Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member intro

NZ Engineer ยท 2014-05-18 05:52

Hi all I live in nelson in New Zealand and Have been viewing this site for some time now sifting through photos and stories both old and new and found them not only entertaining but interesting from a technical aspect. I'm not an operator - hired a digger once and managed to hit the truck twice with getting much done - but I work at a company that converts these machines into forest spec, builds our own felling head and grapples as well as the winch assisted steep slope harvester for ClimbMax equipment. I enjoy the comments and humour so decided to get off the fence and join up! I ain't here to sell, just hoping to learn and perhaps contribute at some point. Cheers Derek

Replies8
  1. #1Mobiltech2014-05-18 09:46

    Welcome aboard. There is a lot of work in engineering a good felling head. I worked for a Cat dealer and I was part of the forestry team for a while. We used to install felling and processing heads on Cat excavators. It was a good experience and doing the installs sure helped with troubleshooting problems later on. Most of the forestry equipment we see here now is purpose built machines rather than modified excavators.

  2. #2Blk prince2014-05-18 10:37

    Welcome NZE, great to hear from another person with knowledge from half way around the world. Enjoy!

  3. #3kiwi450x2014-05-18 20:25

    Good to see another Kiwi signed up. The more, the merrier... LOL I know what you mean about reading this site, there's hours and hours of good info on here. I'll bet you've got plenty of good pics to put up too, of various builds and so on, don't be shy. LOL

  4. #4NZ Engineer2014-05-18 21:36

    yea I have lots of new builds an stuff - where is best place to put it up?

  5. #5Paul L2014-05-18 23:12

    I don't know if you can do this, but you might be able to rename this thread. Then post up here. If you have any "whoops" images I would love to see them. I lived in Nelson for 5 years and know there would be plenty of those images. Who were you working for around 2000ish?

  6. #6NZ Engineer2014-05-18 23:19

    Paul I was building logs forks and general stuff at Erskine Engineering back then.... Most of the interesting pics would be well buried down here... cant let them come to light ha ha

  7. #7willie592014-05-18 23:28

    A New Zealander that knows how to properly spell "ain't", and use it proper in a sentence is good in my book. Welcome to HEF NZ! :drinkup

  8. #8furpo2014-05-30 20:59

    Ha Ha, that is not as hard as finding an American who knows where New Zealand is.