Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland L553 Opinions

BluewaterLa ยท 2022-12-07 00:39

Most here seem to be my cup of tea so I'll ask for some Opinions on this machine. Going in the morning road trip to look at and possibly bring home a New Holland L553 skid steer. Guy states its a 1989 model, looks the part though for the asking price of 5K it seems like something I would get some home usage out of. Of course I plan to get it for less. Seller sent a video of machine running along with several pictures, I'm sure it needs a few hoses and a good service to start. Seller also states that the machine has one issue where the bucket will not want to lift a full load of dirt, tilt is fine. I am thinking it may be lift cylinders bypassing or control valve spool needing new seals. New Holland machines are not my wheel house per say as there are virtually None in my area with the exception of a one off here and there. Opinions may vary, this I know. Just want to know what anyone else has in mind, thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1BluewaterLa2022-12-08 00:29

    just finished up a 730 mile round trip and came back with the New Holland L553 skid steer. Machine seems pretty basic from what I am used to dealing with which is a breath of fresh air. Now to get it cleaned up, purchase and install new battery and pull both lift cylinders to rebuild them to start. Not much information on the interwebs on this machine, would anyone have a service manual laying around ? Would like to get a better understanding of the machine without having to tear it all apart snooping at the moment.

  2. #2Makar2022-12-08 04:29

    https://autoepcservice.com/product/...-l553-l554-l555-l565-service-manual_40055510/

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-12-08 15:41

    You didn't give much time to get any opinions on this skid steer. Look for cracks where the boom pivots. I recall reading it wasn't uncommon to get cracks on some New Holland loaders. Might have been earlier models though. Can you see the bucket edge when sitting in the seat? That was another issue with early models, you sat too low and couldn't see what the business end was doing. If you can't might want to see if the seat could be raised a bit. 5K isn't a bad price if everything works properly.

  4. #4BluewaterLa2022-12-09 17:07

    Yes things progressed pretty fast for when to meet up and look at the machine. Between my schedule and the seller, Wednesday was the only day for quite some time. Machine does have the seat a bit lower and the large bucket makes ground visibility a pain, though I plan to fix that at a later date and do a modification on the bucket height just in the middle so its easier to see in front. Machine runs well, travels well with a few minor issues. Boom cylinders leak down, Likely bypassing so I ordered two kits with pistons this morning. Tilt cylinder is fine One of the hub seals leaks so I ordered enough seals for all four hubs, mind as well get them all fresh so no worries afterward. Going to fully service the machine and buy a new battery needed. Other than the age it seems like a good enough deal for 4,500. Would have felt a bit better at 3.500 but I needed a machine and this one fit the bill for my need and price range.