Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New old dozer

upnover ยท 2010-04-17 01:05

Here is a bizzare one for you....... Just checking out the dozers on Iron Planet and there is a new 1980 D6D in Texas with 13 hrs on it. Apparently it has been in storage since new! What would cause someone to buy it and not use it for 30 years. Maybe they forgot about it. Cant imagine laying around that long would be good for it and their still asking 40k for it.

Replies13
  1. #1FurakawaMatt2010-04-17 07:30

    I think the Warranty has expired.

  2. #2surfer-joe2010-04-17 12:07

    It will be a bad buy except for parting out. All the seals and hoses will be deteriorated and rotted and oil won't stay in the machine. Nothing less than a complete hose and seal change out will make this unit any good.

  3. #3DPete2010-04-17 12:21

    http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/256730?h=433,displayType=null&view=null

  4. #4upnover2010-04-17 13:02

    Maybe someone can give us the story on it.

  5. #5MrKomatsu2010-04-17 14:40

    it depends where in Tx it is....because the humidity seems to decrease the more east tx. you go...back it 1980 i bought a 1964 chevy impala from a guy who's parents died and it was in a barn in Wymer......the paint was faded and the gas was bad...drained the tank and changed the oil...primed the carb and it started up and we drove it up on the rollback by its own power.....so it depends......but still it may be a bad buy......

  6. #6Jimbo2010-04-17 21:44

    I remember in the late '90s a coal mine in Kentucky "found" a D8K with 27 hours on it--had been in storage since new, and apparently forgotten about. The mine had long since closed, or the Company had gone bankrupt, I forget which, and the salvage company found themselves a piece of treasure. Asking price was $75K if I remember correctly.

  7. #7MrKomatsu2010-04-17 22:25

    Jimbo...if that unit has a spacer plate engine then it is worth at least $250,000. USA dollars..in Mexico........

  8. #8upnover2010-04-20 20:30

    Can you please elaborate on this type of engine? What makes it unique?

  9. #9MrKomatsu2010-04-20 20:34

    more horse power...more things you can do with it....overall better engine....

  10. #10Dirtdozer2010-04-20 20:52

    Surfer Joe you are right about the seals and o rings but. I have some old dozers and scrapers 60 and 70 stuff and they have done there share of sitting. But til this day I still replace stuff that was original. Stuff was just made with better material then. The cylinders will definitely have to be repacked but everything that sits in oil and not exposed should be OK that machine with high hours on it still sales for the 35k range, and its just an outstanding machine

  11. #11oldirt2010-04-20 21:56

    they want a lot more than 40g for it..

  12. #12LonestarCobra2010-04-21 21:17

    Well, that makes 2 of them in Texas that I know of. I lease some land from an individual that has one with 7-10 hours best I remember. He was in the oil business, and bought 3 new 6d's the same day. Two of them got used and have about 7000 hours on them, and the oil boom crashed, and he never needed to use the other one. It has been in a barn since. He does not need any money, and wont sell anything because he does not want to pay tax on the sale. One might be suprised how much rust may have accumulated in the compartments over the years from condensation, and where that dozer is for sale I can assure you it is very humid all year.

  13. #13JakeATF2010-04-21 23:34

    Glad I read this, it will save me some money, thanks!