made by Mintor and they don't show an inch size that matched so it IS metric. Their part number is 1MTLA94A. The flats on the nut are 40mm but I used a 1-5/8" socket to remove and install it. It was a loose fit but worked. I used a pulse type fuel pump to get the oil level low enough to change the glass out. I'm about to go pour the oil back in and check for leaks but just letting my lunch settle first. These cheap little pumps work good for light oil and fuel transfer but are slow. It took about 30-45 minutes to pump out 5 gallons.

Replies13
  1. #1Swetz2025-01-17 15:10

    Good info, Thanks!! Boy, you sure are fixing that old girl up for the new owner

  2. #2NH575E2025-01-17 16:04

    I'm even going to replace the one bald tire on the front next week. There is no guarantee I will sell it. Just getting close to being finished with it's primary mission and wondering if it's worth keeping around with limited to no need.

  3. #3cosmaar12025-01-17 19:59

    The answer is always yes.

  4. #4cosmaar12025-01-17 20:00

    I replaced mine last summer. I didn’t have near the issue you found. It was plug and play on the 555e. I would have to go find my order for the PN, I don’t have it offhand.

  5. #5Badco2025-01-17 20:06

    Same issue here but was your glass cracked or is there a seal around the glass I asked at the dealership last summer they said they just take it out and install new Teflon tape and screw back in haven’t got to that yet just waiting till enough oil leaks out to remove it

  6. #6NH575E2025-01-17 20:36

    Mine was leaking at the plastic window. According to the Mintor site info they only have glass windows on a few high pressure pipe thread models. I think mine has a hairline crack. It is a straight thread so thread sealing tape isn't the correct seal. The original had a plastic washer behind it and the new piece came with an aluminum sealing washer. I pulled the metal piece out of the back and might fill the inside of the window with some clear epoxy to keep it somewhere I can lose it if I ever need it again.

  7. #7Badco2025-01-17 21:26

    I’ll have to mine out and see just thought would pick up the gasket when I was there but doesn’t surprise me they don’t know what they’re talking about they said was a wedge type fitting mine only leaks few drops a day not high priority but will have to get at the milky hydraulic oil sometime

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-01-18 08:36

    Sooner, rather than later on the hydraulic fluid. I am dealing with the same at the moment.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-01-21 03:19

    I used a rotary barrel pump to pump the hyd. fluid out of my track loader. I had to put a hose on the suction side because the filler is at a about 45 deg. angle on the side of the tank. The drain plug over the track would have made a mess. Would need some kind of special funnel with a long flex hose on it. There is a sight glass but it's flat and appears to be mounted from inside the reservoir I assume with a gasket. It looks like it would be difficult to replace if it leaked. Probably have to go through where the hyd. filter goes in the reservoir.

  10. #10aighead2025-01-21 12:48

    Never been able to see through my sight glass... Therefore the sight glass is a stick, if need be.

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-01-21 17:14

    The sight glass on my dump truck is too cloudy to see if there's oil in the reservoir.

  12. #12Badco2025-01-21 19:17

    the dependable stick is a real asset around these old machines also works as my fuel gauge

  13. #13aighead2025-01-22 06:41

    Yup, Badco, I used a bamboo stick for mixing in some diesel treatment just last week. With fuel I'm more of a if-I can't-see it-I-should-add-some kind of guy. My fuel gauge seems to work though, so I don't worry about it too much.