Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Machine Imminent

thirdcoaster · 2020-12-14 18:38

I am looking to purchase a mini-ex before year-end. I currently own a Gehl compact track loader that is a 2006 Takeuchi TL120 under the yellow paint and it has served me well, so Takeuchi has a good reputation with me. Our ranch has a couple of Bobcat skids that have worked out well too. All of these machines have cab with a/c and heat. The current short list is a low-hour (500) used Takeuchi TB235-2 Enclosed Cab, a new Bobcat E32 Open cab and new Bobcat E42 Open cab. Any of these machines would do the work that I have planned. I will use the machine on my rental properties, and on our ranch. Currently, I need to rebuild the seawall bulkhead on my home property. Bobcat has some crazy rebates good through year-end, making them really competitive with the used Tak, (but no enclosed cabs), so price doesn't have to be the deciding factor. I'm looking for long-term value...I rarely sell anything. Both the Tak Tb235-2 and the E32 have sub-25HP engines, thus no exhaust after-treatment. The E42 has some sort of DPF-like after-treatment, that according to the few people I have talked to, seems to be reliable. Having been bitten by DPF equipped trucks, I just don't trust them. My big question: is the emissions system a reason to avoid the E42? I know forum guys like to make purchase decisions, so which would you choose?

Replies9
  1. #1KSSS2020-12-14 21:48

    I believe the BC runs a DOC (diesel Oxidizing Catalyst). Not much different than the CAT on your car. Much better than a DPF, no doubt about that. The BC42 is a pretty decent machine. I run them in comparison to other machines. However I wouldn't give up a cab in order to own one. The Taki is solid, run forever and you get a cab, pretty hard to not take that deal for equal money.

  2. #2thirdcoaster2020-12-15 21:15

    Update: The deal on the Tak got a little sweeter this afternoon. It will come with a Tag coupler and (3) Tag buckets; 12, 18, and 24”. I have until Thursday to decide on this one. Oh, and the price dropped by a grand too! The Bobcat dealer brought in a cab model E42, so I plan to go look at it tomorrow. It looks like that machine would cost about $8000 more than the Tak.

  3. #3Don.S2020-12-15 21:18

    I would never own a open cab excavator. My boss wont fix the ac in my machine so i have to run it with all the windows open and its just too hot and way to dusty and when it rains it is too wet. When i do delicate work i want to be thinking about the work i am doing and not about my bits stuck to my leg. I also can not stand dust. You can not escape it since the machine is not moving.

  4. #4skyking12020-12-22 19:05

    I'm with Don, no cab is a deal-breaker

  5. #5OTG AuGres2020-12-22 21:32

    Cabs are sweet. Just upgraded my BC E42 to E50, but the e42 is a great machine. I just needed a little more capacity. E42 is very capable.

  6. #6thirdcoaster2020-12-24 17:52

    Picked up the Takeuchi. It actually has 432 hours, rather than the estimated 500 the salesman had quoted me. Nice clean machine.

  7. #7skyking12020-12-24 17:54

    looks like a beaut!

  8. #8Bls repair2020-12-24 18:17

    Good luck with it.

  9. #9OTG AuGres2020-12-25 07:50

    Nice looking machine!