My 2004 LS180 has a Lucas Delphi keyless tapered shaft injection pump on it which is not shown on the New Holland parts page. I have had all kinds of problems with it. The most recent is the advance pin came out of the cam ring and chewed the advance piston up badly. I disassembled the pump, cleaned it and after my injector service man gave me a pin which I Loctited into the cam ring, got it running again. All has been well until tonight when it went back to running rough and smoking badly (piston probably stuck with cam ring in advance or retard). The older LS180s had the DPA design pump on them which are much more reliable, less expensive and simpler than what I have. My question is this; can I retrofit my machine to the older DPA pump? I would have to change drive gear and pump, and maybe lines and engine backing plate. Are the drive gears the same diameter and tooth count, and how could I align timing? A rebuilt Lucas Delphi is a grand or more and I can get a 4610 DPA for $600 and get rid of my headaches. Any thoughts from thepumpguys? Everyone save the "it's too difficult for a novice, take it to a shop" line. I am the shop.
I can answer the Will it work and run question because we have used newer blocks in older tractors but I can not say which parts It will take for sure. The older pumps are not emissions compliant so they upgraded. I don't like the newer pumps due to the tedious setup for the timing but haven't had much trouble keeping them together. The old DPA pumps go forever.
Check with Stanadyne. They make easily serviceable aftermarket fuel system components. http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=23
Just an update for those interested. The older CAV DPA pumps will work on the machines with the newer junk Lucas Delphi system. The timing cover has to be removed for the older pin locate drive gear from any three or four cylinder engine from the mid '60's on to be installed. The mounting plate pilot hole is the same on both pumps. In a need to get my machine going again quick, was able to rebend all my lines to fit instead of waiting for new aftermarket lines. If I get the $100 promised for my old pump, I will be out less than $700 with a better fueling system. This compared to a grand or more just to go through what I had. The only parts NEEDED are a pump and drive gear. I rigged the rest (lines, banjo fittings) from parts on hand. One question I still have is should I remove the pump head filter and install an old style free flow filter and base or leave it in place? I had to install a kill cable so I have to be sure and remember to kill the engine before turning off the key to prevent it running out of fuel and having to go through the bleed procedure.
im looking to do the same thing to my machine. did the injectors work or did you have change them also?
Welcome to HEF, bradls180 ! Sadly wrwtexan hasn't been logged in over a year ago. He prolly won't answer your question.
I have worked with a couple of fellas this year who have done the conversation and it works.. Had 1 guy send his injectors in to lower the opening pressure.. from 3200 to 25-2600psi. BUT I never heard back..