Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Machine?

jordann ยท 2013-08-30 06:46

Hi there new here looks like a awsome place to learn! We currently own a Case 85XT with 3900hrs, Have never had one problem!! we have never had to spend any money at all on repairs the thing is built like a tank, good lifting power too, downsides : slow cycle times and rough ride.. looking at upgrading in the next month or two and i have in mind a brand new 2011 New Holland LS220 on wheels * : i love the idea of the super boom and cab interior looks nice (in pictures)? has anyone run this machine any Pros and Cons ? is it quite inside? Case SR220 : seem decent , any problems or pros and cons? we also have a opportunity to buy a Caterpillar 277B tracked (cheap with 800 hrs) what are these like ? how do the tracks and undercarige go ? we work with gravel at times and are working on slopes 60% of the time, also do they ride nice? thanks so much keen to hear from you guys

Replies15
  1. #1bottlefed892013-08-30 09:50

    What type of work do you do with the machine??

  2. #2durallymax2013-08-30 14:01

    L220 cab in my experience was very loud. The super boom offers great visibility and reach but can be a little flimsy/loose after doing a lot of heavy excavating. The cab is large on the NH, however i felt service looked like it wouldn't be any fun. I think the radial boom on the SR would be better for dirt work if thats what you have in mind.

  3. #3jordann2013-08-31 08:09

    we do rock retaining walls with excavators and i use the skid steer to move rock and gravel up behind walls and dig dirt every now and then, and quite a bit of finnishing of, and oh yep and yea a lot more pins i can imagine them wearing down and yea looking at case and the cat now , i think the new holland is out of the picture . thanks

  4. #4clintm2013-08-31 09:50

    don't get rid of your 85xt or you will be sorry. I had the chance to run a brand new newholland had approx. 8 hrs on it. more rattles and noise than my 8000+hr 90XT. they say the case and newhollands are now built in the same plant to bad

  5. #5KSSS2013-08-31 10:11

    The XT/400 series machines were designed when steel was cheap. You will never see anyone build a skid steer that HD again. Its simply is not cost effective. That said, the Alpha series Case machines are way more comfortable to run, but they are not built like an XT. My brother has an SR220, he upgraded from a 430. He has had the EH reflashed several times but likes the machine. The 220 is more powerful than is the 85XT. You would be moving from a vertical to radial lift, although they make the 250 sized machine in both lift designs. I like my TR320, actually enough that I have been getting quotes on trading my 465 in for a SV300. They have been building both machines in the same plant for years. However with the new machines they are a lot closer in design than they used to be. Being an old CASE skid steer guy, that does not make me real happy either, but such is life I guess.

  6. #6jordann2013-08-31 19:19

    yea really thats good to know then thanks and 8000hrs! still running strong ? and KSSS your right the amount of steel in it is crazy but i didnt know that thanks, what you guys think of the 277b cat

  7. #7jordann2013-08-31 19:21

    also buying a new 10 ton yanmar excavator in the next month and would be able to get a good price getting a mustang skid steer they alright machines?

  8. #8durallymax2013-08-31 20:13

    Sounds like most of the stuff you do is landscape work so the MTL undercarraige will hold up fine. The B series cabs are not the nicest especially compared to the size of the CNH cabs you are comparing them to, a C series Cat cab is very nice though.

  9. #9KSSS2013-08-31 20:13

    My personal opinion is I would not consider a 277B for anything and that goes for any other MTL. Mustang/Gehl machines used to be kind of crude, but I have not been around the new ones. They seem to be releasing some new product recently. They don't hold their value real well here but seem to run fine from what I hear.

  10. #10jordann2013-08-31 22:13

    yea pretty much bit of everything but we do move alot of rocks and gravel im just wondering how the undercarige would hold up to a bit of gravel everynow and then, also the cab on the 277 is open can CAT redo the cabs and can they enclose them for you and put ac, radio and all that stuff in them? And yea the new Gehls sure look like a solid machine to

  11. #11Colorado Digger2013-08-31 22:21

    I have not bought a new skid steer since 2008 so I cannot offer much input. I almost pulled the trigger on a Bobcat T870 and E55 this year but held back. I am so lucky I don't have those payment's because my contracts on new work are taking forever to come through. I did have a Yanmar SV100 for about 6 months on a rental purchase. It was a fine machine although I found it slow compared to other brands. Everything worked fine but it walked slow and dug slow, granted it was very smooth. I would think a Gehl/Mustang would work fine for a skiddie. If I ever tire of bobcat it will be Case or Cat. Regards, CD

  12. #12jordann2013-08-31 22:31

    thanks for the info

  13. #13Randy882013-09-01 04:01

    I've run most brands out there at one time or another, I don't like the tracked skid steers, of any brand I've run, everyone around me complains about the high price to keep tracks under them, they all ride rough, especially the cat, that model has a cramped operator cab in my opinion, I absolutely hated running it, all my crew complained too. I've run the super booms for decades now, nothing as new as the one's your looking at. We absolutely love them for what we use them for, not sure landscaping is the thing they excel in though unless your used to running them. After having run them for as many years as I have, I'd never go back to the old style booms though, like your older case machine has, we call them the rigid boom design. I've not run the newer version that bobcat and case run for their lift booms, for some reason they just are not popular in my area as of yet. If I were you I'd keep my old case skid steer and either demo or lease short term several newer machines to find out how they perform, away from the salesman's yard and on your own job site.

  14. #14jordann2013-09-02 04:43

    yea i agree kinda,and yea ok thanks

  15. #15SkidSteers2013-09-20 16:16

    If you are looking for a new Skid Steer Attachment , go to Spartan Equipment. Spartan offers 6 months interest free financing and a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all attachments. Best dealer on the market.