Hey guys. Nice forum you have here! A bunch of my google searching has led me here to many threads about the case 580 series. I have learned a lot in the last week so far about backhoes, especially the case 580. Never owned a piece of heavy equip. I bought a let go home about a year ago and the property needs a crap ton of landscaping and such done. Its about 5 acres. I want/need a backhoe for my numerous projects and just lifting heavy stuff, snow removal, etc. I guess I'm mainly just introducing myself. I have about 11k now I can spend, but maybe another month and I can add another 1000 to my budget. I really dont want to spend more than 12K. I think thats my max. I realize that I'll prob have to put money into whatever I buy, and hopefully I purchase something that wont end up in thousands of dollars in repairs. I've kinda narrowed down to a Case 580E Or a 580K phase 1. Seems the phase 1 of the K series is a bit simpler, and therefore lest costly and easier to repair. With that said, I do Have my eye on a Cat 416c at a auction I'm gonna go to next week. I started the machine and used some of the hydraulics a bit and seems to run good. Who knows, maybe it wont get bit past my budget. I might go back and see if I can drive it and test the 4x4 and such. I really am trying to find a backhoe with 4x4 and extendahoe. Ive been looking quite a bit and some that I'm finding are a few hundred miles away. Anyone know what a average cost to get one of these things shipped would be? A price per mile would be nice to have in mind. I hate putting a bid out on uship.com when I'm just wondering and not serious... Thanks guys. I'll be here reading more, and def have some more questions in the future... -Tyler..
Welcome Outdoort,good luck on your 580 search,I have a K series’s 3,works really well for me, easy to work on with all the great people on this forum.Sorry can’t help with shipping,I’m sure you’ll get some help with prices soon.
I paid $400 to move my Cat 426 50 miles. It was a local contractor who my brother knows. Not sure if I got ripped off or a deal but I did not think this was unreasonable. You have to remember that you are paying double the miles. The truck has to go there and back. You pay total miles not just miles moved. I have a Cat 426, from 1988 or 1989. It mechanically was sound when I bought her except for one boom piston that was dented. Beyond that I could have put her right to work. I am not one to use something without a full and thorough inspection. I also like everything to work and I hate fixing stuff that breaks. I rather fix it before it breaks. I think in your budget you will be hard pressed to find a machine that is not in need of some TLC and maintenance/light repairs. I wanted 4WD and that alone made the price jump into a different level. I would seriously consider buying a machine pre-electronic. The newer machines have too much going on for the average home mechanic. You need special tools to access the systems. I can say for Cat that parts are readily available. I am amazed at how my local dealer can get everything I order in a couple days at most. This forum seems to be mostly Case questions. Not sure if that is because Case machines break more, are more common or are cheaper so more home operators buy them. Just an observation. They seem to be good machines based on a friend who owns a paving/excavating company.
I paid $250 to have mine moved about 25-30 miles. Wasn’t cheap but I had no other option. If it were me, I would try to save a bit more funds and buy something in the upper 10’s. I’m not saying you are going to find something brand new, but it will be newer, have less hours, and have a higher resale if you need to sell down the road. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck on your budget in this market there is no used machines for sale here at a valued price I just bought another 416 c from Pennsylvania and am having it shipped here not really a smoking deal but still ahead of current area prices and I paid in the high 20s for it If you want something that will be halfway reliable your going to in it for 20 grand minimum otherwise get out your wrenches Cases are popular because the 580 is the single longest running production of a backhoe in the world they have been made since the 60s no other manufacturer has produced continuous for that length of time deere started in the 70s cat in the 80s case beat out ford international and Massey Ferguson all of witch made backhoes but went under and were bought out
I agree 100%. When I bought my machine almost 2 years ago I was finding junk for 15-20k and luckily found one local with low hours. Good machines are hard to find nowadays.
Welcome to HEF, Outdoort ! Although you want to get started on that property next week, Take you time looking for that 580K. But don't overlook any other machine that will fulfill your needs. 580'S come up for sale all the time.
Thanks guys! From what Ive been reading here, it doesnt seem like there are many dick measuring types here lol. I appreciate that. I totally get the recommendations on my budget being a little low, but maybe I buy and trade up in a year or two if I need to do so... I dont want to finance a machine so it is what it is ya know? The good thing is, I own a welding shop (that kinda went out of business when covid hit), but I have a nice shop where I could def do any welding/machining. But if any of you guys are anything like me, I'm trying to avoid the "projects" with this backhoe as I seem to have a problem starting big projects and taking forever to finish them or never finishing them.
