Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

US Army Caterpillar Deuce

Northart ยท 2008-03-22 03:19

Ist time I seen this in person. Lucked out when they had one in at NC.

Replies37
  1. #1Northart2008-03-22 03:22

    UA Army Deuce Meant to add a link; http://www.cat.com/cda/components/fullArticle?m=38524&x=7&id=90116

  2. #2pwrstroke6john2008-03-22 03:27

    That would be fun to try out

  3. #3[-Agent-]2008-03-22 03:48

    Wonder what they use it for, recovery of stuck tanks and stuff? Any idea?

  4. #4Northart2008-03-22 03:58

    Deuce ? Click on the link I posted.

  5. #5[-Agent-]2008-03-22 04:00

    ^ I did. I bet they could make a bridge for the other stuff to get across. It almost looks like a modified challenger.

  6. #6iron kid2008-03-22 10:20

    looks like the bison that deere making

  7. #7bobcat ron2008-03-22 10:38

    I like the flip down ripper teeth, they dig in when going back wards and slide on the ground as you push forward, very neat.

  8. #8Construct'O2008-03-22 11:03

    Ron i agree i like the backup ripper system.You see them on dozer around the oilfield the most it seems. They would work good for my operation since i would only be using them for ripping hard dirt during the dry time,it that ever get here:beatsme.:usa

  9. #9YoungOne2008-03-22 12:12

    We have one of these at my unit. Fort Pickett. Blackstone virginia.DPW ( Departmen of Public Works ). We dont use it very often, and i havent had a chance to get a try at it. But i have seen it pull a few stuck tanks out. And travel from one end of the base to the other. In my opinion. Time for my unit to send it elsewhere. -Michael-

  10. #10Tigerotor77W2008-03-22 12:45

    It is more or less a Challenger modified for the military. Indeed -- perhaps the Bison wasn't aimed squarely at contractors (some of whom are obviously lamenting its merits), but also at the military. The Deuce is getting long in the tooth, and even though the military has a habit of running machines into the ground, it's due for a freshening. Looks like they may have their answer.

  11. #11alco2008-03-22 15:01

    I brought that idea up a while ago and was told by some on here that no, it's not even close to the same. While they were right about the design, nobody says it has to be exactly the same to be aimed at the same job. I'm going to be watching to see if anything comes of it. Brian

  12. #12d6peg2008-03-22 17:39

    Looks like Cat has gone to a new high track design. LOL As far as the back-up rippers they are nice but they are also hard on the undercarriage.

  13. #13Dirt Dogg2008-03-23 00:08

    back up rippers Construct'O I wanted to put backup rippers on my 6R but thought they would hold wet material and block what little view you get of the cutting edge. Just my opinion:beatsme http://www.vailproducts.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/t2.asp?docid=643&DocName=CAT D6H, D6R, D6M

  14. #14d6peg2008-03-23 00:28

    Our D5h has back up rippers on them and I havent noticed any blockage of view, also we have not had any trouble with wet material lodging. The only thing with putting them on the 6R is that when you back up with them they might pull dirt up on the blade support, blocking your view.

  15. #15Dirt Dogg2008-03-23 00:49

    d6peg have you noticed any accelareted pin wear? u/c wear is usually worse backing up, now your applying load in reverse. just wondering???

  16. #16alco2008-03-23 01:06

    I know it's not the same thing, but a place I used to work ran all of our pushcats with the ripper shanks backwards. The idea was that the cat would rip in reverse on the return trip to pickup another buggy. I'm pretty sure I heard it from every possible angle how we would take out transmissions, chew up undercarriage and so on. But in all honesty, in the three years I was there, we never lost or had any problems with a tranny on a pushcat, and we didn't find them to wear out undercarriage any faster either. All in all, it worked very well, save a lot of time, and never gave us any issues. Brian

  17. #17d6peg2008-03-23 01:46

    Dirt Dogg, I really couldnt tell you if we have had any accelerated pin wear because I dont have anything to compare the d5 with other than a D6R and that would be comparing apples and oranges. I do know that when ripping in reverse that the u/c makes alot more noise than when not ripping. I have noticed when ripping in reverse it is very hard to keep the tracks from spinning. My belief has always been that dozers were designed to work going forward and rest going backwards, that is why I dont backdrag, if it was designed to work in reverse I am sure Cat would have put a blade on the rear of the machine. Just my .02

  18. #18thebobcatkid862008-03-23 19:21

    I have a book on the history of Cat that has a few pics of one in it. I always wanted to try one. Ive tried to keep my eyes open for one at surplus auctions and such but so far no luck. I dont know much about dozers. I wonder would one make a good actual work machine or would it be more of a novelty. In all seriousness I dont know what Id do with one, I guess Id have to go into the dozer sub-work biz. But it would be badass none the less. Am I right that I heard that these were built to be air-dropped for remote runway construction?

