Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new ingnition switch won’t work

dmason320 · 2018-11-05 20:22

I have john deere 27c it is the same as hitachi 27 u,35u and john deere 35. It can be started with a screw driver, there is nothing left in the lock cylinder. I ordered a hitachi key switch (6 prong) and it was an exact match. installed it and the engine would crank but not start. put the old one on and it starts right up again! is there a safety procedure or issue I'm missing?

Replies11
  1. #1BigWrench552018-11-05 20:52

    Sounds like a faulty switch. If you have a volt meter put one lead on the post that has battery voltage and the other on the acc post of the key switch and while turning the key to the start position see if you have continuity between the two. Or you could leave it wired up and use a test light on the acc post. If you don’t have continuity or if your test light doesn’t light up then your switch is bad.

  2. #2dmason3202018-11-06 20:15

    it has continuity turning the key both ways. I just can't figure out why the engine turns over but won't start. You can actually hear the fuel pump turning on and i pulled the line and it defiinately pumps fuel

  3. #3Ronsii2018-11-06 22:34

    Sounds like the shutoff solenoid is not getting power when you are cranking... assuming it has a solenoid and not a manual kill lever...

  4. #4mg23612018-11-07 05:11

    Double check your wiring to the key switch is correct (see attached).

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-11-07 14:44

    Make sure "15" is still on the same pin. 30 and 50 are obviously still the same.

  6. #6heymccall2018-11-07 14:55

    I've gotta wonder if there aren't different internal configurations for "look alike" switches. I've encountered different pinout configurations on other brands with assemblies that looked identical. Are you sure that you crossed the part number over correctly?

  7. #7CatKC2018-11-07 15:28

    Wouldn't it be MUCH simpler and easy to just use a meter or light and VERIFY the connections. KISS.

  8. #8Vetech632018-11-07 17:09

    We cant be talking sense around here.

  9. #9Inthedirt422018-11-07 23:14

    Had a bad komatsu key switch right out of the box last summer. No continuity between batt and acc posts which controlled the fuel shut off. Crank, no start.

  10. #10mg23612018-11-08 05:07

    The John Deere part number for that switch is 4478870. If your Hitachi part is not the same part number you probably have the wrong switch. JD and Hitachi use many of the same part numbers.

  11. #11dmason3202018-11-15 08:15

    I wired it just like the schematic but I guess it must not be the same part because they are not showing my part number i'll send it back thanks for the help !