Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Pete tridrive and PK100002 Knuckboom

boomguy ยท 2012-02-11 13:59

New pete we are rigging up will add more pictures right away.

Replies31
  1. #1boomguy2012-02-11 14:06

    more pictures of the truck just before it goes in for paint.

  2. #2bpogue2012-02-11 21:51

    Really nice looking rig! That will get the job done.

  3. #3Newman2012-02-11 21:52

    Thats badass!

  4. #4Contraman2012-02-12 02:31

    Now that is a really nice bit of kit - Very Impressive - More photos when completed please

  5. #5tonka2012-02-14 12:24

    Kinda wierd seeing 379 style grill and headlights on a new truck again...

  6. #6DEERE310SG2012-02-15 10:29

    Nice truck ! Kyle

  7. #7Andre Grondin2012-02-15 11:31

    Hi ! who did the twin steer instalation ??

  8. #8boomguy2012-02-18 14:53

    Simard Suspensions out of Stony Plain AB did this one. They do most of the Pete tandem steer's from factory.

  9. #9boomguy2012-02-18 14:55

    It was supossed to have the new headlights but they never came.. o well.

  10. #1095zIV2012-02-18 19:42

    I loved running the Palfinger Knuckles. The Hiiab was my absolute favorite and the Palfinger was next. Here's some charts and info on that beast: http://www.palfingeritalia.com/eng/product/pk-100002-performance www.palfinger.com/palfinger/5135_EN.pdf

  11. #11boomguy2012-03-07 23:27

    here it is done, ready for its first job

  12. #12Newman2012-03-10 21:37

    That is a sweet truck! What does it weigh?

  13. #13CM19952012-03-10 21:56

    That is a helluva truck! Tri-drive and tandem steer, the sticker price must set a new record.

  14. #1495zIV2012-03-10 22:17

    I'd put my money on around 70k

  15. #15boomguy2012-03-20 09:39

    I was very happy at the final weight, it came in under 65000lbs fully rigged. When u think of it, its amazing as the crane has almost the same lifting capaciting as a 38 ton Manitex we have on a tandem tandem Autocar.

  16. #16Nige2012-03-21 18:55

    Interesting truck. Here's our Mack configured in a similar way. It regularly hauls a 100-ton capacity Talbert lowboy (200-ton with the dolly under the kingpin). Also the 85tonne-metre knuckleboom is a really handy lifting tool. Boomguy. What sort of degrees of articulation can you get between the rear drive axles when you go off road..? That's what kills us with our Mack, you have to really carefully what you do with it otherwise it tears out the driveshaft between the diffs of the 2nd & 3rd drive axles. At the moment I'm thinking of ripping the 3 existing drive axles out of it and replacing them with 2 x 120,000 pound planetary-drive axles. The kicker is that when we had it built we were offered a really heavy-duty tandem rear axle setup, but it would mean a 3-month delay on the delivery date that we didn't want, so we went for 3 axles instead. Knowing what we know now we could have waited - hindsight is 20/20 vision as always.

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2012-03-22 00:20

    Nige It looks to me like your Mack has a standard 4'6" axle spacing. That limits driveshaft length between axles, making the slip yolk too short. Is that what happens, the yolk comming apart? It also looks like Boomguy's Pete has a wider axle spacing. Maybe not quite 5'9", but closer to that than 4'6". That would allow a longer yolk, as well as longer torque arms and such for better articulation when the going gets tough. The Mack looks nice, but it looks like more of a road rig, where I bet the Pete is better off road.

  18. #18Nige2012-03-22 07:58

    Jerry, no it's not the slip joint on the drive shaft coming apart, it just tears the u/joints out of it. Good point on the axle spacing. Makes my blood boil when we told Mack that we needed this truck for mostly off-road work and that's what they recommended. Hell we even had the drivetrain configured for a maximum top speed of only 34mph....!! This thing would pull the Titanic up the side of a house.

  19. #19boomguy2012-03-22 17:03

    Ours has a 60" pete air track suspension its one of the first that has been put on a tridrive i have been told so we will see. The Western Star in the fleet has 56"spread with airliner tridrive rear axels and have had no problems with it and it is over 5 years old now Even though its going to be working in the oilpatch i dont think that it will be exposed to what yours has to put up with I have had very good luck with tridrives in the past, one of the bigest issues is greasing the ujoints between the diffs,twice as much as you would normaly would think. They take lots of abuse and it seems that grease and lots of it is the only thing that prolong's thier life.

  20. #20Nige2012-03-22 17:18

    Would it be too much to ask for some close-up photos of the rear tri-drive suspension setup please ..?

  21. #21Nige2012-03-22 17:20

    IIRC our Mack set us back a hair over $300k.

  22. #22hvy 1ton2012-03-22 18:32

    Moving the tridem to 60" spread should help the ujoint exploding. I'm guessing you're problem pops up when going over an obstacle that stuffs the 2nd axle and bottoms out the 3rd. 3 sets of neway suspension would be the easiest way i see to reset the spread to 60". They only go up to 30k an axle if that'd be a problem. Can't help but wonder how well an artic would handle the k-boom and lowboy?

  23. #23CM19952012-03-22 18:38

    That's not too bad considering the crane as well, if you say it fast enough.

  24. #24Nige2012-03-22 18:45

    A tough one. Our 1st & 2nd drive axles are rated at 50k each, the 3rd at 40k. I know it's not perfect, but for what we got including the crane I suppose it was money well-spent. Now if we could just fix those exploding drive shafts .........

  25. #2595zIV2012-03-22 20:46

    Looks like you got a deal then, this one here according to the VP of the company I used to work for was $250K. http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l508/Ray_Nadeau/Misc pics for chat/barrier2.jpg

  26. #26Nige2012-03-23 07:54

    Ooooops. I looked at the wrong numbers. The chassis itself actually came in at slightly under 300k. The crane & associated installation was a further 180k.

  27. #27boomguy2012-03-23 12:18

    Rigged and ready, including signs,radios slings tire chains all the equipment needed was just under 550,000

  28. #28boomguy2012-03-23 12:20

    I will try to get some close up pics if i can. All it really is a 60"tandem pete airtrac with 1 extra axel added. I am sure there is a little more to it than that but really not much.

  29. #29Nige2012-03-23 12:34

    I would appreciate it if you can get some. It's not urgent as in "right now" but I'm looking for ideas as to how we can fix our drive shaft issue, maybe some attention to the suspension linkages might help.

  30. #30Blmreject2012-07-03 15:38

    Nige, I know this is an old thread. Have you made any progress on your driveline issue? based on the fact that you are not pulling the yokes apart and you are going threw geese much quicker then a standard truck, I would then look at pinion angle change throughout suspension travel. The likely answer is that with the short axle spread that and a large amount of pinion deflection, the joints could easily be binding against each other, or be simply out of angle before the axle is. you could remove the drivelines, and cycle the suspension while measuring pinion angle to see if that is the cause. Another test could be to measure static angle, and if its within limits, limit suspension movement and run the truck for a while. If the problem gets better. You will know you're on to something. Its possible, once you know what range of pinion angle on have, that a few adjustments, or possibly a double cardin, or CV shaft could cure the problem. sorry for thread jack, but this thread had been dead for a few months anyway. On another, more appropriate note. How's that monster Pete working out? What a rig! My congratulations.

  31. #31Nige2012-07-04 07:14

    Not dead - just sleeping ................. I'm just off thru the door for the evening. When I've had a bit of a think about where we need to be I'll give you a sensible answer. I might just say screw it and put a 150,000-pound tandem under it