I went to the ** dealer and ordered an upper rad hose and fan belt since I had the hood off the tractor. The parts pages on the computer left a lot to be desired. I have a UK built 135 and remember finding the right parts was difficult in the past. It appears to be worse now. The parts woman couldn't find the fan belt. She had to look on the internet to find a part number for it. I knew the length and thankfully once she had the part number could look up the dimensions. The parts page didn't even show the bypass hose that is vertical coming up from the water pump. Thankfully mine seemed to be good and didn't need replacement. After looking for awhile and confirming an updated part number off the internet ordered the hose. The hose is about an inch longer than the hose that came off but fits many different tractors/engines. Is it common to have to sometimes cut OEM hoses to the right length?
OEM ? you mean what sub contracting outfit makes said parts for the OEM. I'd say these days it would be normal. Just be very very happy it is a trim to fit sorta deal, and that the hose is not 4 inches too short.
I don't know why the UK parts are such a problem. Even the paper manuals are confusing. Wouldn't think parts would be that hard to find in the book considering they built over 340,000 135's. During their prime 1 out of every 4 tractors sold in the UK was an MF135. Mine is serial number 3742 and they started at 101. US production couldn't keep up with demand in N. America so UK models were sent over. They were basically UK models but had US style fenders and lights on the fenders instead of the grill like std. UK models. The UK models were all diesel and built a little better than the US models. It's a shame to see pics. of them rotting away due to years of neglect. Restored models bring big bucks. There are companies in the UK that specialize in restoring 135's. I saw one for over $17K!
At least u found it. It’s getting to the point that everything in my field is going “obsolete”.!! Even the factory doesn’t have the parts.!! I had to get a part from the UK this week.!!! Luckily the company was right on the ball and very professional.. even the shipping was reasonable.!!
There are still quite a few Massey Fergeson’s here in the UK. 135’s and 165’s were common place with a few 185’s knocking about also. I had a vintage Harris Ferguson for years. These were petrol/tvo powered and commonly known as ‘Little Grey Fergies’
I let a friend store this thing in my yard.Not sure what make it is though
Not sure what make or model that tractor is? I'm thinking there's a name down the middle of the grill. Now if the tractor was an MF135 or 165, and you were using it extensively I doubt you'd have to upgrade like you did with your D8's. Occasionally need some things repaired or replaced after many hours but keep them maintained and they are more reliable than a claw hammer.
Welder Dave. I am currently in the look out for a deceant tractor to fit a rear mounted hedge cutter on.I’ve figured it needs to be in the 90 hp category
If you want something older I'd look for an MF1105 with a Perkins 6-354 engine. Around 100 HP. An 1135 is the turbo version. There were some issues with the earlier 1100 but the newer versions had the bugs worked out. There is smaller 285/1085 with a 4-318 engine but those engines were known to have issues with head gaskets if I recall. An ** 275 with a 4-248 is another option but might not have enough HP. The 6-354 is one of the best engines ever made and sips fuel. What I don't know is if UK built tractors use the same numbering as the US models. These are older tractors though. I don't know the newer models that much but the 399 and I think 699 are highly regarded. I'd have to do some looking to see the HP of newer models and read up on which tractors to avoid and which tractors are desirable.
Arrg. What the parts woman looked up online was the wrong belt. I tried calling a different branch the same day to double check the part number but they couldn't bring up the order. It was the main branch that is a lot busier but a lot farther away. The woman there came up with the same number I found online myself. I figured since we both had found the same number the first woman probably did too. Wrong! I think she just found a 135 belt but didn't look for a 135UK specific belt. Probably because she couldn't even find the belt in the parts book online and didn't want to look stupid. From what I could find, I think she found a later model 135US belt. It's about 3" longer. I'm kicking myself for not calling back to check the part number. Sucks when you're ready to put something back together but can't because you got the wrong part.
Nick , It is a David Brown Cropmaster .
Thankyou sir. I’ll see if I can get a couple of pics of it
Still cracks me up, License on Everything in UK.