Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Member – Cummins Development

Merp ยท 2011-06-02 19:35

Hi all, I work for Cummins High Horse Power as a mechanical development engineer. Most of my work is on the QSK45/60/78 products. I'm based in Daventry, UK where we also produce the KV38/50 and the larger 91litre natural gas engines. I've already read a few posts about our products, and also the applications we sell into! I'm interested in reading peoples thoughts on our products, as I generally only hear through the service groups. Luke

Replies10
  1. #1mitch5042011-06-03 00:05

    Welcome to the Forum, Merp. Sounds like you could be a real valuable forum member. I, and others, are always wondering why y'all do/don't do things. Look forward to conversing with you. I know you probly can't say much about current projects, but, I would be interested to learn more about the process of designing things that are already out there.

  2. #2Merp2011-06-03 07:10

    Yeah you are right; I can't say alot about our new /future products. But I can answer questions people have! I'm interested really in the comparison of our products to Cat/MTU

  3. #3hotdogsL5532011-06-12 22:10

    Hello All: I am new here but I an glad I found this site. I operated heavy equipment for the SCANG. I sure do miss it. Thanks, Hotdog

  4. #4HEQRCJ2012-04-15 02:33

    Hi all, is the first time I write. I work with 10 HD1500 trucks with QSK45. We have had very bad experience with these trucks, all of them failed before 10,000 hours (Min: 6K, Max: 9.9K). It was supposed to reach 15K - 18K. Is there any other possibilty of engines for these trucks? We are really upset. Thanks, RC

  5. #5RandyT2012-06-04 01:29

    I believe there is history of problems with the QSK45 engine; I believe it will be covered under Cummins warranty if the owner entered into agreement with Cummins to supply regular oil samples, or something along those lines. Life should be around 10000-14000hrs

  6. #6wolfgrrl2012-06-05 13:19

    Welcome aboard!

  7. #7John C.2012-06-05 21:19

    So is the QSK series engines built from Komatsu base engines? I know Cummins and Komatsu have been in bed together for years.

  8. #8Merp2012-06-22 11:23

    The QSK series engines are built by Cummins for many markets not just Komatsu. There is an Industrial Power Alliance between Cummins and Komatsu that has been together for years. The engine design is owned by Cummins but for some components the IPA/Komatsu have input.

  9. #9Nige2012-06-22 13:06

    I might tap you up from time to time for technical information and advice regarding maintenance practices for the QSK60-C engines we have installed in our Hitachi EX3600 excavators if you don't mind.

  10. #10John C.2012-06-23 12:21

    I seem to recall just as I was leaving the Komatsu dealer years ago that the QS series Cummins engines were actually Komatsu SD140 models engines with the Cummins electronic system installed. I remember reading an article on the process in one of the trade magazines.