Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member. JD410 questions.

dream · 2024-12-05 14:54

Hi everyone. Just joined up. Bought an older JD410 last week to do some land improvements. Runs really well. Has some issues. I want to find a shop manual for it. If anyone has one i would appreciate it, or a good link to where to go. JDs website is a little confusing. Not sure what year, but its a plain 410, not any of the later ones with letter suffixes. 8 speed.(dual range with park) shuttle shift with clutch. Tractor serial# is 410-D 296489T. Anyone know how to decode the serial #? Need to rebuild the steering cylinders, replace some boom pins, etc. Backhoe serial # is 9410 043109T Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im also looking at YT videos for some help, but knowing a little more about what i actually have will help to narrow things down a bit.

Replies21
  1. #1mg23612024-12-06 05:02

    Welcome to HEF dream ! Tech manual can be purchased here . You will need TM1037.

  2. #2colson042024-12-06 06:36

    Welcome to HEF @dream !

  3. #3Willie B2024-12-06 07:03

    I bought a 410 in the early 2000s, I did have manuals. Mine was low hour, little wear, no abuse. Somethhing wasn't right! it was a leaker & I had a time finding the leak. Those are closed center systems & they run with FULL hydraulic pressure to each valve. A tiny leak will leak a lot! Didn't leak cold, but 1/2 hour in run time, it would warm up & start dripping from the belly of the tractor. I eventually found a 90 degree large hose fitting with a hairline crack. I felt pretty pleased. Mine lost hydraulic power after an hour digging. It proved to be the backhoe control valve was defective from new. Parts for it were unavailable. A whole valve from John Deere cost more than the machine was worth. A hydraulic shop speced a aftermarket valve. Sections were thinner than original. Joystick frame wouldn't mate up. I had to build new. It was out of commision so long I bought another backhoe. I used it as a loader, but by the time I got it fixed, I decided to sell it.

  4. #4dream2024-12-06 08:47

    Thanks for the help and the warm welcomes! Ill be looking for some parts soon, and will be back with questions im sure.

  5. #5dream2024-12-06 10:55

    Oh, and heres a pic or two. Pretty clean, but thats because they apparently NEVER greased it. Yes, i know i need a bigger trailer...

  6. #6Vetech632024-12-06 12:38

    The previous owner must have had arms 10' long to operate that bucket with that come-a-long

  7. #7JL Sargent2024-12-06 14:57

    Welcome to the forum. Have you ever owned a backhoe before? There might be some good Youtube videos that would help with your repair projects. Good luck.

  8. #8dream2024-12-06 17:57

    . I put that on to get it tipped back a little further away from my service bed. Bucket(and everything else) has a "little" slop.

  9. #9dream2024-12-06 18:00

    First time owning one. Have ran them before. Mostly Fords. Have a Gehl CTL60 loader ive had for 10 years. Made by Takeuchi. Been a solid machine so far.

  10. #10mg23612024-12-07 05:53

    Also, I forgot to mention. On that link I posted you can also get a free operator's manual. Just scroll further down on the website to find it. It will be the one labelled OMT66840.

  11. #11HarleyHappy2024-12-08 09:32

    Maybe should have used straps instead of chains, to keep the weight down. Trailer coulda used a break. lol

  12. #12dream2024-12-10 12:59

    So i havent bought the parts manual yet. No excuses, just have other things going on. Im looking for steering cylinder rebuild kits. Im seeing stuff online that says it fits 310,410, etc. OEM part number they reference is AT108329. So much confusing/conflicting info online. Does anyone know if that part number is even for an early 410, or the later variants? Machine is 2wd.

  13. #13Diesel Dave2024-12-10 13:15

    You don’t necessarily need a parts manual. Deere has a very good online parts catalog. See link below to your 410 straight loader/ bhoe parts catalog. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/17406 . . AT108329 shows used on Deere ”C” and “D” series backhoes. For your 410 straight serial # range, RE19219 is the steer cylinder seal kit.

  14. #14dream2024-12-10 18:41

    Thank you sir! Ill get the hang of their website before long.

