Hi Guys, Had a 450c delivered today. Runs fine and to my inexperienced hands seems to drive fine. Dug a large rock or two. But after about 30 minutes trying it out I found that it was losing drive in High and Low range. Not only with a load but just while driving up an incline to park it. It just seemed to lose drive (while moving). If someone could offer hints as to what I should be looking at. Guy who sold it to me mentioned having this issue "once" and blamed foaming oil - not sure if he was just saying that for his own peace of mind and was selling me his problems. He seemed to be in a hurry to park it and leave when it was delivered. But I am not looking for justice - think it is a great machine - but need it to drive If I am looking at a clutch or similar it is just going to be one of those things that come from buying used. But would like to know what the next step might be for diagnosis. Thanks for any info or tips you can offer.
JD 450c losing drive We have had extensive experience with the 450C's. Contact me directly, I'm sure I can help you. We can also supply you with parts if need be. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com
Would you like to expand on your statement ? Is there a specific problem that you are aware of that others might benefit from knowing or can check to see if that is the cause of thier problem. :drinkup
JD 450c losing drive Rob: There are a few diagnostic procedures that can be performed to help narrow things down. Clutch shaft, manifold and sealing rings are probably the most common problem. The procedures are fairly lengthy and are easier to convey directly over the phone. A tech manual is a good place to start. Steve.
I appreciate the responses guys. Steve. I will give a call next week. Rob - I will be sure to update the thread with what steps I take through to a final resolution with my clutch/drive issue. I know these forums are great for future reference for others who have similar issues to search (I did a search before asking). Matt
Sorry guys - Guess I was overlooking the basics. The seller checked the transmission oil level in front of me and said it was fine. I checked it today and it was well low. Added a few gallons and put her to use. No real leaks so I guess it has been low for some time. I used her reasonably hard and never encountered the drive issues of the other day so hopefully I am all set. Thank you for your offer of assistance. I will likely be needing some parts soon and give you a call.