Gday all, i'm looking at getting a bobcat, around the 15k mark. This is my first skid steer, anyone have ideas which are good machines to get? I like the look of the Toyota machines, Bobcat S130, Case 1840 or Bobcat TL190 Tracked machine. The TL190 looks in fairly good nick except the tracks I assume it will need a complete rebuild there, given that its a fairly cheap machine would it be worthwhile buying it and rebuilding it once i have got some work out of it? I have read that they are far superior for work on slopes which i do a fair bit of, so that is a major motivation to purchase such a machine. The intended uses for the loader will be moving round bales of hay, grading, earthmoving, i would possibly want to get a backhoe attachment in the future. Any suggestions please Cheers Alex
The T-190 I think is a poor example of a tracked machine. Too heavy, too little power, the hyd. noise is loud, the machine goes over relief easy when it looks at pile of material. The Hand controls are heavy and stiff (servos would help) in AHC. But demo it and maybe it would do what you need. Since the T-190 is the only tracked machine you list as an option you would need to decide if any tracked machine is better than a wheel machine. The 1840 is rock solid, I personally have had 4 of them over the years. The pin brake system is the only real let down of the machine, they are loud compared to current machines, however they will go to work everyday, and hold their value well at least here. Dont know anything of Toyota, just what you guys from down South have to say which is always positive. The S130 I have never run. I have been on jobs with a couple, they seem low on power to me, but that is just an observation.
I wouldnt pick the T190 just because it has tracks. As stated above they do have short comings. 1840s and 1845Cs are rock solid and I would not hesitate to recommend them as a starter machine. If the machine is for farm use a set of over the tire tracks (OTT) can be very handy and alot cheaper than a tracked machine. S130s are not popular overhere because they are too small. S185s are by far the most popular sized machine from BC. I dont think an S130 will handle bales well if at all. No experience with Toyota. Of the ones you listed I would pick an 1840 10 to 1.
Ok, I am new to skid steers and you work with them every day so yes, I am speaking from an armchair perspective. However, I have seen guys like http://www.youtube.com/user/JimHowDigsDirt who has been able to do many tasks with his T190 over 1200 hours and is still happy with it. I am thinking of purchasing a T190 in the very new future so your post above is concerning. The local dealer has told me they think the T190 is the best skid steer in the line (outside the M series) based on customer feedback. So are you being a little harsh on the T190 or do you really believe what you stated above?
have you looked at cat machines?
I very much believe it. I have demoed or rented three new or near new T-190's. They are everything I said they are. Perhaps some of it is we live at alt. and they have no extra hp to spare. If you don't know any better than perhaps they might not seem as weak or inept. I have never run a bigger tracked POS than the T-190. On the other hand the T250 is much better. I also like the S220. While I am not a BC customer some of their machines I do like, the T-190 is a boat anchor.
If that T190 needs and undercarriage rebuild, I hope you can get it for free. That will cost a pile of money. I'm a Bobcat guy so I would go with a S185 or S220 and then put steel tracks over the tires if you decide you need them. A set if tires is a lot cheaper than a set of tracks. I handle round bales with my S185 but its a little light in the ass sometimes. 220's are longer and need a little more room.
Gday all thanks for the great responses Now i have limited my search down to the following brands and models CASE: >> 1840 >> 1845c >> 75 XT >> 70 XT BOBCAT: >> 763 F / G >> S180 >> 853 >> S185 NEW HOLLAND: >> LX 865 >> LS 160 >> LS 170 CAT: >> 226B >> 247 Tracked ASV: >> RC 60 >> RC 50 TOYOTA: >> 2SDK8 KOMATSU: >> SK820 Going to be doing quite a lot of heavy work with the machine, i'm leaning towards a Bobcat or a Case as they seem to have good reports and are very popular. Any suggestions of other models please feel free to suggest. I will be doing many hours in the machine so a fully enclosed cab may be a requirement, again your thoughts on this too. Cheerio Alex
The case 1840 & 1845c are two of the most reliable skid steers made. They are a farmers skidsteer though, meaning they are short and tip more easily than some other models. I wouldn't be so quick to write off the tracked skid steers. Yes, tracks cost more than tires, but they push harder, lift better, and go places no wheeled loader would ever try. There mobility is very simular to that of a lgp dozer, and they slide before they tip on a side slope. I've ran both the bobcat t180 & the t190 and while they don't have as much lift as a larger one, they do ok. And either will beat a 1840 in dirt work. Nice thing is that they can be hauled with a pickup easier than the 11k pound t300's Personally I like the takeuchi tl140, 150, 240, 250 machines the best. Mini 953's is what I call them.
