So whats the verdict on the redesigned, mid cab komatsu dozers? Is the visibility much improved? Did it effect the balance? Who has one or runs one? I'm guessing they were a success cause they expanded the line from just the 51 to most all of the smaller numbers.
Can't comment on visibility, but was looking at the D51 on Komatsu's site....wasn't aware that they've started pivoting the track frame forward of the rear sprocket much like high-track Cats (except it's an oval track) Are they fully hydrostatic drive? Looks like a pretty good design at first glance.
They've just reviewed the D51 in Earthmovers mag in the UK and it got an impressive write up. Supposidly dozer utophia and D6K beater. Powerfull and good visibility, good access for service etc and fully topcon compatible for laser etc and GPS. CAT beat it in the time race over hear though, the CAT was for sale a good year before the D51 so it has a good head start on it.
The only reason that it got a good write up was CAT must have stopped taking the Editor on trips to Malaga! I was thinking of cancelling my subscription until this issue as it was turning into CAT monthly. Back to the Komatsu I satin one at Hillhead show andthe visibility and layout was fantastic.
THAT kinda comment....................... Hello, Eddiebackblade. Unless you present convincing proof of your statements, comments like yours above do NOTHING to add to the quality of this forum. That is the sort of thing we have come to expect from Dozer 575/D8Bob. Just my 0.02.
Hi Deas, Yes possibly a private Thought on Earthmovers magazine and a comment better reserved for a UK forum. However I respect you for taking me to task on this, and I shall try to round up as many of last years Mags as I can and see if I am wrong. It just seemed to me every month to have a CAT on the cover, or a least a big feature from Malaga inside. I would find it a little sad if one of the very few publications we have in this industry could be swayed with Manufacturer hospitality and lose it's real world opinions. Maybe it's just that CAT have been pushing a lot of developments through lately and want to get them showcased, nothing wrong with that and I enjoy reading it as much as the next guy. Thanks Eddie
Yer welkum. Hi, Eddiebackblade. Yer welkum, M8. I don't subscribe to any magazines so I don't have that sort of thing happening in my world. One of the things that has amused me of late is the number of people who see Cat's move back to oval track with their new diesel-electric D7E as being an admission that the high-sprocket system is a failure. There was a pretty public explanation of the logic behind that decision back around the same that the model was unveiled. Cat claims that they have figured out that the HS design does not give any real benefit unless it also has the floating bogie undercarriage, as with D8 and up. The D7 and down have fixed, non-rockered idlers and bottom rollers and so did not give the full advantages of the bigger models.
general reply Hi too all I find it interesting to me that CAT is going back to a convential drive system . and it being a electrical unit raises questions in my mind such as for yrs or a least when the first high riise drives came out they told the customer there drive system would put 10% more hp. to the ground due to less friction with there new drive system. As for the electrical system for years I considered RG Letouneau a genious maybe he was more than I realized since more manu such as Deere showing interest in these systems with the showing of 2 farm tractors with high powered generators for use powereing Implements thanks thee BIG D
I haven't heard them retract anything, but you must look at the big picture. It would take years to realize that high track production AND maintenance expenses might be questionably justifiable TWENTY years down the road. Cat has customers who keep machines this long routinely and longer, they must listen and make decisions based on long term market experience. I am sure the Cat system DID put 10% more down, but technology has advanced hugely since then - this is an apples to oranges comparison...as is comparing the efficiency of modern electric drive with 40 year old electric drive.:drinkup
general reply Thw above information was of extra special interest to me very good thoughts on the furure I just want to say thanks for the information .and to say the design of the new komatsu to be very interesting and well designed machine thanks the BIG D
Publications and Hospitality Well I think manufacturer hospitality and advertising go hand in hand . How else to get the news out about something new. The Firearms industry here , invites gun writers to try out new firearms and critique them , the same with the Auto Industry, they invite auto enthusiast magazine writers to try out their new products , and write up stories on them. Some manufacturers pursue it more than others, different forms of advertising . I see nothing wrong with it.
So enough about cats...... Hows everyone liking these mid cab Komatsus?
Thanks Ben, So nobody on here has been in a new komatsu??
I sat in a 51 at the dealer but have not operated one. IMHO the visibility was much greater than the standard layout. I'd love to own one of the new -22's but I doubt that it is meant to be.
Third party reviews We use professional operators on our Hands-on articles. Here's the one on the Komatsu D51: http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6466792.html
Equipmenteditor, after I read the entire article twice, I was impressed. According to the article, the design is totally awesome. In fact there is no negative or even neutral language describing the new dozer. Surely there is something that somebody didn't like... or maybe I'm just a pessimist....
We try to report anything that's pro or con, even if it's the operator's personal opinion. The machines are within their first year or so of distribution when we field them, so there may be problems that develop as more hours are put on, of course. I can tell you, though, that this operator (an enthusiastic dozer guy, and the local's top trainer) was impressed.
The dozer design was awarded an International Design Excellence Award. http://www.idsa.org/IDEA_Awards/gallery/2008/award_details.asp?ID=633
i operate a d39 that is all hydrostatic drive it's 1 of thebest setup's i've been on reminds me of the j/d 750 c lgp the only thing i see wrong with them in the fly by wire is when the control on the left gets some time on it it won't work right when you go to backup the lighton the dash will come on and the panel will read call e 03 this is 1 of 2 things either the the controler is worn on the inside and not making connection or the wires have came loseunder the floor either way you have to call a komatsu mech. if it's the lever they change it get the tracks off the ground reprogram the puter and walk it forward and backwards left and right and if everything goes right your good to go if not the mech will get it sooner or later it's happened t ome twice already
Why is that?
Because they keep picking other peoples lottery numbers instead of mine...