Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Owner 455G service,parts manual advice

jwalk2c · 2017-07-20 17:00

Hello all, Thanks for this great forum. I just purchased a 1997 455G loader and need operator, parts ,and service manuals. I am familiar with Caterpillar publications, but this is the first time I have owned a John Deere and Actually only my second loader. I worked all my life in the truck parts business, so I am accustomed to learning different parts catalogs. I just signed up at the John Deere web site, and I have been spending some time in the parts catalog, and it seems intuitive, but I really appreciate paper manuals. There are several formats that can be purchased, paper, downloadable, etc. Just thought I would ask for opinions, where to buy, what format, etc. Thanks Johnny Walker

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2017-07-20 17:51

    EBAY is your friend otherwise will have to do a Google search for literature.

  2. #2jwalk2c2017-07-21 13:39

    Thank You Mr Miller. I did find some on Ebay , but not the same publication part numbers as John Deere web site, and they also looked different than pictures on John Deere site. I just don't want to end up with third party manuals that are lacking in detail , similar to car manuals that are sold at auto parts stores. JohnnyWalker

  3. #3jwalk2c2017-07-21 16:35

    I appreciate EBay and I think I now understand the differences in the manuals available. TM1404 14JUN11 is the service manual listed for a 455g on John Deere web site, printed version $186.07. There is an identical p/n TM1404 14JUN11 on EBay for $299 used, but it’s a binder style. There are also softback versions on EBay, which I originally mistook for third party, but I think these must be what John Deere is selling for $186.07 My remaining question is should the purchase of test manual TM1403 15APR03 be considered? Its $366.95 from John Deere. Thanks Johnny Walker

  4. #4DMiller2017-07-21 17:05

    Not sure you will ever need the test manual, much of the equipment to perform you will not have access to anyway. Mostly hydraulics pressures and flows.

  5. #5jwalk2c2017-07-24 11:03

    Thank You. That really helps. I ordered the operators and I am shopping for repair. I do not have the test equipment and would have to hire that work anyway. Johnny

  6. #6jwalk2c2017-07-24 11:05

    I meant operators manual and repair manual.