If you don't have to have tracks and lets be honest there is a lot of stuff where you do not need tracks. That being said I would say go with a 70XT, a lot of power, way more lifting than the 1840/1845's, are much more comfotable to run. I had a 70XT for a while and it was a great machine, only traded it in to get a newer machine(440S3). I started with a NH 665/NH170 and they were decent little machines, not a lot of power but worked hard for me. One option if you feel you need tracks would be the Takeuchi 130/230, I would call it the 'modern' 1845, more no frills but like a small dozer.
we got an s185 wheel machine with 7500 hours on it and it runs and drives like new yet. its amazes me how reliable it is. a t190 was not built for power, but it will get the job done. if you use your head when using your machine you should be ok.
trying to decide I have an oppurtunity to purchase a good bobcat 642b gas skid ---- have been concidering a bobcat purchase for some time however this would be my first time --is this a good first timer bobcat i would be useing it for clearing stumps leveling alittle dirt popping stump etc would this be a good first time type bobcat thanks for any info
Thanks for the responses, the 70XT i can pick up for 22k, is this a reasonable price for the machine? Details, 4500 hours, tyres are good, paintwork is good, 4in1 bucket. Have had a bit more of a look at skid steers, the 1840 really looks like the machine to beat, its compact, has power, and would have a high resale value. Can i put other attachments on the 1840, such as a hydro broom? or a trencher? Cheers Alex
One other thing to consider is what kind of dealers you have close by. Machines are a lot quicker to fix when they are easy to get parts for.I have JCB's Terex and Bobcats and if the dealer is close by it (machine) can be running sooner which is helpfull to finish the job.
1840's can run attachments but they don;t have the flow that the modern skidsteers have. Not all the 1840's were equiped with aux. hydraulics either. If it has the aux. hyd., most low flow attachments should be ok.
Ok gents, been doing more looking and thinking, i have a feeling that a tracked machine is the way to go, given the slopes and steep conditions i have to work in. Can anyone tell me about the Cat 247B, ASV RC50, Cat 267B??? The initial upfront cost i think will repay itself with a much better machine... All ideas please point them this way Cheers Alex
I have a 2002 242 Cat Skid Steer, rubber tired machine. I do not have much experience with the track machines, but really like the Cat. Cat make a great machine and I love the joystick control on them. I bought is used with 2700 hours on it. It runs great and I use it for snow removal and around my acerage for moving round bales cleaning corrals. As far as the tracks are concerned I hear they are not as good in the snow as the rubber tired machines are. But the track machines are better for landscaping, easier on sod and have more traction on dirt. I think bobcat, case, cat and NH all make a good machine, you just need to try them out and see which one you like best. Also look for the one with the best dealer support, and buy a machine that is big enough for what you want to do. Most of the attachments that are available will work with the newer machines. Good luck with the machine you buy.
If your stuck on tracks take a gook look at Takeuchi. They build a very strong reliable machine and are user friendly. Gehl and Mustang also have Takeuchi built track machines and should be strong as well.
Gday all have been looking more and more at these bobcats, seems like there is a huge variety of models to choose from. The models i'm really looking into are the case 1840 and toyota 4sdk8. The bobcats in this size range seem to be over priced. The tracked machines seem to churn up the ground too much when doing general clearing work. What is the cost of a new set of tracks for an ASV RC 60? There is one going cheap, but needs new tracks, it has 3500 hours on the machine, looks very neat and tidy all bar the tracks. cheers Alex
I would rule out a Case 1840. They tend to rock and roll like a bucking bronk. The 1845C however is much more stable. I would look hard at an 1845C over an 1840.
I dont really think if I was going open a company to make a profit I would be looking at any machines with over 2500 hrs. In the real world machines will start to cost a pile of money and down time when the pumps and drives fail. this will start to happen any time after 4000 hours if its only had some care with fluid changes, if its had good care maybe it will run to 7000 hrs and need a motor, drives and pumps and at that point its scrap value only. I would look at the techuchi TL-130, its around a 7000 lb machine will lift 5000 lbs close to the arms and pushes and dig like a machine twice its weight. Very rock solid , will not let you down and reasonable parts repair bills. Tracks are still reasonable priced and the after market supports it with all the undercarage parts you would ever need.
i wouldnt hesitate for a second to pick up a s185 with 2500 hours on it as long as it was taken care of. 2500 hours is nothing from my experience with 185s.
Thanks fellas, so the rule of thum here is that once they hit 2500 hours they are pretty much stuffed... The tak is a very nice looking machine. So its well and truly worth the extra expense and get a much newer machine??? How many yards can i move in say ten hours with a Tak 150. Compacted clay soil, moving it say 100 m to a stock pile. How well do they handle slopes and such, have work on say 1:1 slopes?? cheers Alex