Hi fellas, first time post. I just picked up a 96 580L with a little under 5k hours. Its been well used, might of been layed on its side at one time, but it starts every time, shifts smooth and stops. Zero cylinder or hose leaks. It has a number of other issues though. 1. 4wd- In 4wd under heavy load, it will click or pop. Sounds like striped gears. baseball card in bike spoke sound. 2. injection pump has a steady drip at or near full throttle. the pump appears to be rebuilt. Drip comes from front of the pump just behind the timing gear case. 3. Gauges, tac and voltage work..... oil temp, coolant temp, and fuel level are all dead. Am i dealing with 3 Different issues or.....? I need a service manual. Good source? Is the NAPA brand HYTRAN ultra fluid good-to-go? No local case dealers. thanks in advance.
Welcome to HEF @Joshm ! 1) I would take a good look at your CV joints at the front axle 2) We will need to know what pump you have on your engine, Bosch or CAV - either way, it seems to be leaking in a strange location. Sure it's not a loose fitting? Pictures of the pump & leak may be required. 3) You likely have 3 different issues, you will need to ground the wires at the sender units & see if the gauges move. 4) Service manual - you wont likely wont find a free PDF, TradeBit lists some downloads at a minimal cost, hard copies on Ebay. 5) I only use genuine CNH Hytrans, so I can't advise an alternative. I'm assuming it is a shuttle shift transmission? The rear axle uses an additive with the CNH Hytrans, only available through your friendly CNH dealer.
Thanks for the input alrman, its a CAV injection pump. Ill look into it further this week, i blew a front tire yesterday so its down for a few days. It is shuttle shift.
Here is a link to a Series 2 manual. I doubt you will find one cheaper than this. --------------> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-580L-...749946?hash=item23abe4bd3a:g:Lr8AAOSw2xRYWaFm
I'm assuming this has that Carraro b*****d front axle.....LOL Like said above, check the CV joints, but check the trunnion caps (upper and lower) for excessive play. I don't know how many of those I have tore apart to find broken bearings allowing the CV joint to bind up during hard torques.
Thx tinkerer I ordered that up this morning. And as far as the front end noise. It clicks without moving. Hard to explain but none of the wheels turn while the noise is being made. And the front trunnion caps do have a bit of play. Both sides upper and lower. I'm building a list of parts
look at your hydraulic pump coupling coming off the front of the crank. There can be issues w/ those. Check the bolts that mount the pump bracket to the engine block. I have seen those break
Re the clicking noise...... are the front engine mounts OK? Maybe the engine fan hitting the radiator shroud?? ..... just a thought
clicking is hard to explain. let me try.... in 2wd if i pull up to a big pile with the loader, and try to take a scoop. the rear wheels will spin. Now if i try to dig into the same large pile while in 4wd. the tractor will push to a certain point. At which point its i loose power to the wheels and it clicks. clicks are proportional to rpm. higher rpm=faster clicking. Its almost like the torque is overcoming something in between the engine and tires. Slipping a clutch or stripping a gear or similar. thx again for the ideas fellas. ive started reading thru the shop manual
Sounds like pinion or ring gear in the front diff.
Could be. I need to find someone to check the front drive shaft while it's doing this. If it spins then it's in the front end, if it's not spinning then it's Likley in the tranny.