Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New operator/owner

Shawn-micheal Brunet · 2022-09-22 23:10

Hi there ! I’m trying to inquire more information on the type of grader I’m looking into buying and also like your input on if it’s possible to build a successful small business! it’s grader (road maintenance on logging rds) I have 6 years working for someone in a 772d/g of maintaining the mill roads working 100/160h bi weekly ! I’m looking at a 1998 champion grader outfitted with snow removal snow wing, front bulldozer, scrafer! It’s only got 1700h so will need some well due maintenance! I’m looking also at a used dolly truck and have a e350 old handicap bus as a service truck ! Now what are the things to look/keep a eye on these old girls ! I always here they are tuff mechines but everything has there down sides! And can it be done building a small business with nothing but a grader ! Maybe later add a small dump truck and small excavator to load myself! So far of what I know it’s 2$/tone and there’s 4trucks hulling average 45tones 2/4loads a day each ! And mill pays 165$/h for side jobs (grader) I haven’t got the info for the gravel truck yet ! like to start small and slowly grow and gain experience! The contractor is willing to finance me as I have built a good reputation with my work ! So all in-house to start

Replies25
  1. #1AzIron2022-09-22 23:25

    There is definitely a buissness there 2 big questions is that hourly rate enough and are you borrowing money or can you fund this out of pocket

  2. #2Shawn-micheal Brunet2022-09-22 23:52

    No down requiring! The machine belongs to the contractor who wants me as a sub contractor so the payments will be taken off of my pay! And that’s the going rate for equipment here in northern Ontario, how I see it give myself a small pay to start and rest double down on tools and build a emergency fun I case I need to have shop time

  3. #3suladas2022-09-23 00:25

    If someone can't make extremely good money running a 24 year old grader at $165/hr something is very very wrong, the only exception would be if the grader is a pile of junk and always broken down.

  4. #4suladas2022-09-23 00:26

    There is some things to consider but that sounds like a good pretty deal. But ask yourself, why are they willing to sell you the grader, finance it, and give you work, why would they not just hire an operator for it if that's the only piece they are missing? What happens if there is no work, still paying for it, or just paying on each job until it's paid for? What about if one of you no longer wants to do business with the other? You would need terms in writing in regards to the purchase and financing of the grader to protect yourself, and think of the worst case as far as if you had to find other work for it, how hard would it be? Are you handy with fixing little things? A older grader like that you can't take into a shop to get fixed for things, or pay a dealer to come fix it for the most part, to make money need to be able to fix many things yourself, or someone who will do it for a reasonable price.

  5. #5Coaldust2022-09-23 00:29

    Wait, what? Do you even articulate, Bro? Tell me that machine articulates. Twisty logging roads? Seriously, the turn-table is a nightmare to maintain and time. Parts availability sucks. Welcome to the HEF. Good to have you. Keep us updated on your new adventure.

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-09-23 01:12

    The A in the model (730A)means it articulates. If the hours are correct the grader should be in like new condition. It appears to be a very clean machine but why is the transmission guard unbolted and apparently held up with a tie down strap? Did/does it have trans. issue? Pretty common to see graders go 15,000, 20,000 and more hours. What value are they putting on the grader? The grader would still pretty much be all Champion as it's only a year or less after Volvo purchased Champion. Reading on here Champion were generally less apt to throw codes and stuff than when they went to more Volvo input. If you can get other work with it should be able to make a good living. The grader looks to have all the bells and whistles too including the moveable saddle.

  7. #7Shawn-micheal Brunet2022-09-23 06:34

    Hoses under are all cracked from age ! Like I mentioned lots of maintenance to catch up on ! And yes I’m a welder originally and can do lots on my own mechanics! , grader operators are rare around here ! Specially for my age group (27) and yes it articulates ! And il have about 35km to take care of ! For now ! And as mentioned the mill may have side work for me as I have built a good reputation and they even want to get rid of there in-house grader as they have a big hard time finding a good operator and they fed up of there union guys trashing it ! So there’s definitely work and as said I been taking care of these rds and have history around here so I would literally be the only one who’s owner operator in the reagion and maybe on side do a bit of government work like shoulders of the highway

  8. #8Vetech632022-09-23 07:58

    How much $ for this blade?

