Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland w170b blowing ECM fuse (close to case 821)

Hardlyworking ยท 2025-07-06 21:55

Hey guys, i got a 2008 New Holland w170B, basically the Case 821. It keeps blowing the F9 fuse in the ECA? I believe it's called. Fuse box. Parked the loader roughly last weekend, ran fine. Hopped in it today to use it and I got the beeping alarm and the yellow flashing light came up with fault code - 9129 (Can msg Engine communication time out). From what I could find on Google this is the ECM fuse. I have only owned the loader a couple months and it hasn't done this since I have owned it. If I replace the 10amp fuse, as soon as I turn the ignition forward to "on" NOT crank, it instantly pops the fuse. I pulled the rubber matt off the floor and followed the wires running down from the colum and didn't see any chafs. But as I was actually out at my camp to fight with my dead duramax, and it was pouring I didn't investigate any further... Just wondering if there is a likely spot or culprit I should look for first, and if anybody has a wiring schematic, and where exactly the ECM is on this machine so I know where to start tracing.. I will say, I need to reseal the windshield as from about 3/4 the way down (just below the heater vents) on the LEFT side, to the left of the brake pedal. it does trickle water in during rain storms if I'm parked the right way... Been meaning to seal that up. When I took the steering colum panel off though and lifted the floor Mat I didn't see any wires wet or connectors.

Replies2
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2025-07-08 20:12

    I would check your wiring harness and connectors. Also check the trans shift solenoid at trans control valve.

  2. #2Hardlyworking2025-07-10 09:37

    I got it fixed, thanks. My dead man switch has been giving me grief to the point i have been having to use pliers to turn it, been meaning to switch it. That day I figured it was the dead man so I swapped in a spare I had, but it was a 2 prong not 4, the original was 4 and had 2 small wires. Figured I'd put a separate switch on the 2 small ones for now to join them as I wasn't sure if they needed to be grounded or looped. I somehow didn't notice that the original Deadman was not only not making good connections inside, but it shorted out those small wires down the line and burnt them up some. Having no wiring diagram I ohmd out wires I could trace, and by process of elimination unplugged every plug I could find in the engine bay 1 by 1 until I stopped blowing the fuse so I atleast knew which circuit to trace.