We were doing some light grading and noticed and pretty bad smell. Thought it was a gas line we hit then ran the machine for another 15 mins until I noticed a black liquid coming out from the inner side of the sprocket. Got it to the shop unloaded it and it started to track/move smoothly on that side (sitting in machine left side). Thoughts drove motor or final drive? OPTIONS?
duo cone seal leak. could be caused by an internal issue with the drive motor or could just be buggered up from mud caked in there. How many hours on it? Also post your serial number.
CAT0249DHGWR00680 It's a 2016 with 2750 hrs. Bought it October 2021. How do I tell if it's the drive motor or final drive?
Final drive and drive motor are referring to the same thing. It's a hydraulic motor with a planetary gear set. Are you asking how to tell if it's the hydraulic side or gear hub side? You will likely have to pull it off to see and determine if it's possible to reseal or needs rebuild or replacement.
Yes, I was asking how to determine which side it was. Thanks. Is the best option to go through the Cat dealer for parts/purchase or rebuild? It felt like it was on the gear side. Felt like bearings started to go and "lock" things up.
Are there numbers stamped on the drive motor?
This link should take you to disassembly of the travel motor after removing it from the machine. https://avsmanual.com/i.caterpillar/i06177895/ You may have to use Google "translate". I did. And, each blue printed words are links to the pictures. It's kinda awkward to use, but, it's free. But, having read them directions, I suggest taking the motor (or machine) to your Cat dealer. The disassembly requires more than just removing bolts to get to your duocone seal, which, BTW, is what is leaking.
Had the final drive motor looked at and the main shaft is pretty much destroyed. I am now looking for a new or reman drive motor. CAT is about $5k for a new one. Are there any other well known suppliers out there. I am located in Ohio
I got a 259d final from Texas final drives... was about $3k. But that was pre-covid dollars
How the heck can you even shop for another without the part number?
Yeah I'm not going to hold my breath. Found a place in Elkhart, Indiana for $3900
I've been giving people the serial number and they can match it
Thank you for the part number!