There has been much debate over the success of a CTL with a dozer blade for any serious "light" dozer work. The undercarriages on a CLT also has been debated and I think the consensus is they have a long way to go. With no competition in it's class a new Komatsu D21 lists at about $65,000.00 with OROPS. Consider this: A machine based closely on a CTL Longer tracks Steel undercarriage with provisions for bolt on rubber pads Removeable rear counterweight Reinforced arms to handle dozer work Heavy dozer attachment Hydrostatic drive Keep it simple and rugged Keep it at about 10,000 Lbs to stay under CDL Price it reasonably and sell the hell out of them I feel this is an opportunity for some aggressive company willing to move their ass What do you think?
Wide tracks, 3 point hitch, 6 way blade, and everything else needed. Thats what I would like, the 3 point hitch would allow for multiple uses, including a ripper if needed. I like your idea also.
I stand corrected, 4th valve for 3 Pt. or ripper
I think it's good but we have to have a CDL to drive our F-350 while pulling a bumper hitch trailer and T320 here in MO
In Texas if you are under 26,001# (+or- A # or so)no CDL unless hazmat or a 10,001# trailer. I have a DPS booklet and have had some questions so I spoke with several officers. I think it depends on what mood their in and how hard our Governor emphasizes revenue enhancement! Unfortunately with time regulations will only increase and squeeze the little guy who has to take it. The big operators are in a better position to pass increased costs on.
Ctl ? Okay , what is a CTL ? :beatsme
In my humble opinion, a skid with the VTS(Logering) tracks fits the bill and can do all the work and will save you approx. $20,000. The small dozer is a dinosaur, even with a bucket a skid is a wicked grading machine for residental work. I have a hard time convincing people how much a skid can do.
Compact Track Loader
Ctl ? Thanks Stuvecorp, didn't have the slightest clue what it was. Now what are they good for ? :beatsme
I would make a place in the front of the machine to mount the rear counterweight, after removal. The necessity would depend on the fore and aft weight proportions of the machine, but would be a nice option. The guy that picks up the scrap from the quarry has a New Holland skid steer. The counter weight system on his machine is what I call tractor style. Meaning it has a rail where you place 50 lb. weights side by side, like on the front of a tractor. I think that set up would be nice on this virtual machine and would compliment my first idea very well. Just take the weights off the back and add them to the front.
BINGO Countryboy! Now let's find a company to make some.
How do you haul a 10,000# dozer without a 10,001#+ trailer?
Max weight on axles of trailer 10,000#. Load the tongue as needed to keep the axles less than 10k. As long as the tow vehicle can handle the weight.
I still don't understand why you want a dozer? The usefulness of a 10,000 pound dozer is so limited, what are you doing with it? A skid can show up with a bucket, grapple and forks to grade, load and stack where a dozer is only pushing dirt. Lets use a Case 440 with steel over the tire tracks, fully loaded (cab/air/other options) would likely be about $36,000 and the tracks are about $3,000. You are right at 10,000 pounds, have almost 90 horsepower and a two speed.
My motivation was initially to stay away from the CDL as I will be doing some contract work away from my ranch. As discussed on another post I considered a CTL but was advised against it as it would be a poor performer with a dozer blade. With a CTL the duties would include moving round bales, clearing downed trees with a grapple, hydraulic post hole drilling, with a blade doing some drainage work and clearing some light brush and sapplings among other trees. A CTL would be much more versatile than a dedicated small dozer but I again I have been warned the CTL with dozer blade is worthless in anything but spreading loose soil. There is also the issue with poor undercarriage life. I may need to re-think this issue. Any advice would be appreciated. From what I have been told even a Komatsu d21 will out push and out perform a CTL with a blade. HELP?
Legdoc, as for the cdl you might as well just get it. Some places have special rules for farms but if you start doing contract work for money you are a contractor. If you are moving a skid though, maybe it wouldn't draw to much attention. I have always used a extended lip bucket for grading with a skid so I can't give any advice on the dozer blade attachment. There is a tilt-tach you can add to get the tilt function if you would use it alot. For me the skid is a major piece in our fleet, disclaimer-I will use Case skids only for this example, other brands work but that is what I've worked with. If you are mainly working in dirt and not crossing blacktop or concrete then you could go with a wheeled machine and steel over the tire tracks, it's alot cheaper and the you can get some good production with them. I had a Case 440 with the steel Loegering tracks, the machine had about 84 horse, 2speed, cab/air/heat that would put you real close to the 10,000 pound mark. Another option would be a 450(90xt) or 465(95xt) with the over the tire tracks, they are real workhorses. Maybe try one out for a week, see if you like it because it seems that some people just 'get' skids more than others. Hope that helps.