Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland LX885 pro’s/con’s

amscontr ยท 2010-11-29 11:49

We looking at a '97 LX885 Turbo. I ran the machine when the original owner bought it new. Since then he sold it and now a 3rd owner has it and it's showing around 2000 hrs. Supposedly the 2nd owner rebuilt the pumps??? Anyhow I was wondering if any of you had one and what issues or luck you've had with one. Also just browsing Machinery Trader I've seen several mid 90's to late 90' with anywhere from 2500 to 4500 hrs and from 10k to 16k. I just hate to spend that kind of money on a pile of crap. Weren't these models and some of the John Deere the same?

Replies6
  1. #1frogfarmer2010-11-29 13:00

    I have been around several of those machines and nothing out of the ordinary comes to mind. If the pumps failed at less than 2000hrs I would be concerned about the care the machine was given. If you know or can find out the history that can be helpful. They are heavy and resale value is a little lower than some. Personally I would be looking at newer more fuel effecient models. New Holland as well as the other big names sell a ton of machines in the 1700lb class and you can pick up a used one cheap. They will be a little lighter and alot easier to find parts for.

  2. #2amscontr2010-11-29 18:25

    I appreciate the response. I have seen several out there with well over 3500 hours on them and I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend 35000 on a used one or I'd buy a new one. Just can't justify that kind of an investment for something to sit around for a part time toy. But I want something that when I need it to do the job to be ready. So basically I'm looking for some imput from current or former owners of the LX885 and what to expect out of one.

  3. #3td25c2010-11-29 19:24

    We have a 1997 JD 8875 ,JD version of the LX885.It's been a good earner over the years & not had much trouble with it.They start great in cold weather.I keep tracks on mine year around.Got several attachments for it.One of the most important attachments is the JD pro 911 extenda hoe.We use it all the time .I would not be afraid of a LX 885 ,In my opinion New Holland built one of the best Skidloaders around.Had an Excellent loader design that has stood the test of time & other manufactuers try to copy it as close as they can.

  4. #4murphy7772010-12-01 21:41

    Ive got a 98 lx 565 which is a much smaller machine, the hour clock reads about 9000 plus, and I have had good luck with it. The john deere and new hollands of that era were almost the same machine. I really like the boom set up, because it eliminates alot of blind spots, and it can lift quite high for such a small machine. My one complaint is that my machine has no real armrests, so on bumpy ground you really have to concentrate on keeping the machine steady....I would reccomend a new holland to anyone

  5. #5maxamillion672010-12-03 20:43

    If you are skeptical do not buy it. I found a 2005 185B NH, 2 speed with heated cab and 2800 hours on it. It is 8 years newer than the one your are looking at. It is at a Dealers lot in Minot ND. If you check other dealer maybe you can find one closer to where you live. Here is the link to the ad with the 2005 NH. http://www.bismanonline.com/2005_new_holland_185b_skidsteer

  6. #6td25c2013-05-12 21:33

    Check the motor mounts Changed the oil & serviced the JD 8875 today.As I was draining the oil I looked up & noticed the oil pan bolts on the left hand side were starting to rub on the plastic fuel tank .Looks like I'l be replacing the engine mounts soon.For today as a temp repair I removed the bolt from the mount under the bell housing and added about 1/4 inch of shims under it to gain some clearence between the bolts & fuel tank.My machine is the JD version of the New Holland LX885 so I thought I would add this to the thread.