  9. #9Welder Dave2022-09-23 12:48

    That's a good price. Find it hard to believe all the hoses are cracked. A bunch of them are protected and out of the sun. I'm wondering if the hour meter is 11,700 hours. That would make more sense.

  10. #10stinky642022-09-23 12:58

    Just something to think about if you're thinking about displacing union guys for that position and you are taking full responsibility for that machine.any old equipment that gets left out in the bush makes an easy target for sabotage...

  11. #11Welder Dave2022-09-23 13:22

    It sounds like the contractor would rather hire him as an owner/operator than rely on the union to send a good operator. Maybe they've had difficulties with grader operators from the union? Could be several reasons why they'd rather finance the machine to him and hire him as an operator. He does all the maintaince could be one of the reasons. It's possible the union operators just run the machines but don't maintain them. Not trying to bash the union, just wondering. I got in trouble the 1st day at a new job at a welding supply because I helped the union truck driver move cylinders. It seemed dumb but apparently you can't help.

  12. #12Tinkerer2022-09-23 15:26

    Welcome to HEF, Shawn-micheal ! I think the contractor sees an opportunity to sell an aging grader. At the same time hire Shawn-micheal as a subcontractor and take a percentage out of the mill payments. Its a win,win for him. It would be in your best interests to have a properly written contract with him that covers all aspects of the deal. IMHO of course. I think a better deal would be to buy the grader from him outright and get a contract from the mill to do their maintenance.

  13. #13joe--h2022-09-23 15:41

    Even has decent tires, I'm astonished! Joe H Edit: These things . are periods. They go at the end of sentences. These !!! are exclamation marks, they are used to denote excitement, surprise or shock.

  14. #14Welder Dave2022-09-23 19:30

    !!!.

  15. #15Tinkerer2022-09-23 19:34

    ......

  16. #16stinky642022-09-23 20:11

    ?????

  17. #17chidog2022-09-24 02:24

    I wish someone would have done that for me at that age. But only with a dozer, I'm just a grader beginner, not a bunch of hours on them, but liked running them.

  18. #18Shawn-micheal Brunet2022-10-27 11:57

    Well been a week I’ve been running it I’m currently trying out the contract/mechine to see if I like it and what’s wrong with it , so far had to change alternator/ecu/transmission controler, going to get 4 cylinders re pack this weekend! Mechine runs nice has no power compared to a 772g but I love being able to stand in the cab while working ! Champions made some nice mechines ! Could used a bit more gauges tho like speed and volts ! , anyhow rn I’m having issues grading like I normally do with a 772 ! Gear two full throttle and 3rd around half feels good to grade on like my 772 but my transmission seems to overheat ! Any thing I should look at upgrading!? I already changed the filters and oil ! Wen I put my laser heat gun it says 67c ! Btw contractor is paying all the repairs of the mechine ! Wants to make sure I can run all the time once we finalize everything

  19. #19oarwhat2022-10-27 17:14

    I'm no expert but 150 degrees F seems like a normal temp for a tranny.

  20. #20skyking12022-10-27 17:45

    That tranny has a fever!! and the only cure is more cowbell!! !!!' !!

  21. #21Shawn-micheal Brunet2022-10-27 19:19

    Then why sensor in my dash just screaming

  22. #22joe--h2022-10-28 00:03

    As he's in Canukistan that would be 150C = 300F. Joe H

  23. #23mitch5042022-10-28 13:19

    he said 67c with IR thermometer. If that is the highest temp anywhere on that tranny, it's not overheating. Are you sure the alarm you are getting is for an overheating transmission?

  24. #24Shawn-micheal Brunet2022-10-28 15:23

    Yup it’s red light on the steering is lit on the temp for transmission and it’s yelling hard ! Might just be a bad sensor if it’s in operation range

  25. #25Silveroddo2023-06-17 11:03

    I've run into that on Cummins powered equipment from that vintage, I think its just a bad sensor tripping the alarm. I've had that intermittently on another machine, gauges read fine, but the alarm gets tripped. How did this deal end up working out?