Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member: Case 850c Dozer brake parts

AndyRoss · 2020-11-21 18:55

New to the forum...my left and right brake housings are leaking from the front side where the actuator lever is connected to the shaft coming out. The shaft goes into housing and has a snap ring and 2 o-rings. I’m having trouble finding parts online. I may replace the housing cover gaskets while I’m under there. Any help would be appreciated

Replies18
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-11-22 08:24

    The o-rings are standard so you should be able to pick them up at a local parts store. Or just get you an o-ring kit from TSC or Harbor Freight. The gasket behind the brake housing where it bolts to the transmission cover is shimmed for pinion gear setting so be careful of loosing or changing any of them, usually a good sealer will do the trick there.

  2. #2AndyRoss2020-11-22 13:16

    Thank you

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-11-22 15:38

    Welcome to HEF, Andy !

  4. #4alrman2020-11-22 16:44

    Here's a link to the CNHI parts website that lists the numbers required if you wish to purchase genuine parts from a dealer. (which aren't over the top in $$) TIP - when you remove the shafts for the pivot arms, to replace the leaking orings, they have a fine tooth spline that engages the inner pivot links. It's important to note the position of the outer pivot arm when you remove them, to ensure you have the correct position/adjustment to operate the brakes when you refit the shaft & outer pivot arm. You could mark alignment positions on shaft & outer arm - but that only works if you refit the shafts to the inner pivot in exactly the same location (which you cannot mark before disassembly)

  5. #5AndyRoss2020-11-22 18:14

    That’s a perfect shot of what I’m dealing with. I thought about marking the outer arm, my worry was if the inner pivot would stay in the position it needs to be put back in or if it would fall? I’ve never been inside the brake housing. I’ve run equipment all my life but this is my first dozer I use on the farm. My only other issue with the dozer is the right brake pedal goes to the floor. It feels like the linkage is disconnected or broken, no resistance whatsoever. It all seems to be hooked up, but the lever on the right brake housing isn’t moved when brake is pressed. I’m thinking the master cylinder shaft is the issue. Maybe it came loose or something. The master cylinder was bone dry too.

  6. #6AndyRoss2020-11-22 18:15

    It’s all still in the machine so it’s gonna be a nightmare to get to I’d imagine. I hope I can get to the rear snap ring. I’m looking at the picture above, what is the section in between the two brake housings called where the driveshaft yoke is?

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-11-22 22:05

    That is your high/low range housing.

  8. #8AndyRoss2020-11-22 22:24

    Gotcha

  9. #9AndyRoss2020-11-23 20:38

    When I take the cover off the brake housing, if I put all these studs in place of bolts, can I just replace the cover gasket and o-rings? Or will I have to remove everything and replace the back gasket too?

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2020-11-23 21:32

    If the center housing doesn't come loose I think you should be able to just replace the outer gasket.

  11. #11alrman2020-11-23 22:31

    But, Murphy's Law says the centre housing WILL come loose & cause future oil leaks...... I would get & replace all 4 gaskets..... but that's just me.

  12. #12AndyRoss2020-12-07 23:15

    Now I’m losing brake fluid and I don’t see any leaks. New master and slave cylinders. Could it be leaking inside the brake valve assembly

  13. #13alrman2020-12-08 01:01

    Absolutely! You can just remove the actuating cylinders from the front of the transmission control valve to reseal them. There is a quadring (#22) on the piston (#21) and a steel backed lip seal (#20) The smaller lip seal (#14) seals transmission oil on the pushrod (#11) don't worry about replacing these as you need to remove the cover (#12) to do so - it's nothing to do with controlling brake fluid.

  14. #14AndyRoss2020-12-08 06:24

    Any leads on where to get a kit?

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2020-12-08 06:27

    I believe you’ll have to get them individually at dealer. You could try Brokentractor.com they may have them. Or Conequip parts.com

  16. #16AndyRoss2021-01-16 15:37

    I have a rear C frame pin or bushing that’s bad. It has a pin with a partial groove and a bolt and washer to hold the pin in place. All I’m seeing online is bolt on brackets to the main frame that the C frame slides into, then the pin holds together. Mine is factory welded. The only way I can see the pin would come out is to cut it? Any info out there. This pic is looking under machine behind the idler toward frame

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2021-01-16 21:40

    The bracket that is shown with the C frame is actually a weld on part. Notice there is not a reference number associated with it. Now if your talking about item #14 with maybe n frame that is the tow hook that bolts to the frame under the rad. housing.

  18. #18dozer7772021-02-18 16:43

    mon chum a acheter 2 bulldozer 850c 1994 et l/autre pour les pieces l/ann passe sont cntrat est fini il vends les deux je te donne son phone arrange toi avec le reste c/est pas mes affaires