Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member-John Deere 210C fuel issue-starts then stops

DaveH_210C ยท 2014-12-22 09:35

Hello all, I've had this 1990 John Deere 210C backhoe for about 4 years. It has worked great. I did have to replace the water pump. I was using it yesterday and it began to loose power. I checked the air filter and it was fine. Now here is where I seemed to have messed up.... I removed the fuel filter and drained it. I replaced it. I used the air removal bolt at the top to remove air. Now when it starts, it runs for 5 seconds or so then dies. I went to the fuel injector control and loosed a drain? bolt. I thought there was air in the line. No change. I loosed the same bolt, just a little, and it started up and ran fine. But fuel was leaking out of the bolt. I tightened it back down and it stalled, again. I think my fuel filter needs to be replaced, but I am not sure. What have I done??? Any help would be great. I do have a manual, but have not looked at it yet. thanks Dave H--

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2014-12-22 10:51

    Sounds like the fuel return from the injection pump is plugging up, take it off and post a pic of what is in there plugging it up. It could be serious. The return typically has small low pressure lines going to the pencil injectors and then continuing on back to the tank. The fitting at the injection pump is what you want to remove and inspect.

  2. #2DaveH_210C2014-12-22 11:07

    Thanks, It may take me a number of days to look. I am at work, sitting in a cube.....Don't get home until after dark. I have been looking through this forum and came to the same conclusion, but did not know where to look. Dave H--

  3. #3hosspuller2014-12-22 12:38

    Appears to be the same problem I had. Does your machine have a Stanadyne injection pump ? If so, there's a check valve on the pump going to the fuel return line. If it is plugged up, clearing the valve is a temporary fix. You'll need to have the pump rebuilt for a real fix. I'm likely very close to your location, PM me and I can talk you through the problem and some solutions.

  4. #4DaveH_210C2015-01-05 15:40

    Problem solved. The check valve was 'stuck'. I did not see any reason for it, but cleaned it and manually moved it up and down. I took the cover off and the fuel in the bowl was clean, no fibers or junk. Put it back together and it works great. Thanks for the help, I never would have understood what to do without the help from this site. Dave H--