Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Concrete core drills – recommendations

CM1995 · 2024-08-12 19:35

We are currently on a large amphitheater project where our scope of work is some structural fill, rough and finish grading and around a mile of HDPE pipe for surface drains. The mass grade and deep storm sewer was performed in a different contract by others. There are 15-20 cores that will need to be made into pre-cast concrete structures and pipe previously installed for pipe ranging in size from 4" to 18". The majority of cores will be 6" to 10" OD so I am kicking around the idea of buying a core drill and do it ourselves. Obviously the larger 18" cores will need to be performed by our cutting sub. Any recommendations on a core drill and bits that won't break the bank? Would love to have the Milwaukee battery powered version but I can have all the holes cored for less than $7K and we don't have to touch them.

Replies10
  1. #1Tags2024-08-13 06:30

    We use a Hilti setup. Seems to work well, don’t know the model off the top of my head. Don’t think you can buy any bits that are cheap. We bought the Hilti water/vac system as well because the guys were burning bits due to lack of water. We also tend to drill inside of basements time to time and the vac system works very well sucking up the slurry, recycling the water and not making a mess. We recently bought new bits with the vac and they seem to be holding up well since the vac pumps water to the bit.

  2. #2pumkinhead2024-08-13 07:02

    not the cheapest but eibenstock motors have held up well for me

  3. #3crane operator2024-08-13 09:00

    Here- the plumbers and rental places use hilti. I own a small hammer drill, but I wouldn't use a big one like you need, often enough to justify owning one. The concrete cutting guys here charge dearly, and they are usually busy. For two three days, I would probably rent.

  4. #4Long02024-08-14 20:16

    We run a Milwaukee setup and have run up to a 24” bit in it. Good water flow and an operator that is patient enough to let the tool do it’s job is necessary.

  5. #502SILVER2024-08-15 06:58

    I was in the same predicament a few years ago where owning one would advantageous due to timing restraints. I went with a bluerock tools 12z model that does up to 12". The package comes with 12 diamond coring bits, 1" through 12". We used the 12" for manhole boots way more than I expected. It cuts well through the rebar but as stated earlier the operator needs to let the machine ease along. It has sat on the shelf intermittently between jobs and has not failed to start when needed. For the price vs performance I am way ahead on this purchase.

  6. #6CM19952024-08-15 09:58

    Thanks for the reply. The price works well within the core/sub budget. If the machine just lasted the job we would be ahead $$ wise.

  7. #702SILVER2024-08-15 10:48

    I estimate that I have performed 30 cores with this unit on original bits that show little wear

  8. #8Rome242025-01-07 01:01

    What's the best set up for water if you don't have access to a hose bib that still gets u the right amount of water supply thinking of getting a machine just not sure on water tank set up

  9. #9skyking12025-01-07 02:03

    you can get a pump can and just fill it often. example: https://www.toolfetch.com/Husqvarna...-jA2AW2ZVRavx6z6iYiU5Nh1Spld_rUhoCdDQQAvD_BwE If you are the least bit creative you can use a spray can for gardening and cobble up the fittings, if needed.

  10. #10Tags2025-01-07 17:30

    Hilti makes a system that is a vacuum and a water pump. As long as you have electricity, the unit will pump the water to the core drill and recycle it and filter it out. We have had one for about a year now and it seems to work very well. You just fill the unit with water either at the job or before you get to the job and it lasts quite a long time. As long as you’re cutting something relatively smooth that the suction unit that goes around the bit can pick up the water.