Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Caterpillar 216B No Auxiliary Hydraulic Flow

Billy Bob Deluxe · 2022-12-07 08:40

I recently bought an angle blade, that I saw working prior to purchasing, but cannot get any auxiliary hydraulic flow on my 2004 Cat 216B, 0216BERLL00474. I purchased the OMM and tried the sequence suggested in there and also tried the Hydraulic Lockout switch as suggested in another similar thread. It’s darn near 30 below C and I would like to try everything I can before lifting the cab and blind troubleshooting. Any suggestions for where to start?

Replies14
  1. #1Mobiltech2022-12-07 08:44

    So when you roll the thumbwheel on the right joystick can you hear any change in the engine speed? There will be a fuse for auxiliary hyd ecm try that first.

  2. #2Nige2022-12-07 11:17

    Do you have an electrical schematic for it.?

  3. #3Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-07 11:29

    My unit is older. It has one yellow button on the left joystick and 2 on the right.

  4. #4Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-07 11:30

    Yes. You sent me one for an issue I had with the seat safety switch (which I was able to fix using the schematic)! Thanks again.

  5. #5Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-08 08:12

    Replacing a fuse is an easy fix, I will check them. However, a popped fuse may indicate an underlying problem somewhere else. What could pop one of these fuses under normal operation?

  6. #6Mobiltech2022-12-08 08:22

    Wire rubbed through or ecm failing.

  7. #7Nige2022-12-09 07:35

    Speaking of ECMs have you had a look at them recently to see if there is an accumulation of dirt/mud around them.? It’s a common issue and plays havoc with both the ECM and the wiring.

  8. #8Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-09 08:21

    I will have a look thanks. I understand that replacing these can be very costly.

  9. #9Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-09 08:31

    My interpretation of the starting sequence for the auxiliary hydraulics is as follows: Press and hold either yellow button on the right joystick Press and hold the left button Release the right button within 1 second Release the left button Now I should have hydraulics. I do not. There is no discernible change in rpm due to load. I am unclear on the next step in the sequence however, where it says that by pressing either right or left buttons now will cancel/turn off the auxiliary hydraulic flow. If I did have flow, how would I control it without using the right 2 buttons, which would turn off the flow?? It’s supposed to only be -8 tomorrow so I plan on getting greasy and irate

  10. #10Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-10 17:24

    All fuses intact. All contacts cleaned, dielectric grease and replaced. No change.

  11. #11Nige2022-12-10 18:43

    Have you back-probed the wiring harness connectors underneath both joysticks to check the continuity from the push button switches when they are pressed.?

  12. #12Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-11 10:18

    No I have not. Thank you for the schematics

  13. #13Nige2022-12-11 10:52

    I only snipped them from the same electrical schematic that apparently according to your post #5 I sent to you a long time ago.

  14. #14Billy Bob Deluxe2022-12-11 19:07

    Troubleshooting this will require warmer weather and days of down time. The attached is the left side ECM I presume. I believe this is part of the operator interlock, WH-common, and BU-parking brake lamp. The conductors are still attached. I did not test the joystick aux hydr buttons.