Hi, I have a question I need some help with. I have a lb75-b. The steering is giving me a little issue. Like I can turn the steering wheel continuously and it never stops and the tires barley move but will turn. When I give it throttle it does get better but something def isn’t right. With out the throttle mashed a little the tires won’t move. The loader bucket and the back boom has way more power than I was expecting it to have, very very strong machine ! Just the steering is giving me a fit. Any help would be appreciated !!
You have either leaking piston seals in the steering cylinders or a leaking steering orbital valve. Remove the hoses from the steering cylinders and plug them. Try the steering wheel, if it’s hard to steer, then you have a steering cylinder leaking oil internally. If the steering wheel continues to turn without stopping or any resistance, you have a failed orbital. Im not sure if your tractor has a steering priority valve but a stuck one can cause similar problems
Steering piston seals are shot. Wish I would have documented the repair on mine better to share. It was a certified PITA. The tie rod ends are on ultra tight and the little flat on the end of the rod is not wide enough to get a good hold on the rod. I had to use a 3 foot pipe wrench on both tie rod ends and hope the right one came loose first so I could get the rod out. I got lucky and that did happen but then to get the other end off I had to buy and size a split rod clamp to clamp onto the piston so I could loosen the other tie rod end without damaging the piston. I think at the time I did find a steering cylinder on eBay for about $600 but then would need new tie rod ends to go on it.
Thank the both of you for this info!! I’m new to this and im trying to figure out how to do it without going to a shop with it! I will look into both of these and see what I can come up with !! Thanks again you guys !
This was me trying to get the tie rod end loose on my first attempt. I eventually had to set up a 2x4 to get more leverage and pry down on the right side wrench. You want to put the loosening force on the right side to try and get it to come loose first. The rod has to feed out of the left side.
Surprising that they are that hard to remove with how dainty they look... Good luck with this project Matt. If you can try documenting, not only for me (I also have a lb75b) but for the world!
I have used an air hammer with a chisel bit on those when I knew I was replacing it. It worked maybe 50% of the time. I had a couple I had to burn out with a torch.
I started out with good intentions of documenting the whole process but got flustered with having to order something to rig a holder to get the left side tie rod end off and didn't record that or the assembly part. For that I bought Part # 6436K81 Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collar for 2-7/16" Diameter from McMaster Carr. I had to do some filing and fitting to get it to clamp on the piston but after I got it to fit tight I was able to hold the rod with my pipe wrenches to loosen the left side tie rod end without damaging the piston. The part number for my cylinder is 85805978 and it looks like it fits some Case Models and others. I found several listings for the complete cylinder on eBay for $591 and the kit as low as $50. It was the only repack I've done that didn't supersede any parts. Probably because the piston is an integral part of the rod. Other than the tie rods ends being so tight the cylinder removal and repack is pretty simple. You have to remove both line connections and on the right side line you have to remove the line adaptor so the barrel can come out. Then it has 4 bolts on the left side that holds the barrel in the housing. Here is an illustration. This pic shows where the shaft seal goes at the point of the arrow.
Thank you so much for this info!! I changed all the oil /filters today to try and see if that would help which it did some but not like it’s supposed to!! The steering wheel keeps on a turning and the tires are still slow to react ! I guess this will be my next approach.. I actually ran into another minor problem I have got to figure out while figuring. I changed the fuel filter and didn’t think about putting fuel in the filter first which I did all the hydraulics… I know I know I made a mistake but we all do. Finally got it to crank and let it run some but when I cut it off I try to crank it again and it spins and spins and finally cranks! Hopefully just air in the line !! But as far as the steering I’m goin to see about ordering seals for the cylinders you showed … don’t remember the part number for that ??
I don't know if the LB75 has the same cylinder as my 575E so don't depend on the numbers I quoted.
So I have 2 hoses on the backhoe that I just removed because I’m not goin to use them and was looking to find out how and where would I get and sell them. They are the auxiliary hoses also what would they be worth ??
Maybe FB or CL. Not a great market for pre-made hydraulic hoses unless they are spot on replacements.
These are the original lines that were came on it ? I hate to just throw away but idk if there is anyone needing them !
I make my own hydraulic hoses and have fittings and stick hose. I still save every hose that holds pressure, that came off mine or other peoples equipment. You never know when you will need a spare hose for an emergency. I have a few bins, that I store the old hoses in, up in my garage attic. If you don’t need them now, you may in the future.
Thanks