Hi I've got a lx885 motor won't turn over I think it's locked up I've pulled the injectors and poured some material in the head to try to break free the right side joystick on machine feels locked up if so would that stop me from being able to turn the engine over I've put a ton of pressure on a 11/8 socket and moved the entire machine and engine hasn't moved a bit thanks for any thoughts
I'd look real close at the hydraulic pump coupling and any other accessories on the engine to see if that's what's got the engine locked. Also, there's a huge difference between a tiny bit of movement, and locked up solidly. Next step would be to either pull the engine/pumps, or pull the starter and see if the flywheel will move back and forth with a screwdriver prying on the ring gear. The joystick won't keep the engine from turning from a bar, maybe the starter.
I guess the $64k questions is - What exactly happened prior to the "motor won't turn over"..? What were you doing with the machine..? Strange noises, smells, whatever..? Knowing the circumstances that led up to the situation you're in now would assist greatly to identify what is the root cause of the problem.
The other thing is this motor is not like a 54 Dodge pickup, break it loose and it just burns a little more oil. A modern high output diesel that's locked up doesn't have a great prognosis of being a reliable running engine. Now if this is a no history auction purchase, and you want the motor to run to see if everything works and the motor is worth rebuilding, then it might be worth breaking it loose, rather than rebuilding the motor to find out the rest is trash and now you have a rebuilt motor to sell.
Hey thanks for everyone's thoughts. I bought the unit from a Auction don't have any history on it . Looks great and like it hasn't had a hard life but from what I can see has been poorly maintained engine looks pretty good so far but I've only removed the valve cover and pulled injectors . I also removed the starter I haven't tried moving the flywheel in fear of damaging it so I put a socket on crank and it won't move a bit.
If that’s the case then maybe the simplest thing to do is snatch the engine (or the hydraulic pump, whichever is easiest) and see which one of the two isn’t turning. It would be really bad news if the answer was both of them.
Ok so then the hydraulics could possibly keep the motor from turning over it's a 50/50 your saying?
What I'm saying is that you could have the hydraulic pump locked up, or it could be the engine. Right now there is no way to tell, all you know is that the combined unit won't turn. Separating the two components would allow you to figure out what's locked up - you could be unlucky and have the trifecta where they're BOTH locked up.
Technically, the trifecta would be a locked up engine, hydro pump, and all four wheel motors. Though a contaminated hydraulic system would be good enough to qualify
Well looks like time to tear into this thing I greatly appreciate the help thank you I'll post a update once I get it pulled apart
There could be other reasons why the engine wont turn over. You have a gear box between the hydraulic pumps and the engine, it has a dipstick between the drive pumps. Check that for oil level. I have also had machines come in for locked up engines and the fuel injection pump be locked up. Just for your info.