Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New holland l785 ford diesel

Dimambro22 ยท 2012-09-19 20:57

Hi, I am new to the site and am loving all the information avalible. I have recently acquired the previous mentioned machine it is a 1986 l785 with under 3000 hours. The previous owners told me they were having a problem with the drive linkage, but everything else worked just fine. Finally today got it started ran loud...not just diesel motor loud but whine from the pumps. So I shut it off and started to check the filter screens to see if they were plugged I got one out before it was to dark and found all sorts of metal shavings and what I believe is silicone caulk used for sealing the hydrolic fluid cases. Should I be conserved and where else should I start looking for the problem with the drive linkage? Thanks and sorry for such a long post. P.s. new to owning a skid steer but have worked with diesels and such.

Replies3
  1. #1NCPIPELINE2012-09-20 08:59

    Metal in filter, ouch. This could get pricey.

  2. #2Dimambro222012-09-20 17:33

    Figured as much but where do I start tearing down? Since the final drive cases hold the hydraulic oil could it be the final drive granaded it's not a ton of metal but enought to be concerned with. Please help I pretty much got this thing for free ( people owed me money that I was sure I would never see) if I have of put a little cash to make it worth something I can. Am just lost on where to start I have the repair manual just need the starting point and what to look for. Thanks Chris

  3. #3Dimambro222012-09-29 00:37

    Well got all the safety devices to clear and found out that everything works except the left hand drive. If I push the controls forward or reverse it will make a 1/4 revolution then stop. Almost like it catches on a break or someone is there something I am missing or is the hydro or drive pump bad? And how would one go about checking that? Thanks