After removing injection pump to replace broken bolts holding it on, my ignorant self did not pin the pump when removing. After NUMEROUS tries of moving pump installing and moving. I still can’t get it to run. I have service information for an LS180 but the 180.B has different engine. The injection pump is located at the rear. I have a dial indicator and the kit to screw it into the end of the pump I just need some guidance. I do know starter must be removed to check pin for timing. I just need to know how to set the pump. Any help is appreciated!!!
Welcome to HEF @James Carlson This was discussed in an thread going back some time ago - it has pictures from service manual for the entire procedure. New Holland L180 timing
@alrman thank you guys for letting me be apart of this forum. I have found that thread. And Unfortunately I did not pin the pump when removing. I have the engine set back to TDC Via the information I found in that thread. Now I just need to know how to set the timing on the pump to be re-installed. I hope @thepumpguysc can shed some light on setting the timing on the pump itself.
pumpguysc is a busy making squillions, maybe I can help All the info you need is in those lower set of pictures of the manual - spec is 1.0mm Set engine at TDC Set dial gauge to at least 2.5mm Rotate engine backwards till dial gauge stops moving & reset dial gauge to zero Turn engine in running direction back up to TDC Rotate injector pump so dial gauge reads 1.0mm & tighten. BTW - a screw driver down the No. 1 injector hole is not the most accurate way to test TDC - be 100% certain you are on compression stroke or it wont run.
Thanks a bunch. The last thing holding me up would be where does the keyway on the pump shaft need to be turned/positioned when I put it back in to re-install the nut. I have the pump out right now. I found an older thread and it has photo of the key facing the small notch on the housing of the pump…..do I need to turn the pump until it is on cylinder #1? , this pump does not have a keyway in the gear it is slip fit. Thanks again
Ah, if your injector pump has no woodruff key, you're up poop creek! You can disregard just about everything said above. The pump needs to be set using tools by fuel injection specialists, locked in place & fitted to the engine at TDC, & remembering to then unlock the pump. The correct torque of the nut holding the drive gear is critical, as you don't want it coming loose. Just going off pictures for keyway position is not accurate enough for correct timing. That service manual is not specific to your engine, even though it may look very similar.
Sorry guys, I just saw this.. Where we at.?? Still trying to time the pump.?? Does the pump have a notch in the aluminum hsg by the drive shaft.? Looking at the front of the pump, it should be either at 6:00 or 10:00..
Yes I’m at square one on timing the pump…I’m pretty sure this is the mark your speaking of. Yes sir it has one. Where do I go from here?? Thank you
@thepumpguysc do I need to set the keyway on the mark? like in the photo? Then set to 1.05mm pre spec
Yes but u have to set and lock the drive shaft IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION OF ROTATION.. Looking at the name plate on the pump, does it read R??? Or L??? That’s telling you if the pump is a right hand rotation or left hand rotation..standing in front of the pump..
@thepumpguysc i will look tonight, im pretty sure it is L but I will post back when I make sure. Thank you so much sir.