  19. #19Northart2008-03-24 02:11

    Deuce Application ? The Deuce was built for Military purposes. Combat Engineers type work. Building revements for artillery. Repairing bomb damaged roads, airports. Cleaning up urban warfare scenes for troops. The need for fast mobility from scene to scene, over all types of terrain. Yes, its built to kneel so it can be loaded in a Herk C130. It was introduced in 1999, so it's not ready for surplus yet. Far as civilian application, somebody might find a limited use, I'm sure.

  20. #20Tigerotor77W2008-03-24 13:02

    Oh! I was way mistaken. I was thinking that this was a design from the 80s.

  21. #21RollOver Pete2008-03-24 14:24

    The first thing I thought of was EIMCO

  22. #22Northart2008-03-24 17:25

    Deuce Developement ? Hello Tigerotor77W, Here's a better link, to history of the Deuce. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/1999/04/990400-klein.htm

  23. #23Tigerotor77W2008-03-24 19:35

    Thanks for the link!

  24. #24sheepfoot2008-03-29 18:04

    deuce dozer I would like to comment on this machine, it does work well and is fast, years ago late 1980's case had the T5 echo dozer that was built for the marine corps, this dozer mc1150e had the loader engine from the 1155e, cab,bradon winch,along with a inside c frame,power angle tilt, there was around 300+ built and shiped all around. nc had at least 100, ca had around 100, the rest on floats, crisp storage, they also could be flown by chopper/ plane, used to build roads/gun placements, fox hole ditches , and winching needs, they were slow compared to the new deuce and had to be hauled due to the nato deployment speeds, but were great machines many still in use, some are being sold to the surplus and to public sector. This is the same with the early 580's the m/c had, replaced by the unimog with the smith loader,case 580e style backhoe, dirt/rock bucket, auger,full stanley hyd tool package, fast road speeds, and whats next!!!!!!!!!! ride control will allow backhoe's and loader's to travel at the new road speeds, would be nice to drive your machine at 55 mph, boss will have to provide the windsheild now.

  25. #25D6c10K2010-07-04 12:08

    You can get one of your own now.....barely broken in. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3438577&convertTo=USD http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3438653&convertTo=USD

  26. #26alco2010-07-04 16:00

    Man, if they didn't require an EUC, I'd bid on them just because....damn.

  27. #27245dlc2010-07-04 17:26

    Yeah that would be a handy machine for doing trim work and even pulling discs and sheepsfoot packers, and maybe even smaller sized scrapers. You wouldn't need a lowbed for short distance moves across pavement. John Deere has something similar with an articulated chassis that's suppose to be for "high speed dozer grading" http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/high_speed_dozer/764hsd_features.html I've seen farmers put 6-way dozer blades on Challengers before and use them for light dozing work and snow plowing kinda like these ones. http://www.degelman.com/index.php?p=7900 Series It would be nice if they could make an excavator with a DEUCE undercarriage, it would be nice to combine the flotation of a track machine with the mobility of a wheeled machine. Any way pretty cool dozer any way you look at it.

  28. #28ontrac2010-07-04 23:54

    I going to bid, I have a euc on file and wish I had seen this before I bought my 850k although that cat 3126 is a junk engine.

  29. #29upnover2010-07-05 20:46

    I cant believe the prices the US government paid for this and some of the other equipment they have on the auction block. I guess being a vendor to the government could be a lucrative business. Interesting to know what it will go for.

  30. #30mr.412010-07-07 15:45

    That machine is really neat.

  31. #31kmfcap2010-07-14 00:28

    These are $ 85000 (not $362000...that's for 4 of them) machines when new and apparently won't start....buyer beware.

  32. #32alco2010-07-22 12:31

    I'm sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. It doesn't help that your math doesn't add up either. Does anyone know how much they ended up going for?

  33. #33D6c10K2010-07-23 20:32

    Looked a few days ago and G/L had pulled the auctions....they do that sometimes...either they decided not to sell or another agency wanted them.

  34. #34kmfcap2010-07-27 23:47

    When they were up you could click on the NSN number and see the prices paid by the gvmnt......They ranged from 84G and change to 89G and change. Hope they come back.

  35. #35alco2010-07-28 02:14

    If you look at the value of the contracts they were bought under, then figure a cost per machine bought on each contract, it is a whole lot higher than the price you are quoting.

  36. #36danregan2010-08-02 16:53

    heres some pics of i saw in Baghdad in 08.

  37. #37245dlc2010-08-02 17:08

    Hope they've got some good a/c in those things, and visibility has gotta be pretty challenging but at least the operator has some protection. I remember hearing about the Canadian's in Afghanistan losing a few operators because they were accidentally digging up uxo's, mines, and ied's.