I am known to start but never finish a project. I lose interest and move on. I have been trying not to do that the last 20 years or so. I set budget of $20,000 for a machine. I really wanted 4WD because of how hilly, wet and rough my land is. At the time I looked $25k was about what a machine in serviceable condition, 100% working was going for, regardless of brand. In 2019 when I started looking pre 1980 was going for $10k and under depending on how rough the machine was. 1980-early 90s was going for about $25k, Anything mid 90s and up started at $30-35k and went from there. I wanted to stay pre DEF and electronics. I deal with the latest greatest auto tech in my day job. I want simple for a home machine. If you have a welding shop you can find yourself a machine that runs, moves, works but needs some repairs in your budget. Replacing rusted floors, and repacking cylinders and replacing hoses is not hard.
I think you can find a machine in that price range that turns on and pushes and lifts. If you own a welding shop you obviously have some type of mechanical capability. Just get one that turns on and start working it and fix things as they become unworkable. It doesn't have to be a big expensive restoration project.
watch auctions or buy on that needs simple repairs. I bought a 580E with a bad shuttle and fixed it. Love the machine . Had a allis 816 for 10 years before that. I bought that one off of cragislist. There are alot of parts for the 580E out threr
A quick perusal of Craigslist in your general geographic area yielded the following links. Looks like there are some good options but the cooler 4x4 ones are closer to 20k. Facebook marketplace and the machinery trader or iron planet etc may be better. I found my most recent machine on Facebook marketplace https://youngstown.craigslist.org/hvo/d/lake-milton-ford-555d-mechanics-special/7314259402.html https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/avella-case-580e-backhoe/7294854797.html https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/ruffs-dale-backhoe-case-480f/7297851742.html https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/hvo/d/glen-burnie-580-extendahoe-backhoe/7316331738.html https://baltimore.craigslist.org/hvo/d/baltimore-tractor-loader-backhoe/7313860236.html https://baltimore.craigslist.org/hvo/d/elmhurst-1996-jd-410d-loader-backhoe/7308856238.html
I went to look at this ford 750 today that a buddy conected me with the seller on. My first impression showing up to look at this thing was "this is a f'in rust bucket lol" but Idk it was mostly the cab and floor, control mounting points, etc. I don't mind some work, just trying to avoid the never ending projects. The guy told me he wanted 5k, but hes pretty flexable. I think he realizes its rough, and due to the situation he is in, he needs it gone (i'm not going to bother explaining his situation, but I have a advantage there. Basically the township and neighbors are complaining about it). I'm gonna post some photos of the machine. Its hard to tell obviously details from photos but my main points I saw this afternoon were: 1. Tires are worn. Prob usable. The rears are holding air, but def more worn that other machines Ive been looking at, so near future need new tires. 2. Almost all the hydraulic lines are dry cracked. Maybe thats not too much of a big deal immediately?? I'm thinking replacement almost right off the bat in neccessary. 3. 4000k hrs on clock. 4. Guy said his dad bought it brand new, and has been in his family all along. His dad owned construction business. 5. Rust is everywhere, but the heavy, main parts like the frame and hydraulics are solid. Its just the thin sheet metal parts in the cab that are bad. 6. Motor looks like a normal diesel, not any visible wet leaks, just some caked grit/grime. 7. The guy may have two additional backhoe buckets that he will include in the sale, he has to check, but that would def make the value go up. Couldnt get it to start today as the battery was a bit weak, but I'm gonna show up tomorrow with a couple big batteries and see what I can make happen. If I can get it fired up, and run the thing and the main things work, maybe I'll offer him a couple grand. Please tell me what you guys think... Thanks.
https://www.dgs.pa.gov/Surplus/State/Documents/PDOT HE Flyer 2019.pdf most states have sites like this
Photos
More photos
More phots
Anyone know where the lifter pump is for me to prime this thing. Want to make sure the injection pump is getting fuel... when I turn it over tomorrow Oh and this ford is turbo too which is kinda cool.
If it starts, rolls, pushes, lifts, steers and stops you may have a winner. The price sounds right. 4x4 is personally very important to me but my terrain may be different from yours (mountains of Costa Rica)
follow the fuel lines to find lift pump, looks good, don't mind the scratches, and paint, they don't help with digging, don't need lights to working, just don't get in mind to to restore it complety, get it where moves dirt and use and have fun GOOG LUCK
Alternately, put up a want ad on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace saying that you are looking for a backhoe for x price cash in hand. That's a good way to get crazy deals I've found. Lots of nonsense to sift through (like, did you even read the ad to see what I was looking for??), but also get that crazy deal that's the one. I've gotten land and machines this way.
Something like a 580 is great to have around the homestead but you may also consider a mini excavator and compact track/skid loader. They are easy to move around and can work in tighter places and can be kept in a smaller shed.