  15. #15Willie B2024-12-10 20:28

    & understand that virtually every part you might need for a 410 is NLA from Deere. There are some excellent non Deere parts suppliers able to help. For both a 1974 410, and a 1990 410C Deere had nearly nothing to sell me. My 410 needed two sections of a backhoe control valve, NLA. Deere substituted a different valve from a different manufacturer. Its price exceeded the value of the tractor. The 410C, I needed a port relief valve for the boom section of the backhoe valve. JD said NLA. I called every parts supplier I could find. Only used valves were available. Part number for boom port relief is different from several others. In desperation, I demanded to speak to the service manager. I posed the question: "If your best customer needed this part, would you tell him he's out of luck, you can't help?" "Of course not! We'd sell him a rebuild kit, or we'd sell him #401789357619Q, & turn up the pressure setting." Deere owns the industrial machinery dealers. They have no interrest in you with one old tractor. They exist to serve companies buying $2,000,000. a year in new equipment.

  16. #16mg23612024-12-11 04:57

    While I agree, Deere obsoletes parts way too soon, and that really rankles me . At least the RE19219 kit is still available. And for only $53. I see the obsolescence thing as lost income for Deere, and their dealers. While they want to try and force people into newer machines, reality is there is always people who want to keep their older equipment, so why not keep making money selling parts. I'd rather keep making $10 here and there rather than lose it. Plus some of their dealers will pick up more service work because not everyone is capable or has the desire to fix their own equipment. To me, making parts for older equipment is a win-win situation. I'm done venting.

  17. #17Toolslinger2024-12-11 06:26

    It doesn't surprise me when the durable parts are obsoleted. They're not supposed to break or wear, and stocking things like that would be expensive. When they kill off things like seals, or o-rings, it's pretty absurd. I know you can always pull things apart, and measure, but honestly, it wouldn't bother me spending a little more to just buy a parts kit from Deere before I rip it open. I don't have a building to work in, so when I open the hydraulic system, I really want to fix it, and get it back together right then. Waiting days, or weeks while chasing something down is no way to keep it clean... I can't imagine the hell of electronics in a modern machine... One mouse could really ruin your day, and then not being able to buy a replacement board/harness would put me right over the edge... In the 50+ years the JD300 has been in my family, it really hasn't had any major issues. Some odd steering bushing issue back in the 70's is the only thing that shouldn't have failed. The rest is wear, and age issues like rubber, injectors or the odd injection pump rebuild. I'm pretty sure that machine will outlive me. I'm hoping the new to me 310 will be as good once I clean up the last 50 years of abuse.

  18. #18dream2025-01-01 14:43

    HAppy New year! Got a few minutes to tinker today. WAs going to get the steering cylinders loose so i could rebuild them. The pins at the steering knuckles only have a cotter pin retaining them. They spin about a quarter turn, then bind. Will move up about an eight of an inch and stop hard. When i twist them, i can see the cylinder eye trying to twist diagonally to the way im twisting the pins. This tells me they are bent somehow. Not sure if the cylinder eye has a bushing, but the pins are hardenned. It seems like my only solution is to slip a cutoff wheel between the top and bottom of the eye and cut the pins. Any sdvice?

  19. #19Diesel Dave2025-01-01 18:36

    There is a bushing in the eye of the rod. I doubt the pin is bent, more likely a step is worn into the pin. Cutting the pin as you suggested would be my attack as well. The pin # T48225 is apparently 3/4 “ by 4.72 “ long. Cutting a GR8 bolt to length would work.

  20. #20dream2025-01-03 21:09

    Im liking the way youre thinking. Worst case, I(or whomever comes along after im dirt-napping) can just cut the messed-up grade 8 bolt out again.

  21. #21dream2025-01-07 13:36

    So ive got updates... Seems that a 3/4" x 4 1/4" hitch pin fits perfectly in place of the old pin. Old pin did in fact have a step worn on it, which wouldnt allow it to go up through the cylinder eye. 6" cutoff wheel fixed that. Put the new kit in and reinstalled. Turns out, i put the gland seal in backward. Why am i not surprised? Other than that, its going GREAT... Pics attached for anyone who needs the pin info etc.