I'm in the process of changing out the king pins on the left side with the bushings, seals ect. due to lots of play in the front wheels and a leak between the planetary and axle. I pulled the planetary and the axle out together and laid it out on the bench and noticed the axle was able to disconnect from the planetary without removing the snap ring... I think I just opened a can of worms! The thrust washers and snap ring were bent right out and the groove for the snap ring in the axle teeth are badly worn. There is pitting and grooves in both sections of the axle, where they run against the bushings... In the service manual it says to inspect the thrust washer in the bore because it is held in place with adhesive. I don't see any signs of adhesive. I'm really in over my head and don't have anyone to ask for direction/advise... Is this really shot? Should I get a new axle or just put it back together with a few new parts? Also, what do I glue the thrust washer to? The axle teeth?
The wear marks at the seal area on the short axle look normal. They do get quite grooved/hollowed out over time. Polish it as best you can with fine emery tape it will be fine. I've never seen or used adhesive to hold the thrust washers (never read the manual for an M either..... ) Never seen any as bent up as that before either. They are supposed to go behind the circlip - is that how they were? I always use the genuine CNH/Carraro seals on these axles as they are heavy duty & include the felt wipers in the seals - which seem to be unable to be sourced aftermarket.
I think that's how they were. They were flopping around in the planetary when I opened it. I didn't see any other damage in there. I attached the page from the service manual where it says to glue the thrust washer. The only thing I could think to glue is the thrust "plate" maybe?
I've seen some do this before snap ring bends and they come loose, clean it up and put it back together what Alrman said. There is no adhesive used on washers they are held in with snap ring. Use genuine parts!
Thanks for the replies! I have the parts ordered from the Case dealer. Luckily, the snap ring and thrust washers seem to come in sets of two so I can use them when I get the other side done. Everything on the front axle has been pretty bad so I've been rebuilding it. Tie rods, ball joints, king pins, bushings, seals... I was going to do the u-joints but they seem good and they're $150/ea and there's 2 per side. If I can't get rid of all the play in the front end I'll go back and change them out
I believe I found my universals on eBay much much cheaper than that...by crossing the oem number the an aftermarket one.
Be careful! There are universals out there that will fit the cv joints at $20 each, but they are not as heavy duty as the CNH/Carraro ones - & brand new they will click when turning under load. I have fitted some JD versions in the past that fit, not cost as much & work well.