Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland L185 Hydraulic Interlock System Problems

Tom Kettles · 2021-03-08 10:11

I am working on my father in laws skid steer. L185 with the foot pedals to control the lift and tilt. 2 speed. He recently purchased a root grapple and hooked it up to the auxiliary hydraulics and as soon as he moved the right joystick to open or close the grapple the machine dies. He also had a problem several years ago with the lockout solenoids on the boom and tilt so instead of fixing the problem they just bypassed the solenoids. The solenoids were removed and they put plugs in and that "fixed" the problem. The auxiliary hydraulics have not been used until he purchased the grappler so the current problem may have be related to that problem. I would like to fix both problems as I have sons that will need to run it and I will not let them on it without the safety switches. Just not worth the risk. As far as I can tell, the seat switch and seat belt safety switch work. When I sit on it, the control panel beeps and the seat belt light and park light are on until I buckle seat belt and push the Park button. I have the solenoids that were taken out and when applying voltage they both click and the little pin retracts so it seems... the problem is not the solenoids. I took the sensor? or solenoid? off from the auxiliary spool and when the ball is pushed in it shows continuity so I assume that this sensor shows the computer if the auxiliary control is not at the neutral position? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did purchase a service manual but I am having a hard time understanding the schematics. It covers several models and it has me confused. I also have the diagrams from haytalk which are much much clearer but I am still a little confused how everything works on the interlock system and how to test the different relays etc. The door is removed and I tried just manually pushing in the switch on the pillar to see if that had any effect but it still dies immediately. Sorry for the long and rambling post. Trying to get all info to you guys that I can think of. Also, this was purchased used and I think someone has "fixed" other things because the fuse panel in the engine compartment has several 30amp fuses and a 40amp fuse which seem high and I haven't seen anything over 25 or so in the manual. Thank you

Replies13
  1. #1Midnightmoon2021-03-08 21:39

    Does the machine stall only when you try to activate aux hydraulics or is it stalling when you try to move? What's the serial #

  2. #2Zkdiesel2021-03-08 22:17

    There’s a switch in the valve body on aux port. Controls fuel solinoid when initially starting machine so it can’t have aux going during a crank Relay is one of three small Gm style relays in rear box, it controls the fuel solinoid. This alone shouldn’t cause your issue, but coupled with your previous by pass it might be. Make that work corrrctly first before you chase the aux problem

  3. #3Tom Kettles2021-03-09 09:14

    It only stalls when I try auxiliary hydraulics. The hoses jump and it will start to open before it dies. I will get serial number tonight. Thank you for info on the switch and relay. I will work on putting the lift and tilt solenoids back in and getting those working to see if that has any affect. Thank you so much for info

  4. #4Tom Kettles2021-03-09 20:06

    Serial number is N8M446243

  5. #5Midnightmoon2021-03-09 20:26

    Does it do it with the aux lines disconnected while activating aux hydraulics

  6. #6Tom Kettles2021-03-09 21:01

    Yes. It still dies when aux lines are disconnected.

  7. #7Tom Kettles2021-03-21 20:36

    Both interlock solenoids are getting 12 volts. One of the lock solenoids gets very hot so I think a bad solenoid caused the original problem. I am going to order one of those. Is it worth getting the oem part or will an aftermarket part work for 1/3 the price? Had any one had any luck with the cheaper ones? Still no luck on getting auxiliary hydraulics to work. The diodes in fuse box in engine compartment appear to work fine. Any ideas?

  8. #8Tom Kettles2021-03-25 13:22

    I believe the initial problem with the boom and lift solenoid was just a bad solenoid. The problem with the motor dying when engaging auxiliary hydraulics is still present. Does anyone know where the fuel shut off solenoid gets its power and how that works with the neutral auxiliary hydraulic switch?

  9. #9Zkdiesel2021-03-28 14:37

    Goes through one of the small relays ontop of thenud ethos fuse box. Three identical ones in row, i I believe one you use is Middle. One of trips for it is the press switch that’s in the aux function on hydro valve

  10. #10Tom Kettles2021-03-29 12:11

    Thank you. I ordered a new relay and will try that.

  11. #11Zkdiesel2021-03-29 14:02

    You need to do electrical testing! Pins for those relays tend to widen out and also push straight down in connector so it doesn’t have good connection

  12. #12Tom Kettles2021-03-31 09:48

    I will definitely test the wiring to see where power stops but I don’t know how to test the relay and a new one was $13 so if it doesn’t work i will have a spare. I didn’t know about the tendency for the bad connections on the relay connections. Thank you!

  13. #13Tom Kettles2021-03-31 10:00

    The auxiliary bypass switch has no effect either. I will test to see where power stops. Thanks for the help