Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New hydraulic pump dilemma

MapleGrove · 2022-10-05 07:49

My Komatsu PC35 mr-2 pilot pump failed. I pulled out the entire main pump assembly and sent to a hydraulic repair shop to inspect and repair since machine would lose power and oil temp would get very hot prior to it failing. After inspection they concluded that the pump could not be repaired due to wear in housing. Quoted a new pump at $7700. I ended reaching out to Conequip and they located a new oem pump for $6200 delivered so I ordered the pump. The part number for my pump is 708-3s-00512, the pump I received is 708-3s-00961 which references to PC56-7 and PC50mr-2. Upon receiving it the pump looks entirely different, it came with the a/c solenoid which I removed and installed blocking plate since I do not have a/c. The pilot pump is much larger, about 3/4 to 1” longer. All other fitting installed easily and matched up with locations, the pilot pump outlet port is larger than original pump therefore I can’t use the elbow. Contacted conequip and they said the pump is correct and sent me 4 pages of all the types of fitting illustrations so I can measure and figure out what size elbow I need. Here’s my concern, I have two red flags. Part number referencing to different machines than mine and the pilot pump being larger in size and the port size being larger leads me to believe that if I mount this after finding the correct fitting my machine will not operate properly due to the hp required for the pump will be insufficient.

Replies7
  1. #1Vetech632022-10-05 08:15

    ConEquip is a parts broker. I have used them before and had decent luck and they have usually been easy to work with on stuff like this. What happened is they didn't have your pump on hand but found one from someone that told them that pump would work in place of yours. ..........or that pump is a direct replacement with a few modifications. This happens quite often also. Odds are, since it seems you already have this new pump 90% installed, I'm not sure you can return it at this point. Pics of each pump would tell us a lot. How much bigger are we talking here? I'm not too concerned about the visual size difference........the flow rate would be a concern which is what I believe you're asking. A higher GPM pump may increase your flow rate enough that everything may move quicker.......but some of the system hydraulics and electrical may compensate for that somewhat. What other choice is there at this point?

  2. #2MapleGrove2022-10-05 10:57

    I was able to get Conequip to take the pump back. Terraparts who sold them the parts needed to disclose that this is a direct replacement with modifications. The salesman was super helpful but I had to explain that time is money, I paid for a genuine pump that was an oem replacement, not an oem one that requires fittings I need to measure to fit. Not like it was a bargain price and would pay the time it would take to source the fitting. Komatsu dealer reman is $4000, new $6500. Anyone have any experience with a reman pump from Komatsu? Do they offer good performance and service life compared to new?

  3. #3Vetech632022-10-05 12:06

    Post a pic of the pump id tag

  4. #4MapleGrove2022-10-05 18:51

    Top photo is old pump, bottom is new pump.

  5. #5Vetech632022-10-05 19:02

    I'm trying to determine who the manufacturer is.of the old pump. Is there any metal id plate on the pump housing at all?

  6. #6f311fr12022-10-13 15:28

    Lets see a picture of the entire pump.

  7. #7John C.2022-10-13 21:48

    I worked on a reman Komatsu pump on the PC78 last week. The complaint was that the machine had no travel power until an implement function was used and then the travel would speed up and have lots of power. What we found was that the output of the pump was not high enough to actually load up the engine. We reset the output of the pump to specs and so far I've heard no complaints. I've had that complaint many times with local rebuilders but this was the first factory reman that I've been called about.