Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member in Iowa

Gavin L · 2024-09-13 00:18

I just found this page so please forgive me for this being my third post… Greetings to all!! Here’s a little bit about me: I love old machines, to hear them run and operate after years of setting, I just can’t help it! So far I got a 1951 (I think) Cat 112 grader and a 1993 Cat 312 excavator (that was the first post I made) and both was parked for years. My dad has a 1966 Cat D7E that was painted army green also with tags from the army. He love to push up terraces with it and any other dirt work. I was searching questions online and came about this site and it has already help!!! Thanks a’ll!!!!

Replies15
  1. #1mg23612024-09-13 05:03

    Welcome to HEF Gavin !

  2. #2Coaldust2024-09-13 12:11

    Welcome. Hello. Good to have you. We are a practically neighbors. I’m part owner of an 80 acre soy bean field in Shelby. Not too far away. My peeps are 6 feet under in the Shelby cemetery. Just down East Street from the I-80 Loves Truck Stop. They sell the best beef jerky. Looks like a good place to settle down. Nice folks in Iowa. Build a 3/2, find a Cairn Terrier and watch the soybeans grow. Raise a little family and a few chickens to eat the soybeans that don’t make it to the Cenex. I didn’t even know I was a soybean farmer until this lawyer gal from Council Bluffs hunted me down. My G, G’ Maw passed 30 years ago and farm is still in probate. The county wants to run a sewer line across my corner. They apparently want my permission. I said, until soybeans get harvested, you’re not.

  3. #3Gavin L2024-09-13 19:30

    I’ve lived here all my life, out on the country, never would I want to live in town( not to offend anyone)!! I’ve got German shepherds and a flock of chickens but could never butcher any, they become pets more than fried chicken. Lol

  4. #4Coaldust2024-09-13 20:24

    Good country living. That’s What I’m talking about. How about those chubby, corn-fed Iowa girls? You have one of those in the kitchen? If not, you should find one. Those Iowa gurls can sure fix up some good samwhiches. How about rabbits? You have any rabbits? I run a huge rabbit operation. But, I don’t feed them corn or soybeans. Grass-fed fatties, is what they are.

  5. #5Gavin L2024-09-13 22:14

    No don’t have rabbits. Love to see chicks run around though!!! Bet I had you fooled, that chick is napping! Lol!!!

  6. #6Coaldust2024-09-13 22:17

    I could use a couple good layers. Almost finished building my backyard coup. What’s your favorite breed of layer?

  7. #7Gavin L2024-09-14 00:16

    Barred Rocks and blue and alusian have lived the longest in our flock and most of them are still laying at 5 years old. They are free range, they flew the coop and are a lot happier so we just let them go about the property and they still come back at night in their coop.

  8. #8crane operator2024-09-14 08:55

    Who the heck is running the show, with a farm in probate for 30 years? I don't know how much of a percentage you own, but where I grew up, ground ranges from 10-15,000+ per acre, depending on who wants it and where exactly it is. So lets get the lawyers out of the way and sucking the value out of the land, and maybe we can have a party for coaldust celebrating becoming a land baron? Sometimes, the trustee is taking a fat salary every year, for "managing" the trust/ farm, and having a ball on your dime. Even worse if the lawyer is doing the same thing.

  9. #9funwithfuel2024-09-14 10:28

    A very late welcome to the forums.

  10. #10Coaldust2024-09-14 14:37

    lol. That’s awesome. It’s a convoluted legal fiasco. I’m not certain if it will get settled in my lifetime. Last I heard, there was 23 grandchildren involved, but they are aging out and dying off quickly. The neighboring farm is keeping it under cultivation. No formal lease. Just an Iowa country-folk handshake deal.

  11. #11Coaldust2024-09-14 14:47

    Good to know. I’m not very familiar with chickens, yet. There is a very active backyard chicken community where I reside. Do your chickens have large talons?

  12. #12bam19682024-09-15 00:21

    Welcome to HEF Gavin. I'm about 25 miles straight west of you. Actually I have done quite a bit of work just a few miles east of Griswold.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-09-16 01:01

    Gavin, I got a flock of chickens! Hauled them home tonight. .

  14. #14WannaBHighw/Lift2024-11-18 11:55

    Hey fellow Iowanians Thirty years is a long time. I knew a person who was executor of a pretty prominent early millionaires' estate, who owned houses and commercial properties in half a dozen or more cities and states and had an extensive family with ex-wives and step-kids, and a few estranged heirs provided for in the will that needed to be found, two outside of the USA, that were "proudly off the grid". That settlement took just under ten years. A fire in the office where deeds and abstracts of his business properties were stored and destroyed didn't help to expediate matters any either. I would advise to at least inquire as to what the hold-up is. There is a reason somewhere for this being extended this long. Not to be starting anything but how old are other possible heirs?

  15. #15Coaldust2024-11-18 14:33

    No worries. Last time I heard, there were about 37 heirs. The youngest is probably mid 20’s, and the oldest are older Gen-x. There are about 10 that haven’t been located, yet. Typical gigantic Iowa farm family. My Sister is diving into the issue. She is all about FB and is enjoying making connections with all her lost relatives. I might have some sort of update before too long.