Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member/novice question D6-9U

Boyd L. · 2019-06-13 22:32

Until last winter, my late father's D6-9U had sat unused for about 4 years. It has a 24 volt starting system and it took relatively little effort to get it the engine running. Since then I've only run the machine enough to keep the batteries charged and the steering clutches/brakes operating freely. I've got a couple of small tracts of land that need small trees and brush cleared so these would seem to be perfect opportunities for me to learn some operating skills and something about this machine. While doing a lubricant check, the reservoir for the flywheel clutch-oil type (using the service manual terminology) didn't even touch the dipstick so I added fluid. Now when I operate the transmission clutch, the machine doesn't appear to have clutch braking to allow shifting the transmission into a different gear. I can shift between reverse and forward as long as the main gear selector is engaged. If I put it into neutral, then I'm not able to engage either the gear selector or the forward/reverse selector. This wasn't an issue until I added fluid to the flywheel clutch reservoir. I would like to assume the clutch brake can/should be adjusted to correct this but I would like to get feedback from the voices of experience before I start. Thanks, Boyd

Replies6
  1. #1epirbalex2019-06-13 23:05

    What grade of oil did you put in the clutch . I have had the same issue with my old D7 , I went from 30 grade to 50 and back after the same issue . It did help the 50 grade oil when it got warm . Also you might check the clutch brake fibre , it could be worn . No big deal this issue .

  2. #2Boyd L.2019-06-13 23:26

    I think it’s 30 weight. I’m afraid all I can confirm right this instant is that it was a TO-2 spec oil. I’ll inspect the condition of the brake material. Thanks for the feedback.

  3. #3RZucker2019-06-13 23:43

    The clutch brake is easy to adjust, most required forward pressure on the clutch lever to activate the brake. I think lined brake shoes are still available through Cat classic parts. Not a big job to replace them.

  4. #4Boyd L.2019-06-14 00:01

    Many thanks.

  5. #5Joel592019-06-14 08:48

    I replaced my clutch brake lining a year or two ago. It is just a small piece of lining material. It was like $13 dollars. Very cheap and easy to change.

  6. #6Boyd L.2019-06-14 09:59

    Good to know. Thank you.