Have a New Holland W80C wheel loader. Operator started it around 11:30pm (10°F) last night and found electronic throttle pedal was frozen. He stomped it hard and made it move again, but instantly realized the engine rpms will not change with throttle position. Dealer was called and New throttle pedal assembly located and purchased. On installation, it was found that the new throttle pedal assembly accepts a wiring harness plug, where the old throttle assembly is hard wired in with no visible plugs in the harness. Contacted dealer, a pigtail that is spliced into the main harness is available, but no dealer in Michigan has one. Their parts locator says a dealer in Ohio and another in Illinois each have one, but we can't get it before Tuesday. This loader runs about 8 hours a day mixing feed and it really messes up the day when it's broke down. It's only 2 years old, has about 4200 hours on it. For the guys that know electrical, is this a generic style plug that I may be able to find elsewhere? I'm headed to local Deere dealer, and then maybe Napa to see what might be available. If there is another resource, I would appreciate the information.
Kinda looks like a TE Amp superseal connector. https://www.waytekwire.com/catalog/connectors/te-connectivity-amp-superseal-1-5mm-connectors/te-connectivity-amp-superseal-1-5mm-6
Look at Napa EC2714 EC2715 EC2717 All pigtails with 6 terminals.
Man, thank you. That's the best lead I've had yet. Local Deere dealer was a bust. None of the housings they had were small enough. They had pins that would work, but no housing. At NAPA, their guy is pretty sharp and looking through their stock right now
Thank you, at NAPA right now
NAPA for the win! EC565 is a direct fit. I just told my uncle, he said, "Good, the dealer in Ohio won't release it, and the dealer in Illinois just verified their stock and they don't actually have it"
Probably a lot cheaper than it would be from the dealer anyway! I imagine there will be no more tromping on pedals when they're frozen from now on?
The dealer was only $28 for the part. NAPA was $21. It was stupid. That loader has heat and it works very well. He could have let it sit and idle with the heat on for 15 minutes and all of this would have been avoided.
Well, this was all for naught. I got back and spliced in the new NAPA pigtail. Fired up the loader and got zero throttle response. Double checked everything I did and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I called the powers to be and they decided to call the dealer for a tech to come look at it. They told us Monday, then called us back 30 minutes later and said one was in the area and would stop by. I got him up to speed on what we had done, and he went after it. Hooked up laptop to find that he is getting a signal from the pedal, but it doesn't change as he sweeps the pedal. After an hour of troubleshooting, he has decided that either the new throttle pedal is bad, or the UCM has gone bad (not likely though as machine has run perfectly right up until it was shut off yesterday). He ohmed the throttle pedal and said the resistance isn't changing like he expected it to, so he is leaning on us receiving a bad part. There are no new throttle assemblies available for a week or more. The dealer has another machine in their yard that runs. He is going to borrow the throttle assembly from it and bring it out to try on Monday morning to test his theory. I really wish I had access to the service information for this machine. I would love to read through on how this throttle assembly is supposed to work, and to be able to confirm I wired the pigtail properly.
I was wondering how you was gonna know how to place them 6 wires.
I held the sensors in the same orientation and went with that. According to the tech that came out, I was correct, though I did have my doubts when it didn't work.
Has your curiosity led you to pop the metal cover off the old one shown in the picture above to see what's inside?
Show us a view of the backside of that sensor
The dealer tech must have taken the old sensor when he left Friday. It was sitting on the floor of the loader when he got there, and I cant find it anywhere in the shop now. It's just a hole on the other side that goes over a boss with 2 magnets on the throttle pedal assembly.
I took the sensor off the new pedal assembly to show what is there.
Well, there goes the idea of trying the old sensor on the new pedal assy. I don’t know why they force you to get the whole assy when the sensor can be removed unless its some sort of calibration quirk. They are not the only OEM that does that
So we did try some of that. Before I cut off the hardwired original sensor, my uncle had swapped it to the new pedal assembly and it made no change. So then I went on the hunt for the pig tail, allowing us to use the new sensor and pedal assembly. That didn't work. I then swapped the new sensor onto the old pedal assembly, and that made no change either. So, we will see what happens tomorrow morning when the tech returns with his spare throttle assembly and puts it on. The tech did explain how the assembly works. There are magnets that rotate when the pedal is depressed. This causes a change in induced resistance which changes the signal voltage being returned to the UCM. Throttle is modulated by the UCM based on that signal. I don't understand why this can't be a physical throttle cable adjusting an arm on the pump itself. That system has worked for over a century, why throw it out now? Not everything has to be electronically controlled. Not long after we got this loader, it was due for a software update under warranty. They sent a different guy do the update. He hooks up laptop, does the update and left. Never tested machine. We went to put it away and none of the loader functions worked. Checked the hydraulic lockout, nope, not activated. Call them back, sure enough, the new update had a flaw and locked out the hydraulics. He had to revert it back to prior program and wait for new update.
Fuses checked? 5 volt or similar reference voltage checked at sensor?
Yes, Fuses were checked and verified good. I did this before we called for a tech to come out. 5 volts (4.8 actually) reference voltage present, black to ground verified, continuity to UCM verified (these were done by the tech that came out). He said he back probed the harness looking for the signal from throttle pedal sensor and it never changed as he moved the pedal. He said it stayed constant 4.8 volts. He said it's not supposed to be higher than 4.3 volts ever, and that the UCM is recognizing that and giving a code for high throttle pedal voltage.
Tech came out this morning. He found something the Tech literature doesn't discuss: new sensor has 6 pins, but only uses 5 where the old sensor used all 6 wires. The unobtainable jumper harness has a 6 pin connector, but only has 5 wires. He went to their w80 on the lot to steal the throttle pedal and jumper harness and noticed right away the jumper harness only had 5 wires. He showed up around 930, connected the jumper harness and our new throttle pedal started working instantly. He doesn't have an answer of why his sweep test didn't show the change in resistance he was expecting, but I don't really care at this point. Loader is back running and the guys are very happy about that. Apparently the jumper harness comes up when you click the superceded part number for the throttle pedal in their system, but he said it isn't indicated as a required part. He also said there are none of the jumper harnesses listed in inventory in the US except for the dealer in Ohio who has already sold their 3 on hand. They sold us the one off their loader so we could get going again.
You'd think with such a new machine parts supply wouldn't be an issue. It seems like everything is just getting harder and harder.