Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland with a 4.108

Loaderlou17 · 2022-11-24 10:37

Hello friends. I have a 1986 New Holland L555 with a Perkins 4.108. I had it running at an idle to build up the batteries and then it just shut down I have been unable to start it ever since. I opened up the injection pump cover to make sure all was good underneath, which it was. Changed all the filters, replaced the primer , which felt good on the first few pumps then seemed to lose the pressure, but still doing the same thing. My next idea is to blow a little air through the line between the tank and primer to insure no clogs and then completely drain the fuel and refill with clean. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1searcyfarms2022-11-24 10:59

    my 4.108 in my volvo has a fuel shutoff solenoid, its possible it went out - also my scat trak had the same engine/pump arrangement and it also used an electric fuel shutoff solenoid - its possible it went bad and its not getting any fuel

  2. #2Loaderlou172022-11-24 11:36

    I don’t think I have an electric fuel shutoff. When I turn the key off it still runs until I push the lever forward to shut down the pump. Am I wrong about that? If so where would I find it. Thanks

  3. #3searcyfarms2022-11-24 11:40

    ok well if you push a lever its mechanical fuel shutoff just depends on the design - have you checked to make sure the lever didnt come loose and the fuel is shutoff ? if its mechanical and its in the open position id say you have some kind of a restriction with the return or possibly filter/line issue, maybe slime or algae in fuel that will clog things up - ive been round and round with this before and its a pain in the backside getting things cleaned out.

  4. #4Delmer2022-11-24 11:47

    The primer only has resistance when it's pumping, when you build up fuel pressure, the diaphragm is held back by fuel and there is no pressure to retract with the priming lever. Try opening a bleeder down the line to see if it spurts fuel, and then the primer will feel like what you're expecting.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2022-11-24 11:59

    The inj pump bleeder is by the name plate on the pump..5/16.. Loosen and pump the h primers till u get fuel and no air.. Loosen ALL THE LINES AT THE INJECTORS.. Crank the engine until fuel squirts out of the loosened lines and tighten.. It should start now..

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-11-24 12:02

    Take off or loosen the line from the tank to the filter to see if it’s clogged.. If u back blow it, THEN drain the fuel, your going to blow the clog all over the inside of the tank.. if there is one..

  7. #7Loaderlou172022-11-25 07:49

    Hi Pump. The tank is full right now. I filled it to see if it was empty, but it only needed about a half a gallon. I don’t think my fuel gauge is accurate. Wouldn’t it be better to blow out the line into the fuel than an empty tank, since I’m gonna drain the tank after that? Thanks

  8. #8thepumpguysc2022-11-25 08:26

    Yes, your right.. most people add 5 gallons and call it good.. I would still pull the line before the filter and see whatcha get.. If it’s a trickle, back blow it.. Once it’s flowing good, drain the tank to solve the problem.. A lot of the tanks have a filter screen on the shut off tap..so once the tank is drained, unscrew the tap..

  9. #9Loaderlou172022-11-25 12:06

    Thanks for all your help guys. I’ll let you know how I make out.

  10. #10Loaderlou172022-11-26 15:59

    Got it running fellas. When I blew back the fuel line it felt like it pushed a big clog out of it. Drained the tank, added fresh fuel, an injector bleed and fired right up. Now to get the fuel gauge to work. Thanks again for all your help

  11. #11thepumpguysc2022-11-26 22:26

    That’s good news.. Did the “plug” come out when you drained the tank.??

  12. #12Loaderlou172022-11-27 07:04

    No. I didn’t have enough room to get under the machine to open the plug. Now that I got it running I can drive it up on ramps and do a complete service. Hopefully it won’t be too hard to get it out. I removed the fuel with an electric pump and it didn’t seem too dirty but stale nonetheless